- American heavyweight sensation Jarrell Miller on MSG tonight
- Lightweight Jose Roman Training Camp Notes
- GOLOVKIN/RUBIO Standing Room Only Tickets on Sale Today at 1pm PT!!!
- Wright vs Bujaj on MSG tonight
- Kal Yafai is looking to add a second major title to his collection
- Andy Gatenby seeking sixth straight win
- Donaire-Walters World Title Rumble, Saturday, Oct. 18, Live on HBO
Most Read Articles
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Video: George Groves - Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
Ads by Yahoo
- If Ellerbe cheated on Floyd ?
- If Roman Gonzalez takes Ali Raymi's challenge?
- Fat Dan Says Floyd-Maidana 2 High 800's In PPV's
- Mayweather could lose Promoter license after "Dog House fighting" in Gym
- Amir Khan gets too much press for a guy knocked out twice.
- Do you think Danny Garcia can really beat Pacquiao?
- When have Floyd fans ever say they dont want to see the Pac fight???
by Paul Strauss: When did take downs (ala MMA) slip into boxing contests? Boxing is supposed to be the sweet science confined to footwork, punching, blocking, and slipping punches and numerous other refinements. An occasional clinch is permissable, but when done in excess, penalties are imposed. But, “take downs” are strictly “verboten”. If a fighter wants to engage in such tactics, he is encouraged to take up a different sport such as martial arts or MMA.
Last night at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, The Joint in Las Vegas, NV, Richard Abril 18-3-1 (8 KOs) was subjected to at least two successful take downs and multiple head butts on the part of Sharif “The Lion” Bogere 23-1-0 (15 KOs) Abril’s upright body was mauled by The lunging Lion and tossed down to the canvas. It’s probably doing MMA a disservice by comparing what happened in last night’s contest to MMA. No, what happened last night was just plain ugly. Abril was forced to do his best to ward off the flaying swings, head butts, attempted headlocks, and hip tosses engaged in by Bogere, which lacked the grace or nobility of a lion. Continue reading →
George Groves has withdrawn from the Wembley Arena show promoted by Frank Warren on Saturday 16th March.
Groves was due to challenge for the Vacant European Super-Middleweight title against Mohamed Ali Ndiaye that Mr. Warren won the purse bid for on January 11th. Continue reading →
It may not have been an artistic success, but WBA Lightweight World Champion Richar “El Tigre” Abril will take it.
“I am very happy to get the win, but I’m not happy at all with the way the fight went,” said Abril after retaining his WBA 135-pound title with a unanimous 12-round decision over previously undefeated Sharif “The Lion” Bogere in the main event of Saturday’s SHOWTIME BOXING – Special Edition live on SHOWTIME® from The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
The lanky, Cuban-born Abril (18-3-1, 8 KO’s), of Miami, Fla., won his first title defense by the scores of 116-110 twice and 115-111. Bogere, a Ugandan living in Las Vegas, dropped to 23-1 with 15 knockouts. Continue reading →
World Boxing Federation Women’s World Super Featherweight Champion Ramona “The Dragon” Kuehne returned to the ring after a fourteen month injury lay-off to successfully defend her title on Saturday night, March 2, at the MBS Arena in Potsdam, Germany.
More than 3000 fans in the arena saw Kuehne dominate Brazilian challenger Halana Dos Santos for ten rounds, and score a one-sided unanimous decision: 100-90, 100-90 and 99-91. She improves her professional record to 20-1 (6), while Dos Santos falls to 14-5 (9). Continue reading →
By Jeff Sorby: Using his 5’11” height, WBA lightweight champion Richar Abril (18-3-1, 8 KO’s) defeated Sharif Bogere (23-1, 15 KO’s) on Saturday night by a 12 round unanimous decision in a physical at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
At times, the fight looked more like an MMA type of fight than actual boxing match, as Bogere often charged forward with his head lowered like a little ram. Abril was cut over his right eye, as well as his left from impacts from Bogere’s head.
The judges’ scored the fight 115-111, 116-110, 116-110. Continue reading →
by Tommy Bird: Sam Soliman has allegedley failed his post-fight drug test after his controversial decision win against Felix Sturm in Germany last month. German newspaper sources reported today that the A sample of the 39-year old Australian was tested positive for a performance enhancing designer drug.
“I received a letter from NADA today with the news that Soliman’s A sample was positive,” confirmed Thomas Pütz, German boxing president, in an official statement. “They found a designer drug in the urine sample that was taken after the fight with Felix Sturm on February 1st. I’m shocked and already informed the governing bodies.” The substance is an amphetamine that has often been used in cycling and can only be traced since three or four years. It helps produce a higher amount of oxygen and can be dangerous to a human being when misused. Continue reading →
By Daniel Mole – Stourbridge’s Steve Pearce became Midlands Area Welterweight Champion last night after stopping Derby’s Luke Gallear in the fifth round of a bruising battle.
Pearce, who only took the fight on Monday after Walsall’s Joel Ryan cried off with a chest infection, deserved his victory at Burton Town Hall. Credit to the gutsy Gallear though, who played his part in what was a real toe-to-toe tussle. Continue reading →
By Jeff Sorby: Unbeaten Evgeny Gradovich (16-0, 8 KO’s) unseated IBF featherweight champion Billy Dib (35-2, 21 KO’s) on Friday night in beating him by a 12 round split decision on Friday Night Fights at the Foxwoods Resort, in Mashantucket, Connecticut, USA.
The judges had it scored 114-112 and 114-112 for Gradovich, and 114-112 for Dib. Gradovich took the action to Dib, backing him up constantly throughout the fight, and hitting him nonstop. The fight likely would have been a lot more one-sided than it already was had the referee not broken up the action quite so often.
It was like watching a replay of the Marcos Maidana vs. Amir Khan fight where the referee kept pulling Maidana off Khan while he was trying to finish off Khan on the inside. Continue reading →
by Lawrence L.Yearsley – Speaking in a sporting context only, I think the word ‘FAN’ is all too freely banded about these days. Football fan, tennis fan, and cricket fan are good examples. If asked most people will tell you it’s a diminutive of, or short for the word, fanatic; meaning a fanatic of the sport. Do not be fooled by this, it’s just not true, they’ve only hijacked the word from pugilistic parlance. The true meaning (or etymology) of the word is fundamentally linked and integral to the world of boxing, or prize fighting as it was originally called. Continue reading →
By Paul Strauss: Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.’s fans are crying foul. They feel their hero is being unfairly singled out and picked on for doing something as simple as smoking a joint(s). What’s the big deal they say? It’s not like he is engaging in blood doping, or using some other performance enhancing drug. After all, marijuana just makes you mellow, right?
Apparently, the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) doesn’t feel that way. For one thing, this is JCC Jr’s second offense. You might recall, he was previously busted for testing positive for using a banned diuretic. Fighters use such substances to dehydrate and help make weight, but they also them to mask banned substances. Hence, the concern by commissions.
In this case, the NSAC suspended JCC Jr. for nine months and fined him $900,000, which reportedly is about 30% of his purse for the Sergio Martinez fight. Continue reading →
By Joseph Herron: As the time tested axiom states, “all good things come to those who wait”. Unfortunately, the waiting period is often the most difficult part of being a prizefighter.
According to former Olympian Gary Russell Jr, the lingering interlude of uncertainty is just about over. The undefeated contender from Capitol Heights, Maryland, feels that he is more than ready to reach out and grab the brass ring of boxing.
“I’m ready,” insists the sharp shooting southpaw. “I’m more than ready to win my first world title and become a world champion.”
After years of honing his craft, Mr. Russell feels confident that the opportunity of a lifetime will arrive sometime in 2013. Continue reading →
by Matthew Rhodes
So, the next opponent for Amir Khan has been announced.
Let me start out by saying that Julio Diaz is a clear improvement on the limited Carlos Molina who Khan comprehensively defeated in his return to action after his brutal loss to Danny Garcia. Yet he, on paper, shouldn’t be a threat to Khan in his British return.
So who is Julio Diaz?
The headlines are he’s a 33 year old Mexican boxer based in California with a record of 40 wins, seven losses and one draw, 29 of those wins coming by stoppage. The highlight of his career so far was probably a period between 2004 and 2007 when he held the IBF version of the World Lightweight title two times. On paper that’s a solid enough record… but it’s worth looking behind it. Continue reading →
By Bill Phanco: The Nevada State Athletic Commission came down with by far their biggest fine ever given to a fighter by fining former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. $900,000 and giving him a 9 month suspension for him testing positive for marijuana for his last fight in September against Sergio Martinez. Continue reading →
LUCAS “BIG DADDY” BROWNE has fast earned a reputation as one of the heavyweight division’s hard hitters, but he won’t necessarily be looking for an early finish this Friday night.
The unbeaten Australian banger faces Masataka Takehara at Lions in Richlands, Queensland and knows he’s likely to have a tough bout on his hands. Continue reading →
By Jeff Sorby: WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s) has decided to pull out of the May 4th card on Showtime/CBS pay per view after failing to get Floyd Mayweather Jr. to agree to fight him on September 14th. That was the condition that the 22-year-old Canelo set for Mayweather Jr. in order to fight on his undercard and help pump up the PPV numbers.
So instead of Canelo fighting on May 4th, he’ll be fighting on April 20th in a non-PPV bout on regular Showtime against WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s), says Dan Rafael of ESPN. For boxing fans, this is a really good deal because they won’t have to pay to see Canelo fight other than signing up for Showtime if they don’t currently have it. Continue reading →
- Fight To Educate Boxing Results
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Video: George Groves – Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things