- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
- ‘The Hammer’ To Make Bolton Statement
- Iron Boy Promotions Announces Iron Boy 16: El Paso
- Fight Network Presents Galahad vs. Dos Santos LIVE Boxing this Sat. at 5 pm ET
- NY Golden Gloves Champion Earl Newman to make pro debut Oct 4
- The United States’ Jose Alday, Jr., and LeShawn Rodriquez Advance in Leszek Drogosz Competition in Poland
- Mchunu-Wilson Final Press Conference Quotes
Ian ‘Dappa’ Napa Returns – European Champ To Take Part In Charity Boxing Event Feb 22nd
Later this month, former British and European Bantamweight Champion Ian ‘Dappa’ Napa is set to make a most welcome return to the fray, well sort of, when he takes part in the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym Charity Spar-Boxing Tournament, in association with the World Boxing Union and in aid of the Indee Rose Trust, takes place at the Menzies Prince Regent Hotel, Manor Road, Chigwell, Essex IG8 8AE on Saturday 22nd February 2014.
Ian virtually dominated both the British and European Bantamweight division throughout the 2007 and 2008, winning the Lonsdale belt outright before moving onto the European scene, where he beat Carmelo Ballone to capture the European crown in October 2008.
In 2011 Ian retired from competitive action, but to this day continues to train regularly at the TRAD TKO Gym in Canning Town, as well as happily sharing his extensive knowledge, or donning gloves and headgear for some quality sparring, with some of the famous East End fight factory’s young prospects.
Following one of the aforementioned sparring sessions the ever smiling ‘Dappa’ Napa spoke of his upcoming return to ring action, especially as it is for a good cause.
“Yeah, I’m looking forward to it and it’s all for a good cause, I’m always up for stuff like this, that’s in my nature.
I believe in supporting organisations of all types, I’ve done various things for charity. I’ve also done things for anti knife and gun crime.
I remember that people from all walks of life supported and helped me and it’s good to give back when you can.
Yeah I’m in training, but I already decided that this year that I’ll take up healthy living, unlike the other years when I finished my boxing and everything just went out the window, but now I’ve taken up the healthy living, so I’m training hard, which is good for this event as well.
I’ve been told I’ll be sparring Matthew Marsh for this one, he’s someone I’ve sparred with in the past.
Obviously this is years later, but you know it’s all fun, know what I mean, we’ll have a good time and hopefully raise a lot of money for the Indee Rose Trust – that’s the aim.”
ABOUT THE INDEE ROSE TRUST AND THE SPAR-BOXING TOURNAMENT
For the past few years the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym has held an annual Boxers & Celebrities Charity Football Tournament, in Aid of the Indee Rose Trust, however, due to being let down on a venue in 2013, the illustrious team at the East London fight factory had to rethink their fund raising efforts for this extremely worthwhile cause, that provides support for children who have been diagnosed with a brain or spinal tumour.
Gym partners Johnny Eames and Gianluca Di Caro brainstormed with some of the regular supporters and participants of the Football Tournament, one suggested a Boxing Tournament, featuring some of the TRAD TKO old boys and their rivals.
No surprise that when TRAD TKO former stars boxers, such as WBU Light Heavyweight Champion Tony Oakey, WBU Lightweight Champ Graham Earl and British and European Bantamweight Champion Ian Napa, to name just a few, were approached with the concept, they loved it and in an instant to a man signed up to take part.
Within hours a virtually full card of fights were made, as stars such as WBU Middleweight Champion Wayne Elcock, British & European Cruiserweight Champ Terry Dunstan, WBO Super Featherweight Champion Nicky Cook, British Super Bantamweight Champion Matthew Marsh, Southern Area Champion and WBU Middleweight challenger Gary Logan, Southern Area Light Middleweight Champ Tony Hudson, British Champion Patrick Mullins as well as Gary Barron, Mark Ford, Joe Elfidh, Lee Beavis, along with TRAD TKO Coaches Ben Doughty, Brian O’Shaughnessy, Tony Cesay and Michael Sprott’s coach Andrew Edge signed up to fight.
The TRAD TKO Boxing Gym Charity Spar-Boxing Event, in association with the World Boxing Union and in aid of the Indee Rose Trust, takes place at the Menzies Prince Regent Hotel, Manor Road, Chigwell, Essex IG8 8AE on Saturday 22nd February 2014.
Tickets, priced £80 (inclusive of an evening of quality spar-boxing, three course meal and after party) are available from the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym in Canning Town or through the TKO Box Office – www.tkoboxoffice.com or call the ticket line on 07960 850645.
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things