- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Weights from “New Blood” in Corona, CA
- Howard Davis Jr. “Donovan, you don’t stand a chance against Dyah”
- MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS CONFIRMED FOR INAUGURAL BOX FAN EXPO TO TAKE PLACE SEPT. 13 IN LAS VEGAS
- FIGHT FANS READY FOR AUGUST 22 ESPN FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS FROM PECHANGA RESORT & CASINO
- Abraham-Smith: kick-off press conference – quotes
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
Brandon Rios to fight in May, possibly against Provodnikov
Former WBA lightweight champion Brandon Rios (31-2-1, 23 KO’s) is expected back in the ring next May against possibly WBO light welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov. Rios is waiting to find out which fighter Manny Pacquiao will take on for his April 12th fight in Las Vegas, Nevada. If Pacquiao selected Tim Bradley, then Rios will be looking to fight Provodikov for his World Boxing Organization 140 lb. title. If Pacquaio selects Provodnikov to fight, then Rios could be fighting Tim Brady for his WBO welterweight title.
The criticism that would come from Rios fighting for a world title against Provodnikov or Bradley stems from the fact that Rios has lost his last two fights and isn’t ranked in the top 15 at either 140 or 147. For Rios to get a title shot off of consecutive defeats and with him being a 2nd tier fighter, it would definitely run a lot of people the wrong way. However, you can bet that the WBO will come to the rescue or Rios once talk begins for him to fight Bradley or Provodnikov.
Whichever guy Rios chooses, you can guess that Rios will likely wind up ranked overnight in the top 15, and that’ll take care of the argument from fans that Rios isn’t ranked in the top 15 by the WBO. What can’t be changed is the fact that Rios has lost his last two fights to Mike Alvarado and Manny Pacquiao, and looked poor in both fights. But that doesn’t matter. Bradley, Provodnikov and Rios are with Top Rank, and that means Rios will still get a fight for the title whether he deserves it or not.
“He [Rios] wants to fight in May,” said Rios’ trainer Robert Garcia to the Boxing Channel. “We’re waiting to see who Manny Pacquiao will decide to fight. If he fights Timothy Bradley, the Provodnikv might be available. And if Pacquiao decides to fight Provodnikov, then we might fight Timothy. Brandon wants to fight the best out there.”
Provodnikov has already expressed interest in fighting Rios next if Provodnikov doesn’t get selected for the Pacquiao fight.
It would be kind of disappointing for Rios to get a title fight against Bradley or Provodnikov off of two straight losses, but that’s how things go in boxing. It’ll be really interesting if Rios gets a title fight off of three straight losses. At that point it’ll be forlorn and I can’t imagine Top Rank remaining patient with Rios. If he can’t win against the best then it’s hard to imagine what they can do with him. Losing every time he fights will work for a while before boxing fans lose complete interest in seeing him on Bob Arum’s cards. Rios was a good fighter when he fought at lightweight to a certain extent, but at 140 and 147, he’s not the same guy. Without the weight advantage that he had while fighting at 135, Rios is little more than a punching bag for the better fighters.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent