Boxing News: Victor Ortiz Staying Busy, Dr Atlas Foundation
With each passing victory, the star of "Vicious" Victor Ortiz continues to rise, and following a spectacular fifth round stoppage of 47-fight veteran Roberto Arrieta on September 13th, the newly crowned NABO Junior Welterweight Champion has begun his move towards a world title shot."I was very impressed with Victor Ortiz' performance against a tough Argentinean in Arrieta," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "He showed poise, accuracy in his punching and power in knocking Arrieta down three times. Even though he's young, I wouldn't hesitate to put him in with any 140-pounder in the world.."
Article posted on 16.10.2008
Currently ranked eighth in the world by the WBO, Ortiz' win over Arrieta should move him further up in the rankings. While his eyes are firmly set on a bou t against current champion Kendall Holt, Ortiz is not planning on waiting around for Holt, as he will keep busy with a bout against an opponent to be determined on the December 6th Oscar de la Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao undercard at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Ortiz has joined "The Golden Boy" in Big Bear, California as they prepare for their pivotal December bouts.
Ortiz will meet with his fans at the Cardenas Festival at the Auto Club Speedway in Ontario, California on Sunday, October 19th, when he makes a special appearance for Full Throttle during the Los Tigres Del Norte Concert, which will be sponsored by Cardenas Markets. A crowd of 60,000 fans is expected at this highly-anticipated event and Ortiz will be signing autographs at the Full Throttle booth from 12pm to 2pm.
After Sunday's event, Ortiz is off to camp in Big Bear until a brief November break during which Victor will travel to Miami to be a guest star on Univision Network's Republica Deportiva, the popular Spanish sports show. After that, it's back to work to prepare for December 6th. Needless to say, this 21-year-old southpaw prodigy (22-1-1, 17 KOs) will be looking to impress fight fans around the world in his final performance of 2008.
As for 2009, the sky's the limit.
A STORY OF INSPIRATION AND DETERMINATION: TEDDY ATLAS TO SKY DIVE WITH JOE CALI, 22-YEAR-OLD WHO WAS PARALYZED IN A CAR ACCIDENT LAST YEAR, AND ASSISTED BY DR. ATLAS FOUNDATION DINNER
In a testimonial following last year’s Dr. Theodore Atlas Foundation Dinner (www.dratlasfoundation.org), 22-year-old Joe Cali, paralyzed from the chest down in a car accident in 2007, made a promise to both himself and Teddy Atlas. After receiving assistance from the Atlas Foundation and inspiration from the fight trainer/ESPN Friday Night Fights commentator, the young man said: “Teddy, next year if you’re up for it, we’ll sky dive, so if you are game, come with me.”
That dream becomes a reality on Saturday morning (today, October 18), at 11:00 AM sharp, when this true dynamic duo dives together at Sky Dive Sussex at Sussex Airport 55, County Route 639, Sussex, New Jersey. (Tel. 800- 810-JUMP or 973-702-7000).
“Just talking to Teddy after the accident changed my outlook on my situation,” says Cali, “Teddy told me that anytime you are faced with an obstacle, just push through it, and things will work out for the best. I was able to handle myself better than I thought. Coming out of the hospital, I thought I was done.”
Teddy’s regular visits, combined with financial assistance from the Atlas Foundation and Cali’s unwavering determination, these two brave heroes fly from the sky tomorrow.
A year of therapy which increased his upper body strength has allowed Cali to achieve an improbable if not impossible goal.
This year’s 12th annual Dr. Theodore Atlas Foundation Dinner is set for Thursday night, November 20, at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island, featuring Giants Super Bowl heroes Brandon Jacobs and Justin Tuck, and Jets coach Eric Mangini. For tickets and Information Call (888) 505-7070.
previous article: Hopkins vs Pavlik, just the facts
next article: Interview: Yuriy Nuzhnenko