Calzaghe Accepts Kessler Offer!
01.06.07 - By Iain Axon, www.FrankWarren.tv: Promoter Frank Warren says Joe Calzaghe will go to Denmark and fight Mikkel Kessler. Earlier this week, Warren agreed to an offer made by Kessler's promoter, Mogens Palle, but has so far heard nothing back from the Dane. "It's not a done deal until it's signed but we've accepted," Warren told BBC Five Live. "It's now up to Palle to send a contract."
Article posted on 01.06.2007
Long term WBO super-middleweight king Calzaghe has been linked to a fight with his WBC/WBA counterpart following victory over Peter Manfredo Jr in April. Both fighters - neither of whom have tasted defeat before - were keen to secure home advantage, but Calzaghe is so confident of victory, he is prepared to sacrifice a partisan crowd.
"Joe doesn't mind fighting in Denmark," said Warren. "He feels he will beat Kessler anywhere and I believe that's the case as well. "It's a great fight. It's the two best super middleweights in the world. It's probably one of the most competitive fights at the moment in boxing.
"I just hope that Palle backs up his offer. We sent him an e-mail on Tuesday along with a fax confirming what the terms were and we've not heard from him since.
"I'm hoping it's not all nonsense. He's been talking a lot about fighting Joe with Kessler and we've called his bluff. I don't believe he ever thought that Joe would go to Denmark."
previous article: Sultan Ibragimov: "Gee, He Looks Like Such a Regular Guy"
next article: HBO To Replay Cotto-Torres, Judah-Corley