- IRON BOY PROMOTIONS PARTNERS WITH TOP RANK BOXING TO PRESENT IRON BOY 15
- WBC – Aug. 28, 2014 – Jose Sulaiman Boxers Fund
- GOLDEN BOY LIVE! RETURNS TO FANTASY SPRINGS RESORT CASINO ON OCTOBER 9 HEADLINED BY “RONNY RIOS VS. ROBINSON CASTELLANOS”
- “Cornered: Kenny Bayless” Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 9 on HBO®
- MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS’ FIGHTER MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES FOR SATURDAY’S SPECIAL EDITION OF SHOBOX: THE NEW GENERATION
- GOLOVKIN VS. RUBIO, Ticket Details, October 18 StubHub Center
Rejuvenated Roberto Garcia Dropping Down to Welterweight, Gunning for Thurman, Porter
Texas-based slugger Roberto “La Amenaza” Garcia (34-3, 22 KOs), fresh off an exciting and impressive ESPN-televised victory over Mexico’s Norberto “Demonio” Gonzalez on February 7, says he’s dropping down to his natural weight of 147 lbs to begin campaigning as a welterweight.
33-year-old Garcia, who came into the fight against Gonzalez as a late substitute opponent, revived his career with his controlled, pressuring performance. He has now set his sights on obtaining a title shot against one of the current champions including IBF Champion Shawn Porter and especially interim WBA World Champion Keith Thurman.
Since losing a decision to multiple world champion Antonio Margarito in 2010, Garcia has come up with six solid victories including decisions over solid contenders Antwone Smith and Gonzalez. In his 13-year career, Garcia has headlined several televised cards and won the Miller Lite Texas Light Middleweight Championship, the Texas State Welterweight Championship, the WBC CABOFE Championship and the IBA Continental Welterweight Championship.
However, the Reynosa, Mexico, native hasn’t been able to make the jump to world-championship status. Garcia blames himself. “I’ve had problems outside of the ring that affected my performances,” he admitted. “I used to get out of shape between fights and didn’t stay together mentally, but my mind is in the right place now. That’s the most important thing for a fighter. My mind and my personal life have never been better and I’m ready to make a serious run at a world title.”
His promoter, Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing, says he’s working hard to get Garcia into position for a title shot.
“Roberto works as a personal trainer now and so he doesn’t get out of shape between fights,” said Margules. “He came into the Gonzalez fight in tremendous shape and took care of business against a very determined opponent. Even on just two weeks’ notice, he showed the determination, dedication and patience it takes to take that final step up the ladder. We are currently working hard to put him in the fights that will finally make him world champion.”
ABOUT WARRIORS BOXING
Launched in 2003, Warriors Boxing operates under a simple philosophy-bring the best boxers in the world to fight fans, match them in competitive bouts, and in doing so help re-establish the sport of boxing for a new generation.
With a series of successful Pay-Per-View shows and packed houses to it’s credit, the Warriors business model is working wonders in a sport that was sorely in need of the innovation and energy that the company brings to the table.
When it comes down to it though, a promotional company is only as good as the fighters and fights it promotes. Warriors Boxing has delivered on all fronts, with outstanding bouts such as Lara-Molina, Cayo-Peterson, Abraham-Miranda I and II, Miranda-Pavlik, Miranda-Green, Ibragimov-Briggs, Ibragimov-Klitschko, Urango-Hatton, Urango-Bailey, Cayo-Maidana and Ibragimov-Holyfield.
For more information on Warriors Boxing, visit their website at www.WarriorsBoxing.com.
- Comanche Boy Cruises To Victory Over Tracy Sneed
- Shannon Briggs destroys Cory Phelps in 1st round TKO
- Don “Da Bomb” George claims IBO Super Middleweight Belt
- Mhlongo & Mlotshwa Impressive In WBF Title Fight Victories
- Results from Friday’s “New Blood” Event in Corona, CA
- Trout gets off the canvas and back into the win column
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Andre Berto Eyes Impressive Showing in September 6 Ring Return
- Marcos Maidana Interview Transcript
- Mexican Boxing Legends Talk Marcos Maidana
- Nonito Donaire vs. Nicholas Walters on October 18th at StubHub Center, Carson, California
- Exciting Times for Randy Petalcorin
- Golovkin-Rubio “Mexican Style” Kick Off
- Jermain Taylor — FESSED UP TO SHOOTING COUSIN … Cops Say