Suge Green's Boxing Notebook...Special Edition: Heavyweight Rankings
March 2, 2009 by Suge Green, OnTheGrindBoxing.com: With some solid heavyweight action lined up for later this month, it seems an opportune time to put the heavyweight division into some much needed perspective....First of all, my rankings don't use a points system, it's purely subjective. A variety of criteria such as head to head, resume, recent opposition, streak, etc. were considered before compiling these rankings....
Article posted on 01.03.2009
1. Vitali Klitschko...he'd own Wlad, and that's enough reason to put him here, my rankings... I make the rules.
2. Wladimir Klitschko...should be number 1, but his recently active big brother would own him.
3. Samuel Peter...so far the only answer in the HW division for the bruising menace known as The Nigerian Nightmare has been Ukranian.
4. Ruslan Chagaev...he beat the next guy...
5. Nicolay Valuev/Evander Holyfield...Holyfield schooled him, he will share Nicolay's position in my rankings until the WBA takes some intitiative and works toward remedying the situation.
6. Chris Arreola...undefeated HW Knockout artist on his way to a title shot. His next fight vs. McCline should be a good indicator of his status as a world class fighter.
7. "Fast" Eddie Chambers...Only one loss to the highly touted Povetkin in a bout that showed Chambers to get the best of Povetkin at times... that is until as Eddie puts it, "Povetkin didn't beat me, I beat myself."
8 James "Lights Out" Toney...has only lost at HW to Sam Peter. He is back to his winning ways, and a title shot at one of the big 4 belts will probably be just around the corner for the IBA/WBO-NABO Heavyweight Champion.
9 Juan Carlos Gomez...I guess he earned his shot, he got the best of McCall and gets his spot.
10 Oleg Maskaev ...Still hanging around. Only recent loss to Peter.
previous article: Miguel Cotto vs. Juan Manuel Marquez: Could it Work?
next article: Chris John Keeps Title And Unbeaten Record With Draw Against Rocky Juarez