- WBC – Sept. 23, 2014 – Mayweather-Pacquiao
- FRANK GALARZA REFLECTS ON PAST WEEKEND’S IMPRESSIVE VICTORY
- Date change and undercard announced – Golden Boy Live! at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino
- Abraham: I’m ready to defend my title on Saturday night
- Crawford vs Beltran News Conf in Omaha
- Mathews And Dingsdale Collide On Echo Arena Card
Jose Gonzalez and prospect John Karl Sosa on Garcia-Herrera Undercard
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO- It’s official, lighweight world contender Jose “Chelo” Gonzalez and prospect John Karl Sosa will be part of the expected show of Saturday, March 15, when their countryman and super lightweight World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Council (WBC) champion Danny “Swift” Garcia, defend his belts against Mauricio Herrera (20-3 , 7 KOs) at the Ruben Rodriguez Coliseum in Bayamon, in a Golden Boy Promotions and Swift Promotions presentation in association with PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP), which will air on Showtime.
With the confirmation of the Gonzalez and Sosa bouts there are five official fights for the first world title card in Puerto Rico since 2012.
“Officially, Chelo Gonzalez and John Karl Sosa will be fighting on March 15, so that we are about to complete the program, which we hope will be a sellout”, said the PRBBP Vice-President, Peter Rivera. “We know that with Chelo Gonzalez winning this fight he is again in way to another world title opportunity and John Karl Sosa we will have him very active this year, beginning on March 15”.
Chelo Gonzalez (22-1, 17 KOs) returns to the ring after a 10 months rest when he faces an opponent to be announced in a lightweight fight scheduled to 10 rounds. The Toa Baja native has not fought since May 11, 2013, when he lost against the World Boxing Organization (WBO) lighweight champion Ricky Burns after retiring at the beginning of the tenth round due to an injury to his left wrist. Gonzalez, was ahead on the three judges’ cards with the same score of 87-84.
Meanwhile, Sosa (8-0, 6 KOs) will make his first fight in nine months when he faces Antonio Sanchez (5-2-2, 3 KOs) in a six round and junior welterweight bout. The undefeated fighter came off a knocked out win in two rounds over Alexis Peña in Dallas, Texas, on June 15, 2013.
Headlining the March 15 show, Swift Garcia (27-0, 16 KOs) will defend his WBA and WBC 140 pounds titles against Mauricio Herrera (20-3, 7 KOs), while heavyweights Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder (30-0, 30 KOs) and Malik ” King” Scott (36-1-1, 13 KOs) will face in an eliminatory WBC bout scheduled to 12 rounds, and former world champions at 122 and 126 pounds Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez (33-3, 30 KOs) and Daniel Ponce de Leon (45-5, 35 KOs) will fight for the International WBO junior lightweight title to 10 rounds.
The complete card, with nine bouts, will be announced shortly.
Tickets for this event are on sale in Ticketcenter, accessing www.tcpr.com calling (787) 792-5000. Prices are $25, $50, $75, $150, $200 and $400.
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Canelo Alvarez Signs Major Agreement with HBO Sports
- Canelo back at HBO; next fight likely Joshua Clottey on December 6th
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint