- Date change and undercard announced – Golden Boy Live! at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino
- Abraham: I’m ready to defend my title on Saturday night
- Crawford vs Beltran News Conf in Omaha
- Mathews And Dingsdale Collide On Echo Arena Card
- Coyle: Katsidis is only in exciting fights
- Arthur Abraham, Paul Smith Officials Announced
Cayo to Meet García at Historic Hialeah Park Race Track on Special Thursday Edition of ESPN Friday Night Fights
The special Thursday, May 1, edition of ESPN Friday Night Fights presented by Corona Extra and ESPN Deportes’ Noche de Combates presentado por Corona Extra will feature former Super Lightweight title challenger Victor Manuel “Mermelada” Cayo (32-4, 22 KOs) and Roberto “La Amenaza” García (34-3, 22 KOs) in the 10-round Welterweight main event.
New PictureThursday’s show, which will take place outdoors at the historic Hialeah Park Race Track in Hialeah, Fla., will air live at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN2, broadband Spanish-language ESPN Deportes+ and WatchESPN. ESPN Deportes will televise the fights on Saturday, May 3, at 6 p.m. The card is presented by Warriors Boxing.
Joe Tessitore will be ringside with Teddy Atlas describing the action for ESPN2, while studio host Todd Grisham (@GrishamESPN) will present all the latest boxing news and highlights. Delvin Rodríguez and Pablo Viruega will call the fights for Noche de Combates (Fight Night) on ESPN Deportes, while Leopoldo González and Claudia Trejos will anchor the studio.
Friday’s show on ESPN2 will include Atlas’ interview with Heavyweight contender Chris Arreola as he prepares to meet Bermane Stiverne for the WBC World Heavyweight Championship on Saturday, May 10, at 8 p.m. live on ESPN and ESPN Deportes. Friday’s show will also include an interview with Floyd Mayweather Jr. as he prepares for his Welterweight title fight against Marcos Maidana on Saturday, May 3.
The Dominican Republic’s Cayo, who fought current titleholder Marcos Maidana for the WBA Welterweight title in 2010, is coming off a first-round knockout win over Ricardo Veras. García, who hails from Texas, has won his last six fights, including a 10-round split-decision win over Norberto González in his last bout which aired on Friday Night Fights back in February.
“I know Victor Cayo is a good fighter. He’s tough, comes forward. I saw his fight with Maidana – it was a good fight, a tough fight while it lasted,” García’s advisor, Julio Marines said. “He’s a good veteran fighter who’s going to test Roberto, but I believe Roberto stops him in six rounds. I think Roberto is too strong for him. He’s ready to go.”
Friday’s 10-round co-feature will pit undefeated Middleweight Jonathan “Mantequilla” González (17-0-1, 14 KOs), against Rogelio “Porky” Medina (32-5, 26 KOs). In his last outing, showcased on ESPN3, Puerto Rico’s González scored a fifth-round TKO win over Jaison Palomeque, while Mexico’s Medina is looking to continue his winning ways following a first-round knockout win over Fortino Lugo.
ESPN Boxing Next Week:
ESPN will exclusively televise the 12-round World Boxing Council (WBC) World Heavyweight Championship fight and rematch between top-rated contenders Bermane “B. Ware” Stiverne (23-1-1, 20 KOs) and Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (36-3, 31 KOs) live on Saturday, May 10, at 8 p.m. The fight from the USC Galen Center in Los Angeles, will be televised live in the U.S. on ESPN and ESPN Deportes’ Noche de Combates and will be presented by Corona Extra. The fight will also be available on computers, smartphones, tablets, Apple TV, Xbox and Roku via WatchESPN. Read more on ESPN MediaZone.
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint
- Khan could be next for Mayweather, says Floyd Sr
- Groves asks Froch for fight, and gets turned down