Google+ Button Facebook Button Twitter Button




Audley Harrison: Deontay Wilder punches like a mule, he could beat David Price

 Audley Harrison: Deontay Wilder punches like a mule, he could beat David PriceBy Michael Collins: Former 2000 super heavyweight Olympic gold medalist Audley Harrison (28-5, 21 KO’s) figures he’s had the best preparation available for his fight next Saturday night on October 13th against British heavyweight champion David Price (13-0, 11 KO’s) at the Echo Arena, in Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom.

Harrison, 40, just spent four weeks with unbeaten former 2008 heavyweight Olympic bronze medalist Deontay Wilder (25-0, 25 KO’s) taking him through some tough sparring sessions and Harrison sees himself ready to take anything that Price can give after surviving those four weeks with the big 6’7″ Wilder.

Harrison told Sky Sports News “I’ve found people that can match David Price and possibly beat David Price. Deontay Wilder. That’s the best sparring I can get for David Price…Deontay Wilder punches like a mule, and he’s fast. And I had four weeks of him, and some days he was catching me with clean shots. I know I’m going to be able to take [Price's punches].” Continue reading

Khan vs Molina on Showtime on December 15th

 Khan vs Molina on Showtime on December 15thBy Michael Collins: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) now has a venue, a U.S cable network carrier and a date for his next fight against lightweight Carlos Molina (17-0, 17 KO’s). Khan, 25, will be fighting Molina on December 15th on Showtime on in the U.S. a the Sports Arena, in Los Angeles, California. It’s a date the conflicts with a Top Rank card headlined by WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley possibly against light welterweight Lamont Peterson on HBO. As such, the audience for both fights will be much less than could be, not either of the main events are all that interesting.

One question you have to wonder about is whether Khan’s promoters at Golden Boy Promotions attempted to sell the Khan vs. Molina fight to HBO first and were turned down? HBO is where Khan’s fights have been televised recently in the U.S, and there have been rumors that they previously turned offers of Khan vs. Joan Guzman and Khan vs. Humberto Soto. If so, then it’s not surprising that they might have turned down Khan-Molina because this fight would seem a much bigger mismatch than those fight.

I’d pick Guzman and Soto to beat Molina every day of the week. I rate them as much better fighters than Molina. Not even close. The only thing that I can see that Molina has going for him is an unbeaten record but those wins have come against weak opposition, so it’s really not surprising that he still has an unbeaten record. Continue reading

Cotto says he wasn’t offered $13 million for Pacquiao rematch

 Cotto says he wasnt offered $13 million for Pacquiao rematchBy Michael Collins: Former WBA World junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is saying that he was never offered the $13 million to fight Manny Pacquiao in a rematch, according to ESPN. Cotto claims that he was given the exact same deal as he did when he fought Pacquiao at a catchweight of 145 lbs back in 2009. Because the offer was the same for a rematch, Cotto decided not to fight Pacquiao a second time. Cotto also didn’t like the idea of fighting Pacquiao at a catchwweight of 150 pounds, which would have likely benefited more than Cotto.

Cotto said in an interview by Dan Rafael at ESPN “The only offer Top Rank ever made us was the same money as in 2009. [Arum] made the same offer he made in 2009, and we found it kind of funny. That was the reason we decided not to face Pacquiao. That, and they also wanted me to go down to 150 pounds and given him the same advantage that they gave Pacquiao in 2009.”

The last time it was a catchweight of 145 lbs, but now it’s a little higher at 150. However, Cotto has filled out since then and it’s a lot harder for him to boil down to make weight. It’s not all that surprising that Cotto didn’t want to have to deal with another catchweight after the bad experience he had the last time he fought Pacquiao. Continue reading

Pacquiao starts training camp on October 15th; Marquez already training in Mexico

 Pacquiao starts training camp on October 15th; Marquez already training in MexicoBy Rob Smith: Manny Pacquiao will be starting his training camp on October 15th with trainer Freddie Roach at the Wildcard Gym in Los Angeles, California. Pacquiao and Roach plan on trying to take Pacquiao back to where he was in his earlier days when he was a seek and destroy fighter. For whatever reason Pacquiao has evolved into a slow plodder that moves with great effort, can’t cut off a ring very well, and who only fights hard for the last 30 to 40 seconds of every round. Pacquiao thinks he can get back to the form of his early youth by working out harder.

Pacquiao is currently being put through his paces by one of his team members Buboy Fernandez, but this isn’t the official start of his training camp.

As for Marquez, he’s already busy working out in the mountains of Mexico and is reportedly training at the 15,354 foot Nevado de Toluca, in the mounts of Mexico to work on his conditioning. According to the Manila Bulletin, Marquez plans on working at high altitude for 10 days to build up his endurance for the Pacquiao fight. Continue reading

Chavez Jr. denies smoking marijuana

 Chavez Jr. denies smoking marijuana(Photo credit: Adrian Hernandez) By Rob Smith: In an interesting development former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KO’s) is now coming out after nearly three weeks to comment on his positive marijuana test result for his last fight against Sergio Martinez last month on December 15th. Believe it or not, Chavez Jr. is saying that he never actually smoked the marijuana that he tested positive for. Instead of smoking it, Chavez Jr. says he drank with his tea.

Chavez Jr. said this as quoted by the Record.com.mx “In California it is legal cannabis (marijuana), so I was told, it would help me sleep and relax, and when I checked with the doctor told me that the only problem was the smoke, so I made a tea or few drops … and that’s what I took, but I have never smoked marijuana…I have problems with nerves…I am not a drug addict.”

A doctor? So we’ve got another fighter that is under the doctor’s care for a banned substance. We had IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson come and say he was under a doctor’s care when he tested positive for synthetic testosterone while training for a rematch with Amir Khan. Continue reading

Corrie Sanders – Days of Glory: A Sniper is Laid To Rest

By Phenyo Molefe: Corrie Sanders’ life was celebrated as more than a thousand friends, family and sports personalities from various disciplines gathered on Monday to bid him farewell in a ceremony held in Pretoria, South Africa.

Just over a week ago one of boxing’s own sons sustained fatal gunshot wounds while attempting to shield his daughter from harm. Speculation has flared an investigation into claims his death could have been averted had he not been turned away from first hospital he was sent to. His murderers made their first court appearance earlier this week and remain incarcerated. The coming weeks or months may give us greater detail pertaining to events leading to his death however the details pertaining to his boxing career remain clear to us. Continue reading

Jorge Linares attempts to jumpstart his career on October 6th

 Jorge Linares attempts to jumpstart his career on October 6thBy Joseph Herron: Almost three years ago to the day, a young talent from Venezuela was the toast of the boxing world. Despite fighting almost exclusively in Tokyo, Japan, throughout the first five years of his professional career, Jorge Linares had already become a two division world champion and had entered the elite level discussion among fight scribes at the tender age of 24.

The heralded young fighter was making his second WBA World Super Featherweight title defense against tough Mexican prospect Juan Carlos Salgado, who was undefeated with a 20-0-1, 15 KO record. Although Salgado was a respected young fighter, he wasn’t considered to be a legitimate threat to the “Golden Boy’s” crown.

Jorge’s combination of natural athleticism and technical brilliance made him the favorite in most proposed match-ups at 130 pounds, and his title defense on October 10th, 2009, was no exception in the eyes of the boxing world.

At 27-0 with 19 knock-outs, the sky was the limit for the fighter most affectionately known as “El Nino de Oro”. Continue reading

Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado: Fighting for respect on October 13th

 Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado: Fighting for respect on October 13th(Photo credit: Adrian Hernandez) By Joseph Herron: In the midst of making their final preparations for their highly anticipated October 13th showdown at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios (30-0-1, 22 KOs) and “Mile High” Mike Alvarado (33-0, 23 KOs) have made it abundantly clear that winning the fight isn’t their lone objective.

“I want to make history on October 13th,” proclaimed Brandon Rios. “I want to make a statement in my fight with Mike Alvarado and show everyone a legendary battle. I’ve always wanted to be a part of a fight like Gatti/Ward. Hopefully my fight with Alvarado on October 13th is that fight.”

“I love to fight. I love hitting people in the face and I love to get hit. A heavyweight could punch me and I’d still love it.”

“The way I fight and the way he fights, it’s going to be a war. I know it’s going to be a tough fight but it’s going to be an exciting fight for the fans. We both have the same styles and I don’t change my style for anyone.” Continue reading

Donaire: My fight with Nishioka is #1 challenging to become the #1

By Dwight Chittenden: IBF/WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (29-1, 18 KO’s) has his mind made up that his fight against former WBC lightweight champion Toshiaki Nishioka (39-4-3, 24 KO’s) is a bout pitting the two best fighters at 122 going up against each other on October 13th at the Home Depot Center, in Carson, California, United States. What’s interesting is how different Donaire sees this fight compared to the average boxing fan who have seen Nishioka fight recently. To many of them, this is just another one of Donaire’s fight against a guy that isn’t on his level, and hardly a fight against the number #1 super bantamweight fighter in the division. Continue reading

Khan to unveil his new defense against Carlos Molina in December

 Khan to unveil his new defense against Carlos Molina in DecemberBy Michael Collins: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) will unveil his new defensive skills learned from his new trainer Virgil Hunter when Khan faces 5’6″ lightweight Carlos Molina (17-0, 7 KO’s) in December in a still to be determined date. December 15th is the most likely date for the Khan-Molina fight, and it’s still not official that the fight will be aired on Showtime in the United States, although that’s what’s being said.

Khan said to Sky Sports News “I’m going to work on a new defense, new tactics for the next fight…I think Virgil Hunter will bring out the best in me…I was winning the fight against Danny Garcia quite easily and then I started to getting into a fight with him which is not my stye.”

Hunter is a trainer that is known for his ability teach defensive techniques. He did a great job on building WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward from a young fighter to a champion. However, Hunter can teach things but Khan has to be willing to learn what he’s being told and apply in the ring. Teaching skills like defense takes a long time because a lot of fighters tend to fall back into their old habits when the going gets tough and they start getting hit. Continue reading

Broner: DeMarco won’t be able to touch me

 Broner: DeMarco wont be able to touch meBy Rob Smith: Adrien Broner (24-0, 20 KO’s) isn’t worried in the least about the so-called huge power of his opponent WBC lightweight champion Antonio DeMarco (28-2-1, 21 KO’s) going into their fight next month on HBO at the Boardwalk Hall, in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The way that the 23-year-old Broner sees it DeMarco isn’t going to be able to land his big his big power shots in the fight because Broner will pick them off or make him miss entirely.

Broner said to RingTV “I don’t think that this guy [DeMarco] wll be able to touch me…He’s going to try to come in and do some different things…but at the end of the day once you get hit… you back to what you know.”

I really don’t see DeMarco doing anything different than what he’s always done. If DeMarco is going to try anything different in this fight it’ll probably be in trying to put more pressure on Broner by cutting off the ring and forcing him to fight in an all out war. That’s about the only thing that DeMarco can really tweak in his game. He’s not real fast and he’s not quick on his feet. His game is already 100% pure offense, and the only thing he can do any different is to fight harder or back off. Continue reading

Nonito Donaire vs. Toshiaki Nishioka: Too much risk for the reward?

 Nonito Donaire vs. Toshiaki Nishioka: Too much risk for the reward?(Photo credit: Adrian Hernandez) By Joseph Herron: On October 13th, at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, pound for pound fighter and IBF/WBO Super Bantamweight Champion Nonito Donaire (29-1, 18 KOs) will attempt to acquire the WBC Diamond distinction when he faces WBC Champion Emeritus Toshiaki Nishioka (39-4-3, 24 KOs).

Although die-hard boxing fans and fight scribes in “the know” recognize the dangers in facing a world class fighter and versatile boxer/puncher like the Tokyo, Japan resident, most casual fans who aren’t familiar with Nishioka won’t appreciate how daunting of a task earning a decisive victory will be.

Although the 18 year ring veteran has been inactive for almost a full calendar year, Toshiaki Nishioka is one of the more intelligent fighters in boxing, displaying the ability to adapt to his opponent’s strengths and exploit their weaknesses. Continue reading

Oosthuizen defends IBO 168 lb title against Zuniga on November 10th

By Marcus Richardson: Undefeated IBO super middleweight champion Thomas Oosthuizen (20-0-1, 13 KO’s) will be staying busy with what should be an easy title defense next month against Colombian Fulgencio Zuniga (25-5-1, 22 KO’s) on November 10th at the Emperor’s Palace, Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa. Continue reading

Bellew to fight Bolonti on Froch vs. Mack card on November 17th

 Bellew to fight Bolonti on Froch vs. Mack card on November 17thBy Michael Collins: Making his first defense of his WBC International Silver light heavyweight strap, Tony Bellew (18-1, 12 KO’s) has a fight coming up against Argentinian Roberto Bolonti (30-1, 19 KO’s) on November 17th on the undercard of the Carl Froch – Yusaf Mack fight at the Capital FM Arena, in Nottingham, England. According to the 29-year-old Bellew this was the highest ranking contender that was willing to face him on short notice like this. The fact that Bolonti so readily agreed to take the fight suggests that he sees something in Bellew’s fighting style that makes him believe he can win this fight.

In an interview at IFilm London, Bellew said “I think his [Bolonti] weakness is his defense, and the way to get to him is to pressure him. It’s another step up the ladder.”

Bellew is coming off of two good victories over Danny McIntosh and Edison Miranda in his last two fights with both victories coming by knockout. Before that, Bellew lost a controversial 12 round majority decision against WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly last year in October in a fight that appeared to be a draw at the least, if not a victory for Bellew. However, Bellew needed to put in an especially strong effort if he wanted to get a win because he was after all the challenger. Continue reading

News: Arum already has Pacquiao scheduled for April 20th next year

 News: Arum already has Pacquiao scheduled for April 20th next yearBy Dwight Chittenden: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has already penciled in his number #1 money fighter Manny Pacquiao for April 20th of next year against a still to be determined opponent. Arum scheduling Pacquiao ahead of time isn’t really anything new, but it is perhaps an indication that Arum isn’t all that interested in putting Pacquiao in with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

It’s either that or Arum just doesn’t think a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao is attainable by that date. Arum would likely know, as it’s pretty clear that Pacquiao won’t be getting a 50-50 deal with Mayweather if they fight next year. Arum has always insisted that Pacquiao deserves nothing less than a 50-50 deal. But by setting a date in early 2013, you could interpret as a signal that Arum is trying to give Mayweather the brush off because this move will surely do.

Arum said to the Manila Bulletin “I have talked with Manny and we agreed to hold this fight on April 20th.” Continue reading

Past Boxing News