Boxing


Boxing News: Ola Afolabi Ducked by BJ Flores? Brähmer-Garay Postponed, Ballroom Boxing

Press Release - New York—USBA Cruiserweight titlist BJ Flores (21-0-1, 13 KOs) has not fought in seven months and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon. Flores has turned down Duva Boxing's exceptional offer to fight NABO Cruiserweight Champion and rising star Ola Afolabi (13-1-3, 5 KOs). The offer included a significant payday, a television date, a shot at Afolabi's title, and a WBO Eliminator position..

"It's true, I offered BJ Flores his biggest payday in a long time to fight Ola on ShoBox on October 3," said Duva Boxing president Dino Duva. "First he accepted, and then when he was sent the contract, he wouldn't sign it. He obviously got cold feet and that's a real shame because the fight would have been for the NABO title and most likely a WBO eliminator as well."

"I would love to fight Flores. I was looking forward to fighting him on October 3 and was very disappointed when I heard he didn't sign the contract," said Afolabi. "Just call my promoter Dino Duva and make the fight."

"If BJ can ever get the courage to fight Ola I would be happy to make the same offer, anytime, anywhere," stated Duva. "Flores had a great win over Darnell Wilson in February, but what has he done since? He has done nothing except bullshit people for money and not fight. BJ talks a good game but what he really needs to do is get back into the ring and stop bullshitting outside the ropes."

"Ola Afolabi is the real deal," added Duva. "Ola is destined to become a world champion regardless of whether or not Flores fights him."


European Boxing Roundup by Per Ake Persson

WBA lightheavy champ Hugo Hernan Garay is injured and his fight against # 1 ranked challenger Jurgen Brahmer scheduled for October 18 in Dresden is postponed. The fight will now take place November 22 but in the Town Hall in Rostock in the North of Germany. Universum promise in their press release the fans in Dresden to be back as soon as possible with another show.

Kazachstan welter prospect Vitalyi Demyanenko headlines a show in Kostanai October 11. Demyanenko will defend the three titles - WBC ABC, WBO-Ap and PABA - he already holds against an opponent to be announced.

EBU welter champ "Sugar" Jackson Osei Bonsu defends the title on September 14 against Rafael Jackiewicz in Kielce, Poland, on a Bullit Knockout promotion. Sep 14 is a Sunday but the show goes ahead on that date to accomodate TV. Lightheavy Dawid Kostecki is featured on the undercard.

Arena Box Promotion´s show in Cuxhaven September 12 also features the comeback of once touted Alpaslan Aguzum, who had his career wrecked by then journeyman deluxe Carlos Baldomir. Aguzum later left Sauerland for Arena, moved up to middle but was stopped by Italian Domenico Spada inside a round last year. Now 34-4 Alpaslan takes it easy in his comeback and face Russian Alexander Lykov.

Spotlight Boxing will stage EBU jr light champ Sergey Gulyakevich´s defence against slick German Vitaly Tajbert with date and site to be announced.


Samuel-Boyd Highlights Ballroom Card September 25!

An interesting Beltway matchup of featherweights will be the main event on the 15th season premiere of Ballroom Boxing on Thursday, September 25 at Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie, MD.

Baltimore's Tyrell "Da Show Shock 'A" Samuel will battle DC's Ron "Teflon" Boyd in a scheduled six-round encounter. Samuel (9-2, five KO's) has not fought since August 3, 2007 when he lost a nationally televised bout to Eric Hunter by eight-round unanimous decision. Samuel has had some health issues which apparently have been cleared up. Boyd (5-3, two KO's) last fought on October 26, 2007 when he was stopped in the third round by Eloy Perez in Monterey, CA.

The card will also feature the first scheduled six-round contest in the career of Brandywine, MD heavyweight Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell (5-0-1, four KO's). No word yet on who Mitchell's opponent will be.

Also, DC middleweight Antonio Walls will make his pro debut.

There will also be an interesting out-of-town matchup featuring two guys who have won impressive bouts against Beltway Boxers in recent times. Harvey "Candy Man" Jolley of Adrian, MI will take on William "The Storm" Bailey of Portsmouth, VA in a scheduled six-rounder. Jolley (8-9-1, five KO's) scored a first-round knockout over Jonathan Felton in his last appearance at Michael's on May 29. Bailey's last outing was a six-round unanimous decision victory over Juan Carlos Robles on August 16 in Portsmouth.

Four more bouts are scheduled for the card.

For tickets call 410-766-7474

Article posted on 10.09.2008



Bookmark and Share


previous article: It Was Fifteen Years Ago Today - The "Draw!"

next article: Random Thoughts on ‘The Ring’




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact