Wythenshawe warrior promises fireworks
Kofi Yates is promising an explosive start to his ‘paid for punching’ career, when he debuts at his hometown’s Wythenshawe Forum on VIP Promotions’ March 1 show.
After lacing on the gloves aged 11, at Jimmy Egan’s Boxing Academy in Wythenshawe, Kofi had over 50 amateur bouts and reached an ABA quarter-final before turning over.
Now trained by former WBU ‘world’ champion, Arnie Farnell, the light-welterweight has developed a crowd pleasing pro style and insists fans will be on the edge of their seats come fight-night.
“People can expect fireworks,” revealed Yates, 20, a keen boxing historian who lists Rocky Marciano, Jack Dempsey and Randolph Turpin as his favourite fighters.
“I’m an all-out fighter and a counter puncher on the front foot. I’m exciting and strong and you’re guaranteed your money’s worth when you come and watch me fight.”
On a bill that will showcase some great, young VIP talent, Kofi isn’t the only local set to appear.
Prospects, Jimmy Kelly Jnr and Taz Apergis, make up a trio of ‘Wythenshawe Warriors’ hoping to ‘set the place on fire’, and make boxing a permanent feature again at this once popular fight venue.
“It’s class to be on this show along with Jimmy and Taz, and I’m just over the moon to be boxing at home on my debut,” said Kofi, who doubles as an Ops Manager for a national security firm.
“We’re going to fill it out! The tickets are flying off and between the three of us it’ll be a sell-out.
“They haven’t had pro boxing at the Forum for a long while, I think the last show was when Arnie [Farnell] boxed there [in 2001], so it’s going to be more than a good atmosphere.
“It’ll be jammed in there and you won’t be able to move; it’s going to be electric!”
“This is VIP’s first show of 2013 and I’m really looking forward to it,” stated promoter Steve Wood.
“We’ve got some young talented fighters on this show, as well as cruiserweight Mike Stafford who isn’t far away from fighting for the British title.
“There have been some great nights of boxing at The Forum down the years, and this will be another one. Hopefully this show will be a success and we can return here regularly.”
‘Wythenshawe Warriors’ will take place at the Wythenshawe Forum on March 1. Headlining will be local fighters – Jimmy ‘Kilrain’ Kelly, Taz Apergis and Kofi Yates. Also appearing will be Southport’s Mike Stafford, and Middleton’s Liam Taylor, Matthew Ryan and Jamie Brown.
Tickets, priced at £30 (General), £35.00 (Stage) and £50 (Ringside), are available from all boxers or at www.vipbe.co.uk
Keep updated on VIP Promotions’ news by visiting www.vipboxing.com or follow on Twitter @vipboxing. Currently, you can also watch free fights at www.vipboxing.tv and on the VIP YouTube channel.
- Clarke Back In Action
- Beard Backs Malinga To Beat Hall For World Crown
- ‘Rocky’ Returns After Two Years Out At Wigan
- Michael Jennings: “Matty can’t think past his next fight”
- Price’s ring-return delayed by virus
- Lionell Thompson plans to destroy Ryan Coyne Saturday in Atlantic City
- Local Stars Triumph In WBF Title Fights
- Thrill-a-minute slugger James Kirkland is BACK!
- Dazzling Darren Barker fails to weather the Sturm; Post Fight Video Interviews
- Sakio Bika Draws With Anthony Dirrell: Retains WBC 168 lb Strap
- Malignaggi defeats Judah, wants Broner-Maidana winner
- Rigondeaux dominates Agbeko; Macklin defeats Russ; Kirkland stops Tapia
- Malignaggi decisions Judah; Porter defeats Alexander; Lara beats Trout
- Italy 4-1 Germany: Team Deutschland crushed