- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
- Video: George Groves - Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Mchunu-Wilson Weigh-in Weights and Photos
- Rockin’ Fights 15 Weigh-In Results: Cletus Seldin, 141 vs. Ramses Gil, 138.8
- Galahad vs. Dos Santos Weigh/In Results
- Weights from Queens, NY: Frank Galarza 153.8 – Jhonathan Batista 152.8
- Kal Yafai / Herold Molina Weigh/In Video
- Ross Burkinshaw: Thoughts after Commonwealth title win
Thompson Boxing Promotions Press Conference Highlights
ORANGE, Calif. (May 7, 2014) – Thompson Boxing Promotions celebrates its 14th Year Anniversary with “New Blood,” a championship triple-header featuring rising lightweight star Jose Roman (16-1-1, 12 KOs) of Garden Grove, Calif. and the hard-hitting Luis Solis (12-2-4, 10 KOs) of Mexico in a battle for the vacant WBC CABOFE Lightweight Championship in the 10-round main event, Friday, May 16, from the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, Calif.
The co-feature pits all-action super bantamweight Juan Reyes (10-1-2, 1 KO) of Riverside against top prospect Isaac Zarate (7-1) of Los Angeles in an 8-round fight. The winner of Reyes vs. Zarate takes home the vacant Super Bantamweight NABF Jr. Title.
The third championship bout of the night showcases IBFA World Light Flyweight Champion Sindy Amador (11-1, 1 KO) of Riverside defending her hardware against the tough and undefeated Maria Suarez (8-0-1) of Santa Maria, Calif. The world championship fight is scheduled for ten, 2-minute rounds.
Tickets priced at $100, $60, & $40 are on sale now and can be purchased online at ThompsonBoxing.com or by phone at 714-935-0900.
PRESS CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS
“We could not think of a better way to mark our fourteenth year anniversary than by promoting a championship triple header. We’ve had such a great ride that it almost doesn’t seem real.”
“More than 1,800 fighters have taken part in our shows and more than 225,000 boxing fans have been treated to entertaining, high quality fights.
“Our upcoming event features young, talented prospects that have a very bright future ahead of them. The public knows a great event when they see one. More than half of our tickets sold in the first week they were available. We fully expect another sell out crowd.”
“We’ve come a long way since we first started promoting shows in May of 2000. We believe in building champions and are committed to the hard work and discipline required to turn prospects into world title contenders.”
“Our May 16 show is a fine example of how we operate. Fans of our events know they have an opportunity to see tomorrow’s boxing stars today. We did it with Yonnhy Perez, Jhonatan Romero, and Timothy Bradley, all world champions, and many more like Josesito Lopez, Darley Perez, Juan Carlos Burgos, and the ‘new blood’ of our talented roster.”
“I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to headline Thompson Boxing’s fourteenth year anniversary event. It’s an honor and I’m going to give the fans in attendance a great show.”
“I’m fighting for my first professional title of any kind so this is a bid deal for me. I prepared well and ready to add another win on my resume. Solis is a tough, quality fighter. He is just as hungry as I am to win this title, but I’ve worked too hard to let him take this from me.”
“Every fight is the same for me. I want to hurt my opponent so bad that he doesn’t want to continue.”
“This is a great chance for me to show boxing fans in California what I’m all about. I’m a pressure fighter that can take a punch and I never back away from a fight.”
“I’ve been in tough fights before so I don’t think Roman is going to give me the amount of trouble that people expect. He’s a great fighter, but I know I can beat him.”
“I’d like to thank Thompson Boxing for featuring me on such an important event. They are a great promotional company and I’m happy to be a part of their team.”
“I always try to put on exciting fights for the fans. I have a relentless motor. Throwing punches from all angles comes naturally to me. I’m not a knockout fighter, but I make up for that by being a volume puncher.”
“There is added motivation in this fight because I’m fighting for a title. In this sport, bigger fights open up for you once you starting winning belts and I’m well aware of that.”
“Reyes is going to get a good fight from me. He’s faced some good prospects, but none as talented as me.”
“I’ve worked so hard to become a world champion. All the hours in the gym, the conditioning, watching my diet, its all for this.”
“My fight against Suarez marks my first world title defense and I know its going to be a war. Suarez is a tough fighter with a great record. I remember how hungry I was when I won my first world title. It’s going to be a brawl.”
“I put in the time and effort that is required to become a world champion boxer. I’m dedicated, hard working, and ready to take the next step in my professional career.”
“On May 16, I’ll do whatever it takes to win that title.”
Rounding out the card is undefeated junior lightweight Mario Amador (5-0, 3 KOs) of Texas. An opponent for Amador will be announced at a later date (4-rounds).
Colombian lightweight Cesar Villarraga (2-0, 1 KO) looks to remain unbeaten against an opponent to be named later (4-rounds).
Northern California bragging rights are on the line when undefeated heavyweights LaRon Mitchell (3-0, 3 KOs) of San Francisco and Derrick Williams (0-2) of Stockton square off in a 4-round fight.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the first bell rings at 7:45 p.m. The Doubletree Hotel is located at 222 N. Vineyard Dr. Ontario, CA 91764 and can be reached at (909) 937-0900.
“New Blood” is presented by Thompson Boxing Promotions and sponsored by Lucas Oil, in association with KCAL 96.7 Rocks!, KOLA 99.9, and LATV Networks.
For additional information please visit ThompsonBoxing.com. For regular updates on our fighters, events, and promotions, please check our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter @ThompsonBoxing and Instagram. To follow the conversation on social media, please use hash tags #ThompsonBoxing, #NewBlood.
- Fight To Educate Boxing Results
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Video: George Groves – Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things