Google+ Button Facebook Button Twitter Button



Ads by Yahoo

You are here:


Maidana plans on using Everlast Powerlock gloves for Mayweather fight

In an effort to avoid any problems with his gloves getting approved by WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KOs) in their rematch on September 13th, Maidana plans on wearing the same gloves – Everlast Powerlock – that he used in his first fight against Mayweather last May when Maidana lost a 12 round majority decision at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Maidana has been using the Powerlock gloves and has gotten used to wearing them. Whether Mayweather will say yes to Maidana wearing them a second time is unclear, but there shouldn’t be any reason why Mayweather won’t accept them a second time if they’re truly the same gloves as before. Continue reading

Mayweather Sr: Floyd Jr’s mind better for rematch with Maidana

Trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr says his son Floyd Jr’s mind is in a better place for the second fight with Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 Kos) than it was the first time they fought last May at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Mayweather Jr had hand problems going into that fight, and he and his fiancé Shantel Jackson had just recently broken up at the time. It was a lot of things happening at around the same time that Mayweather fought Maidana that could have negatively impacted his performance in the ring in that fight. Continue reading

Mayweather has new fight strategy Maidana won’t be ready for, says Nate Jones

WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KOs) has some tricks that he plans on unveiling on Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs) in their rematch next month, says Mayweather’s training assistant Nate Jones. He’s not saying what those tricks are, but he believes that Maidana won’t be expecting them.

Unless is good at adapting, which he probably isn’t, he’s going to have some problems when he gets in the ring against Mayweather on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Continue reading

Marco Huck vs. Mirko Larghetti this Saturday in Germany

WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (37-2-1, 26 KOs) will be taking what should be a very easily voluntary title defense this Saturday, August 30th against fringe contender #12 WBO Mirko Larghett (21-0, 13 KOs) at the Gerry Weber Stadium, Halle, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

This will be the 29-year-old Huck’s 13th title defense of his WBO strap that he won back in 2009 with a 12 round decision over Victor Ramirez. Continue reading

Wilder vs. Stiverne and Garcia vs. Postol purse bids ordered for September 12th by WBC

It looks like boxing fans won’t get to see a fight between IBF light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson and WBA/WBC 140 pound champion Danny Garcia for later this year, because the World Boxing Council has ordered a purse bid for the fight between Garcia and his mandatory challenger #1 WBC Viktor Postol (26-0, 11 KOs) for September 12th.

Garcia and Peterson could still face each other instead by getting permission by the WBC for a unification match, but it’s unclear how much interest there is in such a match-up. There was talk that if the fight did happen between them, it would be another catch-weight fight like Garcia’s recent bout against Rod Salka and Peterson’s fight last year against Lucas Matthysse. Continue reading

Angulo in make or break fight against De La Rosa on Mayweather-Maidana 2 card

Alfredo Angulo (22-4, 18 KOs) partially explains away his last two defeats to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Erislandy Lara by him fighting in the wrong weight class. Angulo, 32, has now moved up to middleweight and he hopes that he’ll be able to restart his career with a victory in his next fight against James De La Rosa (22-2, 13 KOs) on the Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana 2 fight card on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Golden Boy Promotions isn’t doing Angulo any favors by matching him against De La Rosa, because this guy is a tough opponent for a fighter coming off the kind of beat down Angulo suffered in his last fight against Canelo. Continue reading

Kell Brook: Patience is a Virtue

Flash back to mid-April 2013, when Kell Brook was cruelly forced to withdraw from his IBF World Welterweight title clash with then ruler Devon Alexander in Atlantic City with a stress fracture to the foot, you couldn’t help but think that sadly that might have been it for the unbeaten Sheffield stylist. At that stage 29-0, Brook was forced to watch on from home as Golden Boy looked elsewhere, with no room for further postponements, with the fight being rescheduled twice already due to injuries on both sides. The game but ultimately outclassed Lee Purdy stepped in to fill the void, while Brook found himself seemingly at the back of the queue in what is widely understood as boxing’s hottest division.

Only Brook and those close to him will know just how dark it got over those next couple of months, as everything he had worked so hard to achieve began to crumble around him. Not long after in a candid interview with former stable mate Johnny Nelson, Brook confided that at one stage he consider his future in the game. Thankfully, this never materialised, due to a mixture of family, friend and promotional support, but most of all due to a personal fortitude that would serve him so well in the future. Continue reading

Cotto not expected to face a high caliber opponent in December

WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) and his trainer Freddie Roach wanted to capture the WBC 160 pound strap for legacy purposes. Cotto wanted to win a 4th division world title, because it’s something he valued and he felt that it would validate his career.

Now that Cotto has the belt after beating 39-year-old Sergio Martinez instead of someone a little younger and active like WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, there’s talk that Cotto will possibly be facing a weak opponent for his next fight on December 13th. Continue reading

Is Pacquiao-Algieri a pay-per-view worthy fight?

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 Kos) and his little known opponent Chris Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs) will start their 6-city press tour this Monday at The Venetian in Macau, China. The tour is designed to try and attract interest in Pacquiao’s HBO pay-per-view fight against the 30-year-old Algieri on November 22nd in Macao.

Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum is hoping that the press tour, combined with the many interviews Algieri and Pacquiao will be giving in the coming months, will be enough to make the Pacquiao-Algieri fight a success on PPV. Continue reading