Boxing


Boxing News: Scott Woolford; Kenny Anderson; Hector Ferreyro

Frank Maloney Promotions returns to London this Saturday night, November 15, when welterweight Scott Woolford leads a charge of young fighters looking to make their mark on the highly competitive British scene. 25 year old Woolford came of age in his recent clash with Matthew Hatton, giving the Manchester veteran all he could handle before losing the bitterly contested eight rounder on points.. Facing Woolford, 8-2 (1), this Saturday is iron-chinned Essex mans Tom Glover, 5-5-3 (0), who has been thrown in the deep end with such hot prospects as Gareth Couch, Nadeem Siddique and Tristan Davies during his young career.

Wollford, who had a four bout win streak snapped by Hatton in September, must look impressive in his headlining spot at York Hall if he is to further his goal of contending for a domestic title belt.

The biggest name on the bill is ex-British light middleweight champion Gary Woolcome, 25-2 (1), who returns to the ring for the first time following his ninth round knockout loss during a firefight with big punching southpaw Ryan Rhodes in April. Woolcombe will face durable Nottingham man Matt Scriven, 13-41 (1).

Promising middleweight Kevin Concepcion, 13-0 (3), also sees action, tangling with difficult Moroccan southpaw Yassine El Maachi, 5-4 (1). A pro with just over two years' experience, Concepcion has steadily been climbing the ranks in the UK and is closing in on the top class among the domestic middleweight division.

Welterweight Chas Symonds continues his comeback while heavyweights Tom Dallas, 2-0 (0), and Larry Olubamiwo, 1-0 (1), will be looking to impress in separate bouts.

Light welterweight Ben Murphy, 5-1 (3), and middleweight Mark Stupple, 2-1 (0), round out the fightcard at York Hall.

Frank Maloney Promotions presents welterweights Scott Woolford vs. Tom Glover supported by full undercard, at York Hall in London, England on Saturday, November 15, 2008.

Tickets are priced at £55 and £35 and are available by logging onto www.frankmaloney.com or by calling the Box Office at 0871 226 1508.


Kenny Anderson will face Hastings Rasani in his ninth professional contest at the Kelvin Hall tomorrow night

A veteran of 59 fights - 20 wins, 37 losses and two draws - the 34-year-old Birmingham-based Zimbabwean Rasani brings plenty of experience to the ring.

Anderson said: “Rasani is another experienced fighter who will be a good test for me. Despite the fact that he hasn’t won a fight for a while, 16 of his 20 victories have come inside the distance, so it would be foolish of me to underestimate him.

“Put it this way, I won’t be taking any chances and dropping my hands. I aim to use my boxing ability to break Rasani down and if the knockout comes, it comes.”

Anderson admits he benefits more from boxing older ring-wise opponents and that it will stand him in good stead as he aims to challenge for titles in the new year.

Anderson said: “I find that the more inexperienced guys I face come to fight whereas the experienced journeymen have older heads and work on the attributes they’ve learned over the course of their careers to survive.

“I actually feel more comfortable when I’m fighting someone who stands in front of me and that I don’t have to go looking for, so I definitely learn more and pick up more tricks of the trade against experienced opposition.”

However, Anderson will engage Rasani without trainer Billy Nelson after the pair parted company last week. Nelson has worked with Anderson since the Edinburgh native’s transition to the paid ranks after capturing a gold medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Although Peter Harrison was chief trainer for Anderson’s first two bouts before taking up the role of Development Coach with Amateur Boxing Scotland, Nelson trained Anderson alongside Harrison and took on the chief trainer mantle in July 2007.

Anderson said: “Sports Network’s matchmaker Dean Powell has worked in my corner in the past and I’m delighted that he has agreed to do so again tomorrow. I do not have any further comment to make regarding the situation between Billy and myself.”

Anderson has expressed his frustration at his lack of action since his first professional bout in October 2006. A dose of the flu meant Anderson was ruled out of what should have been his second pro outing at the Kelvin Hall in November 2006.

Two date switches resulted in Anderson having to wait until April 2007 for that second pro fight. This year has seen Sports Network cards that would have featured Anderson in Edinburgh and Birmingham cancelled as well as his management team Braveheart Promotions’ bill at the SECC in June.

However, Anderson is more content as tomorrow night’s clash will be his third in consecutive months.

Anderson added: “I’m delighted that I have recently been fighting on a regular basis. Nothing makes a boxer happier than boxing. I hope that this current trend continues and, hopefully, I will be able to fight in December, but I am just focusing on tomorrow night at the moment.”


Cestus Management Fighters in Action; Ferreyro defends IBA Belt on December 5!

By: Cestus Press

On December 5, 2008, the Civic Center, in the historical town of Laredo, Texas will be filled with a sellout of ravenous fight fans where top management company, Cestus Management will feature three of its young charges. James “QUICK DRAW” DuBois (Former U.S. Air Force/current S.A. TX Firefighter) Rodolfo “BABY COBRA” Gomez (Laredo fighting family legacy) and Robert "NIGHTHAWK"Luna Jr. (Former U.S. Air Force) will all be in action in separate bouts to give electrifying performances. DuBois, Gomez and Luna Jr. are the type of A-Side fighters that Cestus is known for producing; these three young up-and-coming stars are sure to give the Laredo fight fans what they want on December 5 in the Lone Star State.

In the main event special attarction, the popular and exciting local favorite, IBA Latino Heavyweight champion, Hector “HURRICANE” Ferreyro makes the first defense of his title which he won by stopping the “Psycho Monster” Osvaldo Martinez in five rounds on August 29, 2008 . Hector is slated to take on tough Texan and former Texas State Cruiserweight Champion, Robbie “CRAZY” McClimans. The fight is scheduled for ten rounds as the main event on the 'Friday Nite Championship Boxing' card promoted by Recon Garza Promotions in association with Los Dos Laredos Boxing Productions and Cestus Management, The Makers of Champions. This exciting six bout card will be seen exclusively on www.Gofightlive.tv

Gina Iacovou, who is Cestus Management’s C.E.O., said, “I am excited and looking forward to being back in Laredo in December as the boxing fans in that city are just amazing. We (Cestus) had such a warm reception our first trip there and I know that Laredo’s fight fans are looking forward to seeing Team Cestus fighters again. The Gomez legacy continues as Rodolfo "BABY COBRA" will be in action, also I’m sure that supporters of our brave men and women currently at war are excited to have former service me, Robert "NIGHTHAWK" Luna Jr. and James "QUICK DRAW"DuBois, who is also a firefighter in San Antonio, Texas back in town.” Iacovou added, “Make sure you go out now and get your tickets in advance as the Laredo Civic Center is sure to be a sellout on December 5”.

Mike Michael, who is Cestus Management’s founder and Exclusive Advisor, said, “LOCK THE DOORS AND RUN FOR COVER, Team Cestus will be back in Laredo, Texas for another great night of Championship boxing on December 5. Everyone has something to be excited about as Hector (Ferreyro) will be defending his IBA belt; a Laredo boxing legacy continues with Rodolfo Cobrita Gomez, and our (Cestus) San Antonio boys, Robert (Luna Jr.) and James (DuBois) will also be in action”. Michael continued, “That fight card on December 5 is filled with stout, talented fighters and is sure to be sold-out! We (Cestus) want to personally invite the Laredo Fire-fighters to come and support a brother as the co-main event will feature active San Antonio Firefighter James 'Quick Draw' DuBois who is sure to set the Civic Center on fire!”

In closing, Michael said, “I would like on behalf of myself and everybody at Cestus Management, to give a big thank you to Gabriel Garza (Recon Garza Promotions), Hernan Ferreyro (Los Dos Laredos Boxing Productions) Beto Garza (Variety Meat Market) and Cestus Management's long time sponsor Anthony Velasquez (Gente Entertainment) for their continued support”.

Article posted on 12.11.2008



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Toney vs Thompson

next article: News: Cunningham Adamek Camp Notes; TKO Fighters Return To Baltimore; Danny Swift Returns




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact