Boxing


News: Tyson Fury; Urango vs Ngoudjo; Danny O’Connor

Unbeaten heavyweight phenomenon Tyson Fury has already set his sights on the man he hopes will be his next opponent. The 6 feet 8 ½ inch 20 year old is scheduled for his third pro fight in Norwich on February 28th when he appears on the undercard of local hero, Jon Thaxton’s first defence of his European Lightweight title..

However it’s another Norfolk man that is occupying Fury’s thoughts at the moment. “I’d love to fight Sam Sexton in Norwich,” said Fury. “He’s a local lad and I believe he’s always complaining that he never gets to fight at home, so I’d love to give him that opportunity.”

Fury is coming off an impressive stoppage win over Marcel Zeller earlier this month. The German entered the ring having won 21 of his 24 pro fights with 20 of those wins coming by KO but he found Fury too hot to handle.

Sexton also has a decent resume having lost just once in his 12 pro fights and he also won the Prizefighter tournament last September but Fury isn’t impressed. “His record isn’t as impressive as Zeller’s so it might be a bit of step down but it would still be a good fight for the people of Norwich. He just won the Southern Area title and I think that’s about his limit.

“If I can’t beat the likes of Sexton I’ve no business talking about World titles so that’s why I want to fight him now. I don’t want people saying that I’m just all talk like some of the other prospects out there. I want to walk the walk as well.”

Promoter Mick Hennessy is hoping that Sexton will take up the challenge “It’s a great chance for Sam to fight in his hometown in a significant fight so hopefully he will step up to the plate.”

Tickets for Tyson next fight on the undercard of Jon Thaxton’s European Title Defence at the Norfolk Showground, Norwich on the 28th February are available from the Ticketline box office on 0871 424 4444 or via www.ticketline.co.uk.


THE TIME FOR NGOUDJO HAS ARRIVED!
URANGO VS NGOUDJO JANUARY 30 IN MONTREAL


Montreal, January 26th, 2009 – It was with great surprise that the #1 IBF contender Hermann Ngoudjo (17-2-0, 9KO) read the press release where former IBF champion Juan Urango (20-1-1, 16KO) claimed he was going to knockout “The Black Panther” Ngoudjo. Ngoudjo will take on the Colombian for the vacant IBF Super lightweight world championship in Montreal next Friday,
For two years Hermann Ngoudjo has fought the elite of the division, and no one has hurt or come close to a knockout win against him!

First a controversial split decision loss against former world champion Jose Luis Castillo (57-9-1, 49KO), the best brawler in the division, then a split decision win against former World champion Randall Bailey (38-6-0, 34KO), the best puncher in the division. Last year another controversial loss against then IBF world champion Paul Malignaggi (25-2-0, 5KO), the fastest boxer in the division, and in June another win against former World champion Souleymane Mbaye (37-3-1, 21KO), the most skilled boxer in the division.

So Hermann out-brawled the brawler, overpowered the puncher, out-speeded the speedster and out-skilled the best! In fact, 6 of his opponents have fought in world championships, 5 of them won the title and together they have a combined 36 world championship bouts (20-14-2). Compare that to Urango who, with the exception of Ricky Hatton (45-1-0, 32KO) who lost decisively against him during their encounter 2 years ago, not one of his opponents ever won a world championship fight! Ngoudjo has had to pay his dues, fought the best and is ready to get on top of the super lightweight division. It is not Juan Urango who will stop him.

“Urango is a strong fighter and always comes very well prepared,” said Ngoudjo, “but he is not near me in terms of the quality of the opponents he has beaten! He claims he will knock me out like his last opponents, but they were scared of him and that is certainly not the case for me! I am willing to mix with you “Iron twin”, to back you up and beat you at your own game and we will see who has got the best chin, the best stamina. Next Saturday morning Juan Urango will have a very bad wake up call because he will leave Montreal empty-handed and the Black Panther will be world champion…this is the beginning of my era!”

Juan Urango is arriving today in Montreal from his training camp of Puerto Rico.

The two will meet for the first time tomorrow at a press conference that will be held at the Bell Center at 11:00 AM.

Tickets are priced at $40, $75, $125 and $200 and can be purchased at the Bell Center Box Office: 1-877-668-8269 or online at www.geg.ca


O’Connor fighting Friday night in Montreal

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. (November 26, 2008) – 2008 U.S. Olympic first alternate Danny O’Connor heads north of the border to fight pro-debuting Greg Jimenez off-television on this week’s ESPN Friday Night Fights show, headlined by the IBF light welterweight title fight between Herman Ngoudjo and Juan Urango, at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

In his last fight, the 23-year-old O’Connor (2-0, 2 KOs) pitched a shutout last November against 16-fight veteran Anthony Woods, winning all four rounds on each of the three judge’s scorecards (40-35, 40-36, 40-36), at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida.

“I’m happy to be making a trip to Canada,” O’Connor said. “I can’t wait to fight. I’ve been working hard in the gym….training, training and training. I’ve come to realize that sometimes it’s difficult in the pros because opponents get switched around. It’s all part of the learning process. I train the same for all opponents, assuming that they’re going to bring their A game. I’m ready to fight. I’m in great shape and I can’t wait to show everyone there what I’ve been working on in the gym (401 Gym in Cranston, Rhode Island).”

O’Connor, fighting out of Framingham (MA), won last year’s US Future Stars National Championship, in which he was named Most Outstanding Boxer, as well as the 2008 National Golden Gloves Tournament. Danny, who signed a promotional contract with Seminole Warriors Boxing, defeated 2008 Olympic Gold medalist Felix Diaz, of the Dominican Republic, last May as an amateur in a USA-Dominican Republic dual meet.

“I love Montreal and the opportunity for Danny to fight there makes a lot of sense,” added O’Connor’s head trainer, Dave Keefe, who also co-manages Danny with Rob Valle. “I’m happy we’re fighting on the undercard of an IBF light welterweight title fight, which we hopefully will be fighting for in a couple of years.”

For more information about Danny O’Connor go online to www.dannyoconnorboxing.com.

Article posted on 26.01.2009



Bookmark and Share


previous article: The Ultra-Exciting Michael Katsidis Back In Action This Saturday

next article: 'Left-Hook Lounge': Vivek Wallace's Mailbag featuring Mosley, Margarito, Campbell, Pacquiao, and more!




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact