- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Arum wants Pacquiao vs. Mayweather in Macao, China
- IRON BOY PROMOTIONS ANNOUNCES IRON BOY 16: EL PASO
- Fight Network Presents Galahad vs. Dos Santos LIVE Boxing this Sat. at 5 pm ET
- NY Golden Gloves Champion Earl Newman to make pro debut Oct 4
- The United States’ Jose Alday, Jr., and LeShawn Rodriquez Advance in Leszek Drogosz Competition in Poland
- Mchunu-Wilson Final Press Conference Quotes
- Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Premieres This Saturday on SHOWTIME Immediately Followed By “ALL ACESS: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Epilogue”
Josesito Lopez vs. Aron Martinez Headlines April 24th ESPN’s Thursday Night Fights
Goossen Tutor Promotions is excited to announce a special Thursday edition of ESPN Friday Night Fights presented by Corona Extra and ESPN Deportes’ Noche de Combates presentado por Corona Extra set for APRIL 24 at the beautiful and luxurious Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa in Rancho Mirage, California. The fights will air live at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, and will be available on computers, smartphones, Xbox, Apple TV and Roku via WatchESPN.
Headlining the ESPN Thursday Night Fights will be a sensational 10-round welterweight clash between former world title challenger and Southern California fan favorite Josesito Lopez of Riverside, California against cross-town rival Aron “El Asesino” Martinez of East Los Angeles, California.
Co-featured on the LIVE telecast will be a 10-round light heavyweight clash between recent ESPN Friday Night Fights knockout victor and world ranked contender, Thomas “Top Dog” Williams of Fort Washington, Maryland and tough as nails Mexican veteran Enrique Ornelas of La Habra, California.
Tickets for the ESPN Thursday Night Fights, priced at $40, $30 and $20 can be purchased through The Show Box Office Monday through Sunday 8AM – 8PM PST or online at http://www.hotwatercasino.com. Doors open at 5 PM with the first ESPN bout starting sharp at 6 PM. The event will be held in The Show at the Agua Caliente Resort Casino Spa located at 32-250 Bob Hope Drive in Rancho Mirage, California just off Interstate 10.
“This is Josesito’s opportunity to put himself right back into the mix of one of the hottest divisions in boxing today,” said Dan Goossen, President of Goossen Tutor Promotions. “Quite frankly, Martinez knows the same thing. What’s at stake here is someone’s career, which will bring out the very best from both fighters in what will be terrific for the Southern California boxing fans and those watching the ESPN telecast.”
Continued Goossen, “Along with the great main event, the other star of the ESPN telecast will be where the action takes place. Agua Caliente’s premier concert and events theatre, The Show, will be hosting it’s first world-class boxing telecast where Lopez and Martinez will be joining past headliners like Matchbox Twenty, Tony Bennett, Jay Leno and many more.”
“Because we are off our normal Friday night home, we asked Dan Goossen to provide fight fans with something special for a Thursday night edition of Friday Night Fights,” said Brian Kweder, ESPN senior director of programming and acquisitions. “Having Josesito López headline this card certainly delivers on that promise. López and [Aron] Martínez are action fighters who will deliver a great show.”
Fondly known as “The Riverside Rocky” for his valiant performances and movie star looks, Lopez, 31-6-0 (18 KO’s), is returning to battle following an eighth round stoppage of tough Mike Arnaoutis on December 13.
Among the outstanding performances on his action packed ledger is Lopez’ memorable stoppage of former world champion Victor Ortiz on June 23, 2012 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Taking the fight on short notice and moving up in weight, Lopez thrilled boxing fans with a ninth round stoppage of Ortiz in a battle that featured outstanding two-way action throughout the fight prior to Ortiz succumbing to a broken jaw necessitating the stoppage.
Lopez has twice challenged for world titles over the last eighteen months coming up short in outstanding efforts against Canelo Alvarez and Marcos Maidana but is anxious to return to title contention in 2014.
Known in boxing as a true spoiler, Martinez, 19-2-1 (4 KO’s), has built a reputation for upsets including wins over highly regarded prospects Prenice Brewer, Dashon Johnson and Joseph Elegele.
Like Lopez, Martinez will be making his first start of 2014, having fought on April 26, 2013 in Ontario, California winning a unanimous decision over Alberto Herrera.
On January 24, undefeated light heavyweight prospect Thomas Williams Jr. made an emphatic statement in his first nationally broadcast fight coming off the canvas in the first round to drop perennial contender Cornelius White twice in the same round before the stoppage televised on ESPN Friday Night Fights. The KO win earned Williams the WBO NABO Light Heavyweight Title and a top-10 ESPN Sportscenter spot.
Sporting a record of 16-0-0 with 11 knockouts, the 26-year-old southpaw Williams will look to continue his climb up the world rankings in his clash against the battle tested Ornelas. Williams is currently world ranked #6 by the WBO and # 10 by the IBF.
The 33-year-old Ornelas, 34-8-0 (22 KO’s) has faced a long list of world champions and ranked contenders over his 14-year career and will be looking to use his vast experience to defeat the hard charging Williams.
Included among the notables on Ornelas’ ledger are boxing legend Bernard Hopkins, world champion Beibut Shumenov in addition to Robert Stieglitz, Sam Soliman, Marco Antonio Rubio and Bronco McKart.
A full undercard featuring Southern California area prospects will be announced shortly.
About Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa:
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa, a Four-Diamond property in Rancho Mirage, and Spa Resort Casino in downtown Palm Springs offer the hottest slots, a variety of table games, and high-limit gaming, plus fine dining, shopping, relaxing spas and luxurious hotel rooms, all in a gorgeous resort setting. Both resorts are owned and operated by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians, which also owns the world-famous Indian Canyons and Tahquitz Canyon hiking trails, and Indian Canyons Golf Resort.
For more information, follow Dan Goossen/Goossen Tutor on Twitter @DanGoossen & @GoossenTutor, Josesito Lopez @JosesitoLopez.
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things