- Olympians and Champions populate APB’s 60kg Lightweight Category
- Amnat Ruenroeng vs McWilliams Arroyo date change; now on for Sept 10
- Coyle and Ryder heading to Dublin
- Sammy Vasquez Jr. Training Camp Quotes
- Raging Babe online store to launch Friday
- Galahad vs. Cave, Ponds Forge, Sheffield, 20th September
Johnny Garcia’s new opponent and more undercard bouts
February 19, 2014 An opponent for Pro Boxer Johnny Garcia Has Been Announced for Feb. 22 Grand Rapids-Athletes do not pursue a career in the professional boxing world without knowing the risks of the sport, injuries happen regularly and bouts change quickly. Johnny Garcia, of Holland Mich., was preparing to fight Jermaine White from Chicago during Wintertime Warfare at The DeltaPlex Arena, until White faced injury and had to drop out of the fight. “Boxing is crazy but it happens,” Garcia said of injured opponent Jermaine White (17-6, 9 KOs).
“I’m ready for whatever. I’ve been training hard for whomever I fight.” Now Garcia faces a new opponent Angel Hernandez from Gary, Ind. Hernandez is known to be a rugged boxer, who doesn’t back-up and throws many punches. Hernandez may be familiar to local boxing fans because he fought Purnell Gates and lost in a spilt decision at the professional boxing event Slugtoberfest last October. “When Hernandez and Garcia collide the crowd will see fireworks,” said Dennis Shimmell Jr., boxing coach and mentor. “Both fighters are strong and confident, it will entertain boxing fans.” Wintertime Warfare will also feature additional undercard bouts on February 22.
Vincent Jennings (3-0-1), a 2012 National Golden Gloves bronze medalist from Grand Rapids, will be facing Jose Andaluz, whom will be making his professional debut at Wintertime Warfare. Jennings defeated Anthony Molson, also from Grand Rapids, last October at Slugtoberfest. Antonio Urista, Lansing, MI, (3-0, 1KO) will be competing against Jeffery Carpenter, Topeka, Kan., another boxer that will be making his professional debut. Urista is returning to the DeltaPlex after he defeated his opponent at the Slugtoberfest show in 1:37 of the first round. Carpenter is a tough MMA fighter turned boxer and is looking to end Urista’s undefeated streak. Heavyweight Ruben Esparza (1-0), from Holland, Mich., will face Alex Rozman (2-5), from Davenport, Iowa. Esparza is stepping back into the rings after taking his chances at an MMA career. Rozman, a more experience fighter, has 7 pro bouts in his career while Esparza only has one. “With these two big men throwing punches at each other, someone is likely getting KO’d.” stated Dennis Shimmell Jr, boxing trainer and attorney.
THE DELTAPLEX ARENA & CONFERENCE CENTER 2500 TURNER AVE NW GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49544
616-364-9000 PLEXDESK@DELTAPLEX.COM WWW.DELTAPLEX.COM
Doors for the event open at 6 p.m. and the fights begin at 7 p.m. Advance general admission tickets are $25, floor seats are $35. VIP tables are also available. Tickets are available at The DeltaPlex box office during regular business hours, or online at www.deltaplex.com. A portion of the proceeds from Wintertime Warfare are being donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In
- Hatton says Browne could fight Tyson Fury…
- Danny Garcia media workout quotes