- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Arum wants Pacquiao vs. Mayweather in Macao, China
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- IRON BOY PROMOTIONS ANNOUNCES IRON BOY 16: EL PASO
- Fight Network Presents Galahad vs. Dos Santos LIVE Boxing this Sat. at 5 pm ET
- NY Golden Gloves Champion Earl Newman to make pro debut Oct 4
- The United States’ Jose Alday, Jr., and LeShawn Rodriquez Advance in Leszek Drogosz Competition in Poland
- Mchunu-Wilson Final Press Conference Quotes
- Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Premieres This Saturday on SHOWTIME Immediately Followed By “ALL ACESS: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Epilogue”
World Title Shot For Boxing Big Brother Star Angel McKenzie
Angel McKenzie Steps In To Face Jennifer Retzke, After Mikaela Laurén Pulls Out Of Historic 5th July Title Clash At York Hall.
McKenzie, who is also an artist and singer, shot to fame, in 2009, after being selected as one of the housemates for Big Brother series 10. Whilst not making it to the finale of the series, McKenzie was a popular contestant, a large part due to her quirky sense of humour.
Big Brother wasn’t the only TV show McKenzie appeared on, a year or so later she also made it through to final eight of Noel Edmund’s Red or Black show.
In July 2009, shortly after being evicted from the Big Brother house, McKenzie made history, by taking part in the first Female boxing match to be broadcast live on network TV in the UK.
With many of her former Big Brother housemates ringside, McKenzie put on a solid performance to beat seriously tough Welsh lass Lana Cooper by a 39-37 points margin.
In the past four years since, McKenzie has fought a succession of the sports biggest stars, German GBU/WIBA Welterweight World Champion Jessica Balogun, twice, France’s former #1 Pound for Pound ranked, multi division WBA/WBF/WBC/WIBF/WIBA World Champion Anne Sophie Mathis, Italian WBF/WIBA/WIBF/GBU Lightweight World Champion Lucia Morelli, Belgium IBF/WIBF Lightweight World Champion Delfine Persoon, German WIBF Light Welterweight World Champion Marie Riederer as well as twice fought the girl she is replacing on July 5th, WBA/WBC/WBO title challenger Mikaela Laurén.
Speaking from the studio, where she has been recording her latest album, a clearly pleased McKenzie spoke briefly on the ‘golden opportunity’ she has been presented.
“I’m just one of a handful of female boxers that represent the UK on the world stage. I’ve fought in Italy, France, Denmark, Ireland and so on, but it’s been over three years since I last fought in England.
To get to fight again in my home city really is special for me, to be fighting for a World title makes it even more special.
Jennifer (Retzke) is one of the top boxers in the World, she’s ranked number one with the IBF, so it will be a hard fight, but I’m used to hard fights.
I’ve fought World Champions before, in fact I fought most of the top girls in my career, but usually in their own country. For once I will have the advantage of fighting in front of my home fans.
York Hall is a very special place to box and when the home fans get behind you they really lift you to another level.
I think this is the first time a Women’s World Title fight has headlined an event in the UK, knowing I am one of those making history on July 5th is going to make me even more determined to fight at my very best.
It would be a dream come true to win a World title.”
Jennifer Rezke versus Angel McKenzie, for Light Middleweight World Championship honors, headlines the Dave Murphy, in association with Acourtier Events, promoted ‘Independence Day’ event, which takes place at York Hall in Bethnal Green, London, on Friday 5th July 2013.
Tickets, priced £30 (Gallery), £35 (Ground floor standard seated) and £65 (Ringside) are available on-line at www.tkoboxoffice.com – www.mariannemarston.com – www.acourtier.com – or in person from the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym in Canning town – www.tkoboxinggym.com – and Ringtone Gym in Euston – www.ringtonehealthandfitness.com – or from any of the boxers taking part in the event, or call – 07960 850645, 07809 499896 or 07557 641597 for further information.
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things