World Boxing Council 2007 Convention Results From Manila
With the closing of the very successful 2007 WBC Convention in Manila, Philippines, the following measures were taken: The current WBC sanction fees structure will be modified in order to adjust to the current times and prevent the common problems that arise from this difficult topic. The WBC is a non-profit organization and none of it's officers earn a single penny from boxing.. Their position in the WBC is honorary, but the organization has operations in many countries of the world and the WBC continues research and specific programs need funding, which comes from the sanctioning fees.
Article posted on 16.11.2007
A committee was formed to review the several proposals that came from the board and from the floor, including promoters and will present a final proposal for immediate implementation.
The WBC has been working for many years to try and get a definite program and reciprocity with AIBA, and a committee was formed to continue with such efforts with the new AIBA President Dr. Woo.
A direct rematch was approved for the WBC Female Super Flyweight Championship between new champion Myung Ok Ryu from North Korea and Ana Maria Torres from Mexico. The fight must take place in South Korea or Mexico.
WBC Female Flyweight Champion Stefania Bianchini must face her mandatory challenger next and then the winner fights the mandatory rematch.
It was voted for the WBC to seek a site for the 2010 Convention in the USA, as there has not been one there since 1994 in Las Vegas.
The WBC accepted the institution of a formal rehabilitation program to help boxers in need with drug and alcohol problems throughout the world.
Additionally, the following are top priorities and working plans for 2008:
- Creation of a new categorizing system of boxers in different levels in order to avoid mismatches that endanger the boxers health.
- Evaluation of a revised scoring criteria and referee's priorities for safety.
- Development of a Universal Medical Authorization Form to protect traveling boxers.
- Laying the foundations for the Boxing Channel, a TV boxing channel around the world.
- Developing a world school of boxing to certify trainers.
- Instituting instant replay to be used for specific actions that may need resolution in order for justice to prevail.
- The construction of the Rocky Marciano Statue in Massachusetts.
- The use of oxygen by boxers during the resting period in their corners.
- Manny Pacquiao was awarded WBC Champion Emeritus status.
- Jeff Fenech elected as the Boxer's Representative on the WBC Board and has the task of forming the Boxer's Association.
- Don Majeski was elected as the Manager's Representative on the board, as a liaison.
- The WBC will assist Michael Nunn in acquiring legal representation
- "El Hijo Del Santo" was awarded a honorary WBC Green Belt as a homage to wrestlers who perform in the ring.
The WBC Board of Governors decided to postpone the election of the Boxer of the Year and Fight of the Year until the month of December, as there will be 4 title fights in that month and most of the Governors requested more time to be able to give a fair evaluation as the year of 2007 has been a great one with unbelievable events, including:
- Israel Vasquez vs. Rafael Marquez fought twice for the WBC Super Bantam title in two of the best fights in recent history.
- Kelly Pavlik conquered the WBC Middleweight title from Jermain Taylor in a great fight.
- Floyd Mayweather won his fifth WBC Belt in 5 divisions by defeating Oscar De La Hoya in a promotion that broke all existing records for Pay-Per-View.
- Over 50,000 fans witnessed the crowning of WBC Super Middle Champion Joe Calzaghe by a decision win over Mikkel Kessler.
WBC Super Flyweight Champion Cristian Mijares has defended his title five times this year and there are several great fighters that have risen to the championship and seem to have a brilliant future, including Kelly Pavlik, Jorge Linares, Chad Dawson and David Haye.
previous article: Expect Change in MMA Soon!
next article: Exclusive Joachim Alcine Interview - "I'm Not Going To Run Away From Anyone!"