Ten Most Exciting Fighters Today - Revised version: Cotto, Berrio, Diaz, Gatti, Hatton and More!
11.07.07 - By Ted Sares: Back in March, I listed the following fighters alphabetically. In so doing, I asked myself whether I would pay money to see each guy fight. A lot has happened since then so let's see how it has impacted this list. And remember, boxing fans are fickle and I am no exception. I'll revisit the new list in December and I'm sure it will change again.
Article posted on 12.07.2007
1. Jorge "La Hiena" Barrios, 47-3-1-1 (33 KOs). He definitely stays. Barrios always comes to fight and his opponents better be ready to rumble. Are you hearing me, Juan Manuel Marquez?
2. Middleweight Alejandro "Naco" Berrio, My favorite when it comes to excitement. Chill or be chilled is what happens when this Columbian bomber is in the ring. He is now a world champion and actually has a "kiss and punch" combination in his skill-set.
3. Miguel Cotto. “Junito” has a 30-0 slate with 25 stoppages. Like Pipino Cuevas and Julio César Chávez, he not only beats his opponents, he breaks them down and injures them. He is a brutal old school type who tracks and executes like Jake LaMotta did and that, in and of itself, entitles him to a prominent place on this list. Heck, he brings out the excitement factor in his opponents.
4. Vic Darchinyan, 28-1 with 22Kos. Everything about the “Raging Bull” is exciting. From his cock demeanor to his newly found vulnerability. The fact we now know he can be sent “down under” adds to the mix. This haevy handed guy has now joined the ranks of the “chill or be chilled.”
5. Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz, 31 (16 ko's)-0. With tremendous hand speed and punching volume, complimenting his aggressiveness and great body punching, he creates continual excitement in the ring. However, he has been criticized for his inability to starch his opponents. Nevertheless, he has been somewhat under the radar screen and now that he was showcased in his exciting dismantling of Acelino "Popo" Freitas, I believe more fans will concur that he brings special and newly found excitement into the ring.
6. Arturo "Thunder" Gatti: Forget won-loss records. This is Gatti. The following Gatti quote speaks for itself: “I felt very excited to know that here I am training, knowing that I'm healthy. And I was feeling healthy, but you never know what's going on inside your body. I just didn't know what was going on. I was feeling good, but sometimes, because I have a big heart, my attitude is I always feel good. I don't want to go to the hospital for nothing.”
7. Ricky "Hit Man" Hatton. Crunching win over Castillo atones for Durango snore fest. He stays.
8. Manny "PacMan" Pacquiao. 44 -3-2 with, 36 KOs). He is the most exciting fighter in boxing today. This crowd pleasing warrior is rarely in a boring fight, and has knocked out Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera, both future hall of Famers. If he stays focused and continues to train hard, his chances for induction into the Hall will translate to a slam dunk. A rematch with Barrera has been scheduled and the excitement meter is already at 100, as the PacMan prepares to retire the valiant Mexican warrior once and for all
9. Edwin "Dinamita" Valero, 22 -0 with 22 KOs says it all. In fact, 19 of this Venezuelan's 22 stoppages have come in the first round! Now that's excitement. The problem is his fights don't last long enough to really enjoy, but it's really not his fault.
10. Darnell "The-Ding-A-Ling-Man" Wilson, 22-5-3 with 19 Kos. Wilson is on a chilling roll and always promises something special. Welcome aboard, "Ding-A-Ling."
Honerable mention: Nonito “The Filipino Flash’’ Donaire, 18-1, 11 KO’s. He chilled out heavy favorite Vic with a perfectly timed left hook. All of a sudden, non-aficionados were asking “who is this guy?” When one exciting guy beats another, he deserves props and that's why “The Flash” has earned a mention. I can't wait to see him fight again and that’s another reason.
I’m sure you can name some. Have a go
Oh yes, Arce, Brewster, Margarito, Mayweather and Morales have been given the hook.
previous article: Mayorga/Vargas Official For Sept.8
next article: Showtime Boxing To Become Video Game
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top