- Team USA’s Queen Underwood and Danyelle Wolf to Compete in Tuesday’s Women’s Continental Championships Action
- Sampson Boxing Signs Prospect Duo from Houston
- WBC: Mayweather-Pacquiao
- FRANK GALARZA REFLECTS ON PAST WEEKEND’S IMPRESSIVE VICTORY
- Date change and undercard announced – Golden Boy Live! at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino
- Abraham: I’m ready to defend my title on Saturday night
World Series of Boxing makes New England Debut Apr. 12 USA vs. Cuba at The Rock
SALEM, N.H. (April 3, 2014) — The first USA vs. Cuba amateur boxing event on American soil, sanctioned by the International Boxing Association (AIBA), will take place Saturday night, April 12 as World Series of Boxing (WSB) makes its New England debut, featuring USA Knockouts versus Cuba Domadores, at Rockingham Park in Salem, New Hampshire.
Developed by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) in 2010, the World Series of Boxing is one of the most exciting emerging sport leagues in the world. Bringing together the best boxers on the planet to compete in a team format across ten weight categories, the WSB represents a whole new way of thinking about boxing.
Being the world’s first truly global boxing league with franchises from four continents – Africa, America, Asia and Europe – the WSB promotes a transparent scoring system, bringing with it a much needed world-leading governance and commercial guidance to international boxing.
This unique team-versus-team approach has resulted in some of the most exciting clashes imaginable between the world’s top fighters on an International scale. USA vs. Mexico, Germany vs. Italy, and Ukraine vs. Russia rank are amongst the major matches that boxing fans have been given the chance to enjoy through the past four seasons of WSB competition.
Team scoring is conducted, based on the outcome of five three-minute bouts, and WSB teams are in two groups, A and B. Cuba qualified for the WSB Playoffs on top of Group B with a 9-1 record, while USA came in fourth in Group B at 4-6.
“It’s always good, once again, to bring back elite boxing such as the World Series of Boxing, Cuba versus USA event on Saturday, April 12 to Rockingham Park,” said Bobby Stephens, Chairman of the New Hampshire Boxing & Wrestling Commission. “Rockingham Park for many years has had great entertainment in the sport of boxing. This event will provide New Hampshire’s boxing fans with a great evening of boxing.”
“We are very excited to bring World Series of Boxing to New Hampshire,” WSB CEO Karim Bouzidi commented. “USA versus Cuba is a major event worldwide, especially in America where it’s never been held before under AIBA sanctioning. Our shows are known for their entertaining matches and finally New England will also be able to enjoy this amazing experience.”
Many of the leading stars of the Cuban Olympic Boxing squad are part of the Domadores, whose logo pays homage to the late three-time Olympic gold medalist and World Champion Teofilo Stevenson. Scheduled to compete against the USA Knockouts on Apr. 12 are two of the best contemporary boxers in the world, heavyweight sensation Erislandy Savon (5-0) and decorated light welterweight (3-1) Yanier Toledo.
Savon’s uncle is three-time Olympic gold medalist Felix Savon, who was also a Cuban heavyweight. The 23-year-old lefthander captured a gold medal at the 2008 World Youth Amateur Boxing Championships and 2009 Pan-American Games.
After fighting in the shadows of Cuban great Guillermo Rigondeaux for many years, Toledo has established himself as a world-class boxer, highlighted by his bronze medal performance at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. The slick southpaw won the 2011 Pan-Am champion, as well as a two-time silver medalist at the World Championships.
USA Knockouts vs. Cuba Domadores will air (9-11 p.m. ET) on Univision, in addition to being viewed around the world in 80 different countries.
Ticket prices are $50.00 for VIP reserved ringside (first two rows), $20 general admission, and are on sale at the Rockingham Park box office.
For more information, please visit www.worldseriesofboxing.com or www.rockinghampark.com.
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Canelo Alvarez Signs Major Agreement with HBO Sports
- Canelo back at HBO; next fight likely Joshua Clottey on December 6th
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint