Slater: The Ten Greatest Heavyweights In History
22.03.07 - By James Slater: In response to the Ring magazine's ten greatest heavyweight boxers in history, in a list that has recently been posted up on ESB's forum, I give here my choices for the ten finest big men of all-time. Make of this list what you wish, it is simply my honest - axe to grind free - opinion. Here goes.
Article posted on 23.03.2007
1. Muhammad Ali - Simply the Greatest! Who else fought such an awesome collection of opposition?
2. Jack Johnson - Astonishingly completely absent from Rings magazine's list! The best defensive heavyweight in all of boxing. Second only to Ali as the best heavyweight of all-time in my opinion.
3. Jack Dempsey - Revolutionised the sport with his aggressive, man possessed style. A truly fearsome puncher, with a granite jaw..
4. Joe Louis - Yes, he's too low on this list for many fans. I just can't rate him above the three above him here, however. His suspect chin was his only weakness, but what a weakness to have. Other than that, Joe was great indeed.
5. Rocky Marciano - Never knew when he was beaten - which, of course, he never was. The word tough personified.
6. George Foreman - Awesome in his prime, if a little short on stamina. Equally awesome in his later years, despite being slower. Big George did enough in either career to be included among the greats.
7. Sonny Liston - Truly frightening. Liston was capable of intimidating almost anyone. His jab too, was punishing - as was the KO power in both of his hands. But for Ali he may well have reigned for years.
8. Larry Holmes - Criminally underrated in his peak years, due to following in Ali's footsteps. May have had THE best left jab in heavyweight history. And his recuperative powers!
9. Joe Frazier - Relentless pressure was Joe's game. His left hook was a thing of beauty. Also, "Smokin'" Joe was utterly fearless.
10. Evander Holyfield - Made up for any shortcomings he had in size with unbelievable heart and guts. Is still capable of beating more than a few heavies today!
previous article: Ndou to Gatti’s promoter: “I’m always in the Mix!”
next article: De La Hoya, Mayweather: The Countdown clock is ticking