After December 8th's Dominance By Floyd Mayweather - Rating Today's Top-Ten Welterweights
by James Slater: To this writer's thinking, Floyd Mayweather, with his brilliant dismantling of the brave Ricky Hatton, not only proved his position atop today's pound-for-pound rankings to be secure, he also laid to rest any doubts there may have been about his position as the best in the world at 147 pounds. No, Hatton is not a fully-fledged welterweight, but neither is Floyd - coming up as he did from 130 pounds. "Pretty Boy" is, however, undeniably the best boxer currently doing his stuff in the welterweight division. Quite simply, is there ANYONE out there at 147 that can beat Mayweather? If there is, I don't know his name.
Article posted on 12.12.2007
With all the above said, here are this writer's picks for the ten best right now at welterweight.
1. Floyd Mayweather Junior. Pro record: 39-0(25) Last fight: W TKO 10 Ricky Hatton
2. Miguel Cotto. Pro record: 31-0(25) Last fight: WU12 Shane Mosley
3. Paul Williams. Pro record: 33-0(24) Last fight: WU12 Antonio Margarito
4. Antonio Margarito. Pro record: 35-5(25) Last fight: W TKO 1 Golden Johnson
5. Shane Mosley. Pro record: 44-5(37) Last fight: L12 Miguel Cotto
6. Kermit Cintron. Pro record: 29-1(27) Last fight: W TKO 10 Jesse Feliciano
7. Joshua Clottey. Pro record: 32-2(19) Last fight: WU10 Felix Flores
8. Zab Judah. Pro record: 36-5(25) Last fight: WU12 Ryan Davis
9. Luis Collazo. Pro record: 27-3(13) Last fight: L12 Shane Mosley
10. Andre Berto. Pro record: 20-0(17) Last fight: W TKO 11 David Estrada
previous article: Larry Holmes – A Hall Of Fame Career
next article: Pavlik, Taylor Reload For Second Battle