- Garcia, Salka, Lamont Peterson & More Conference Call Transcript
- SADAM ALI, ANTHONY PETERSON, MARCUS BROWNE AND SEVERAL HOT PROSPECTS TAKE TO THE RING AUG. 9
- LAMONT PETERSON, ANTHONY PETERSON AND D’MITRIUS BALLARD WASHINGTON D.C. MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES
- MANUEL “TINO” AVILA RETURNS HOME AGAINST UNBEATEN JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT SERGIO FRIAS ON FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES’ GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES FRIDAY, AUGUST 22
- Rod Salka, Edgar Santana & Jarrod Fletcher Relish Chance To Shock The World On Aug. 9 At Barclays Center
- Harley Davidson San Diego to hold Thompson Boxing Promotions “Path to Glory SD Style” Aug. 16
Parkinson’s disease Boxing Program at Gleason’s Gym Brooklyn
New York, NY- (February 5, 2014) Rock Steady Boxing NY/LA, in collaboration with world famous Gleason’s Gym is proud to announce its New York City launch press event. The non-contact boxing based program for people with Parkinson’s disease will be presented at Gleason’s Gym, in Dumbo, Brooklyn on March 5th, 4.00 – 6.00 PM. Rock Steady Boxing NY/LA co-founders Alex Montaldo and Dr. Roberta Marongiu will introduce the program, talk about its history and the way it works. Then we will have Golden Glove boxing Champion Michael Stoute join us for a fun demonstration of our workout drills, followed by testimonials from people with Parkinson’s disease who have seen their quality of life drastically improve since they started taking Rock Steady Boxing classes and got into the FIGHT BACK state of mind. The launch will be followed by a reception. Gleason’s Gym is located at 77 Front Street in Brooklyn, New York 11201.
Press reservations and interview inquiries, please call Michael Martinez at 845-201-8820. Dr. Roberta Marongiu, Alex Montaldo and Michael Stoute are available for interview.
Rock Steady Boxing, the first and only boxing program of its kind in the country, was founded in 2006 by former Marion County Prosecutor, Scott C. Newman, who is living with Parkinson’s disease. Private donations and a personal passion to help others living with the disease allowed Newman to open a small gym and boxing ring in a donated corner of a corporate employee gym as Rock Steady’s first home. Over the years, the program grew exponentially and helped many people re-gain control over their bodies and better their lives by fighting back against Parkinson’s disease. Rock Steady Boxing NY/LA is a non-profit organization and a Rock Steady Boxing affiliate, proud to share the same values and mission.
Rock Steady Boxing NY/LA was founded by Dr. Roberta Marongiu, neuroscientist and Instructor at Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Alex Montaldo, stage and film actor based in New York City and Los Angeles, and Kathleen Glick, entrepreneur and owner of the independent production company Asterian Films. It all started when Roberta witnessed a Rock Steady Boxing demonstration at the 3rd World Parkinson’s Congress in Montreal, about six months ago. She was so impressed by the dynamic and positive nature of the program and how effective it was on both a physical and psychological level that she called her husband Alex right away and shared her excitement with him. He signed on in a heartbeat and lo and behold, he was on a plane to Indianapolis to take the ock Steady Boxing training. Once back in New York, he spoke with Kathleen Glick, who too immediately decided to join the fight against Parkinson’s.
Our mission is to maximize the mental, emotional and physical potential of people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) throught their lives. The program helps them adapt, eliminating the commonly occurring negative self-talk or self-image accompanying this illness. Instead, we emphasize the enhancements possible to their quality of life and ability to perform and enjoy activities of daily living.
Rock Steady Boxing website: http://rocksteadyboxingnyla.com
Michael Stoute earned his Bachelor’s degree from Stony Brook University and is currently working as a Community Life Skills Trainer. Michael is responsible for assisting individals with mental disabilities achieve independence and community inclusion through skills training. In his spare time he trains rigorously in the boxing gym to fulfill his dream of one day becoming a World Champion. He has won numerous amateur titles including the 2013 National PAL Boxing Chamionships and the prestigious NY Golden Gloves.
Dr. Roberta Marongiu is a researcher in Dr. Kaplitt’s Molecular Neurosurgery Laboratory, at Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York City. She has been assisting Dr. Michael G. Kaplitt in developing novel gene therapy approaches for Parkinson’s disease and collaborating with Nobel Laureate Dr. Paul Greengard’s laboratory at The Rockefeller University. Roberta has had the passion for genetics and neuroscience since she was a teenager. Ever since she has gotten her Ph.D., for the last ten years she put all her efforts and enthusiasm into the quest for a therapy to help PD patients. Roberta has always been a staunch believer in the importance of exercise and healthy eating. In the last couple of years, she has been practicing boot camp, boxing, and kickboxing. For more info: http://weillcornellbrainandspine.org/research/roberta-marongiu
Alex Montaldo is a stage and film actor based in New York and Los Angeles. He moved to New York when he was offered a scholarship to study acting at the Lee Strasberg Institute. Aside from his acting career, he has been following his passion for Rock music since he was twelve years old, has been an athlete ever since he can remember and has a degree in clinical psychology. In the past, he has always been socially active, supporting animal protection initiatives and volunteering his time to help create Drama Therapy programs for psychiatric patients. Alex is very proud to be co-founder of Rock Steady Boxing NY/LA, a non-profit organization that provides physical and psychological support for people with Parkinson’s Disease. His website: http://www.alexmontaldo.com/
This event will be streamed on Gleason’s website: http://www.gleasonsgym.net/gleasonsgymustream.html
77 Front Street (DUMBO)
Brooklyn, NY 11201
A Train to High Street
F Train to York Street
1, 2 Trains to Clark Street
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Broner, Matthysse & Berto Featured Sept. 6 On SHOWTIME In Cincinnati
- Kovalev-Caparello Final Press Conference Quotes
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In