- SADAM ALI, ANTHONY PETERSON, MARCUS BROWNE AND SEVERAL HOT PROSPECTS TAKE TO THE RING AUG. 9
- LAMONT PETERSON, ANTHONY PETERSON AND D’MITRIUS BALLARD WASHINGTON D.C. MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES
- MANUEL “TINO” AVILA RETURNS HOME AGAINST UNBEATEN JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT SERGIO FRIAS ON FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES’ GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES FRIDAY, AUGUST 22
- Rod Salka, Edgar Santana & Jarrod Fletcher Relish Chance To Shock The World On Aug. 9 At Barclays Center
- Harley Davidson San Diego to hold Thompson Boxing Promotions “Path to Glory SD Style” Aug. 16
- Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson has the opportunity to put himself back in line for a world title shot on Saturday
Sosa vs. Brooks April 12 at Bally’s Atlantic City
Atlantic City, NJ—Junior lightweight Jason Sosa, of Camden, NJ, who has knocked out his last six opponents, steps up in class when he takes on Michael “Lefty” Brooks, of Nassau, Long Island, NY, in the scheduled 10-round main event Saturday evening, April 12, in the Grand Ballroom at Bally’s Atlantic City.
The Sosa-Brooks contest tops an eight-fight card which will be streamed live by www.pandafeed.tv First fight is 7.30 p.m.
Sosa (right) 25, has turned his career around in the last 30 months under the guidance of Raul “Chino” Rivas, of Berlin, NJ, who has developed Sosa into an aggressive puncher, both to the head and body.
Sosa’s last two victims, Tyrone Luckey, of Middletown, NJ, and Bryne Green, of Vineland, NJ, both were counted out on their knees after absorbing vicious body shots.
Rivas took over as the go-to guy following Sosa’s 13-month hiatus from boxing. That layoff occurred after Sosa had been stopped in one round by hard-hitting southpaw Treysean Wiggins, of Newburgh, NY, late in 2010 in Atlantic City. It was a fight an out-of-shape Sosa had accepted on 48 hours’ notice against a man two weight classes heavier.
Two draws–one at six rounds, one at eight rounds–with unbeaten Angel Luis Ocasio, of Philadelphia, PA, are the only non-victories on Sosa’s record since Rivas took over late in 2011.
“This is a big fight for me and I’m looking forward to it,” Sosa said, “and I want to thank my promoter (J Russell Peltz) for helping to put me in this position. My only loss was to a left-hander but I’m a different fighter now and Michael Brooks will be another victim on my record. I plan to take the fight right to him. I am never out of the gym and I’ve knocked out my last six opponents and I don’t see any reason for that streak to stop April 12.”
A pro since 2009, Sosa has a record of 11-1-3, 7K0s.
Brooks (left), 26, comes into this fight off a hard 10-round decision loss to unbeaten Karl Dargan, of Philadelphia, PA, last Nov. 16 at Verona, NY.
A pro since 2009, Brooks has a 10-1-1 record, 2 K0s. Against common foes, each man has defeated Joseph “Chip” Perez, of Hartford, CT, Sosa by knockout, Brooks by decision.
“I’m very excited to be given the opportunity to fight a main event in Atlantic City,” Brooks said. “Jason Sosa is a strong fighter on the rise and he has my respect. I have no negativity within myself or within my camp. You’ll see a different Michael Brooks in the ring April 12. The fans are in for a good one and there will be blood.”
Seven additional fights complete the card.
ABOUT APRIL 12
The Sosa-Brooks fight tops an eight-bout card at Bally’s Atlantic City. First fight is 7.30 pm. Tickets are priced at $50 and $75 and they are on sale at the offices of Peltz Boxing (215-765-0922) and all Ticketmaster outlets (800-745-3000). Tickets also are on sale at www.peltzboxing.com and www.ticketmaster.com. www.pandafeed.tv will stream the card on the internet. The card is being promoted by Peltz Boxing Promotions, Inc., in association with Bally’s Atlantic City.
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Broner, Matthysse & Berto Featured Sept. 6 On SHOWTIME In Cincinnati
- Kovalev-Caparello Final Press Conference Quotes
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In