After Saturday's Big Fight - Rating The Light-Heavyweights
22.04.08 - by James Slater: There has been a lot of top class action going on in the 175 pound weight class just recently. Not only did we have the Joe Calzaghe Vs. Bernard Hopkins fight this past Saturday, we also had two more world title fights at light-heavyweight the weekend before - with Antonio Tarver easily out-pointing Clinton Woods and Chad Dawson really having his hands full with a not-past-it-yet-by-any-means Glen Johnson. Indeed, the 175 pound division is in very good shape at the moment, with some excellent fighters doing their stuff. There figure to be even more intriguing and fan-friendly bouts at 175 in the coming months, too.
Article posted on 24.04.2008
One of boxing's traditional weight classes, the light-heavyweight division has boasted its greats in the past - with men like Bob Foster, Archie Moore, Thomas Hearns and Roy Jones Junior to name but four all-time greats who successfully campaigned there. Speaking of Jones, he is still very much in the mix right now as far as the bid for light-heavyweight supremacy goes - with a much talked about fight with new Ring magazine belt holder Joe Calzaghe a strong possibility for later this year. But, now, with all this said, let's take a look at how one writer sees the current 175 pound top-ten. Here goes.
1. Joe Calzaghe. Record: 45-0(32) Last fight - WS 12 Bernard Hopkins. Who he will likely fight next: Roy Jones Junior.
2. Bernard Hopkins. Record: 48-5-1-1(32) Last fight - LS 12 Joe Calzaghe. Who he will likely fight next: ? Retirement a possibility.
3. Antonio Tarver. Record: 27-4(19) Last fight - W U12 Clinton Woods. Who he will likely fight next: Chad Dawson.
4. Chad Dawson. Record: 26-0(17) Last fight - W U12 Glen Johnson. Who he will likely fight next: Antonio Tarver.
5. Glen Johnson. Record: 47-12-2(32) Last fight - L U12 Chad Dawson. Who he will likely fight next: Is desperate for a rematch with Chad Dawson.
6. Zsolt Erdei. Record: 28-0(17) Last fight - W S12 Tito Mendoza. Who he will likely fight next: Fights DeAndrey Abron on April 26th.
7. Roy Jones Junior. Record: 52-4(38) Last fight - W U12 Felix Trinidad. Who he will likely fight next: A bout with Joe Calzaghe is in the talking stage.
8. Clinton Woods. Record: 41-4-1(24) Last fight - L U12 Antonio Tarver. Who he will likely fight next: ? Woods is very much undecided at present.
9. Adrian Diaconu. Record: 25-0(15) Last fight - W U12 Chris Henry. Who he will likely fight next: Is WBC interim champ, so could face Chad Dawson for real belt soon.
10. Paul Briggs. Record: 26-3(18) Last fight - W U12 Rupert Van Aswegen.
previous article: SHOWTIME Press Conference Photos: Ward, Ravelo
next article: Adamek impressive in win over Bell