- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Floyd Mayweather, Marcos Maidana, Timothy Bradley, and more!
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
- Arum wants Pacquiao vs. Mayweather in Macao, China
- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Atlas: Mayweather did just enough to win
- POPULAR TWO-TIME NEW YORK GOLDEN GLOVES CHAMPION EARL NEWMAN TO MAKE PRO DEBUT ON OCTOBER 4TH AT FOXWOODS RESORT CASINO, IN MASHANTUCKET, CONN.
- Special Afternoon Edition of Fight Night on Broadcast NBC
- TICKET ALERT!! IMP Presents The Pride of Pittsburgh II, Friday November 14th
- TRAVIS SCOTT HEADLINES WFC 30, PROFESSIONAL BOXING IN BATON ROUGE
- JOSEPH “JO JO” DIAZ VS. RAUL “BULE” HIDALGO TO REPLACE ANTONIO TARVER VS. JOHNATHON BANKS AS MAIN EVENT IN MONDAY, SEPT. 29 GOLDEN BOY LIVE! EVENT DUE TO TARVER INJURY
- USA Boxing’s Experienced Women’s Squad Prepare to Travel South of the Border for the 2014 Elite Women’s Continental Championships
ESPN Friday Night Fights Returns To Horseshoe Casino On Feb 28
CHICAGO, IL (February 21, 2014) Chicago’s boxing promotional powerhouses, Hitz Boxing and Round 3 Productions partner with Philadelphia based titan Banner Promotions along with ESPN Friday Night Fights to present an outstanding evening of professional boxing on Friday, FEBRUARY 28 at the Windy City’s premier entertainment venue, Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, Indiana.
“Banner’s Artie Pellulo who I’ve worked with many times in the last twenty years has produced an outstanding fan friendly tournament, “Boxcino 2014” working in conjunction with ESPN.” said Hitz, now in his 25th year of promoting. “We’re thrilled to showcase the first round of this tournament and with the outstanding local talent we’ve added to the show, it’s a terrific evening of sports entertainment.”
“The fights will be fast and furious within the tournament portion,” said Frank Mugnolo of Round 3 Productions. “With the four “Boxcino 2014” fights only scheduled for six rounds and numerous heavy hitters involves, the tournament promises sensational action which Chicago boxing fans have grown accustomed to at the Horseshoe Casino.”
Headlining ESPN Friday Night Fights is the opening round of “Boxcino 2014”, the middleweight single elimination tournament featuring Chicago’s Donatas Bonderavas among the eight combatants in the first round. Each first round matchup will be scheduled for six rounds. (A separate lightweight tournament also telecast on ESPN Friday Night Fights utilizing the same premise will take place concurrently at separate venues in the United States over the coming months.)
“This will be one of the most unique tournaments that boxing has seen in a long time,” said Banner Promotions CEO Arthur Pelullo.
“We are excited at the concept and we believe that new stars will be born. The fans will watch these fighters grow and the fighters know that a great performance will make them a major player in the sport.”
A native of Lithuania, now based in Chicago, Bondorovas, 18-4-1 (6KO’s), will look to stay in the win column against Ithaca, New York based rising prospect, Willie Monroe, 15-1-0 (6KO’s).
Bondorovas is coming off a shutout six round decision over veteran Skyler Thompson at the Horseshoe Casino on September 13, 2013 while southpaw Monroe rides a five bout-winning streak into the Windy City.
Making his United States debut, undefeated Ukrainian middleweight Vitaliy Kopylenko, 22-0-0 (12KO’s), will clash with St. Paul, Minnesota veteran Cerraso “Sir” Fort, 17-2-1 (11KO’s).
Kopylenko will be making the first start of his 2014 campaign, following three knockout victories last year. Fort looks to bounce back after losing to world ranked, cross state rival Caleb Truax on September 21, 2013.
Fighting out of the boxing rich country of Ghana and also making his debut in the U.S., knockout artist Sena Agbeko, 15-0-0 (15KO’s), will battle Austin, Texas warrior Ray Gatica, 13-2-0 (8KO’s).
Agbeko will be looking to utilize the tournament’s multiple rounds to continue his KO streak while Gatica looks for redemption following a very controversial decision loss to former world title challenger Fernando Guerrero on November 11.
Rounding out the first round of “Boxcino 2014’s” middleweight bracket, Los Angeles’ Brandon “The Cannon” Adams, 12-0 (8KO’s), will clash with Floridian veteran, ‘The Haitian Sensation” Daniel Edouard, 23-4-2 (14KO’s).
The 24-year-old Adams is looking to kick his 2014 campaign off with a bang following three devastating knockouts last year while Edouard is returning to the ring following a three-year layoff.
As is the custom at all Hitz Boxing/Round 3 Promotions events, Chicago’s finest prospects will see action in separate bouts including super middleweight Mike “Hollywood” Jimenez, 12-0 (9KO’s), cruiserweight Dimar Ortuz, 9-0 (6KO’s), junior lightweight Fidel Navarrete, 4-0-1 (3KO’s) and lightweight Russell Fiore, 10-2-1 (7KO’s).
Further details on this action packed, world-class card will be announced shortly.
Advance tickets for ESPN Friday Night Fights, are available online through www.Ticketmaster.com. Doors on the evening of the event will open at 7:00 p.m. CT.
The Horseshoe Casino is located at 777 Casino Center Drive in Hammond, Indiana.
For directions and more information visit their website at www.HorseshoeHammond.com
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things