- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
- Masternak joins forces with legendary German coach Wegner
Hunter confident Khan will get Mayweather fight in the near future
Amir Khan may have struck out in trying to land a big money fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. this time, but his trainer Virgil Hunter still sees Khan getting the fight with Mayweather in the near future. Hunter has been told by his contacts that Khan will be getting the fight against Mayweather at some point.
That’s probably true, especially if Khan faces Luis Collazo in his next fight on the undercard of Mayweather’s May 3rd fight against Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Collazo has been mentioned all week long as the guy Khan will be fighting next, and not Adrien Broner.
In fact, Hunter came right out and said that Khan will not be be fighting Broner next. It looks like Golden Boy Promotions will likely put Khan in with a safe opponent to put him in position to face Mayweather either later on this year or next year.
“It’s definitely going to happen,” Hunter told Sky Sports. I am very confident through the circle of people that I speak to. The people who are speaking on that matter are very true to their word so yes that fight will happen.”
Khan increases his chances for the Mayweather fight to happen if he avoids the likes of Keith Thurman and other top welterweights that could potentially beat him. Collazo, if that’s who Khan faces next, is like another Julio Diaz in my view. He’s a decent fighter, but he’s not in the class of the top welterweights in the division. If you throw Collazo in the ring with Thurman, he’ll get knocked out. Freddy Hernandez beat Collazo a few years ago, and that kind of tells you where he’s at.
Hunter dismisses the idea of Khan fight Adrien Broner next by saying “I can tell you this it won’t be Adrien Broner.”
It would be interesting to know which of the two fighters doesn’t want this fight. I can see it coming down to possibly Golden Boy Promotions or maybe Al Haymon for the fight not taking place. If you’re a Broner fan, it wold be a really risky fight for him to face Khan given how bad Broner looked in his last two fights against Marcos Maidana and Paulie Malignaggi. With Khan being so close to a potential cash out fight against Mayweather, he can’t afford a risky fight that could ruin it for him to get his payday fight.
Khan vs. Collazo and Broner vs. John Molina are two fights that could wind up on Mayweather’s undercard on May 3rd. Both are mismatches, and neither of them brings much to the card other than Golden Boy getting the chance of advertising the card with their names.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015