Audley Harrison Pulls Out of November 13 Bout
09.09.04 – Having starting 2004 on a fast and furious pace, undefeated heavyweight contender Audley Harrison (17-0, 12KOs) has suffered an unfortunate blow to his rising career after learning that he will need hand surgery, which will curtail his career until the beginning of next year. Harrison suffered the injury to his left hand—which includes ligament damage shown by a tear in his knuckle last week while hitting the heavy bag during a training session for his scheduled November 13th fight in America.
Article posted on 09.09.2004
After visiting a London-based specialist, who diagnosed the tear, Harrison will travel to New York next week to meet with renowned hand doctor Charles Malone, who will perform the surgery. Although it is on the same hand as the injury he suffered after the Olympics, fortunately it is not the same knuckle and not as severe.
“I was off to such a great start with three fights back to back,” said Harrison. “Now it has been just one disappointment after another particularly this injury that will derail my ability to box for the remainder of the year.”
“Between not being able to make the Skelton fight, the ruthless decision by the BBC to end our relationship and now this hand injury, I feel overwhelmed by the collective circumstances and am looking forward to putting an end to 2004,” said Harrison. “However, I have always said 2005 would be the year I go for it and that’s what I plan to do.”
Harrison will undergo surgery and rehabilitate in the States before travelling to the WBC convention in Thailand and then returning to England for the remainder of the year. In 2005 he will permanently locate himself in the States where he will pursue the remainder of his career with the goal of becoming heavyweight champion of the world.
previous article: Scott Harrison Heads For Torquay
next article: Shelly Finkel files lawsuit against Ted Watley
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top