Boxing


News: Khan-Barrera Undercard; Erin Go Brawl II cancelled

If Tobias Webb needs a few words of advice before his debut next weekend he can call on his uncle - former WBO cruiserweight world champion Enzo Maccarinelli. The 19-year-old amateur star makes his professional bow at the M.E.N Arena on March 14, on the undercard of the Amir Khan-Marco Antonio Barrera showdown, with Uncle Enzo part of the headline attraction of the show when he takes on Ola Afolabi for the Interim WBO title..

And the hard-hitting super-middleweight is being backed for glory by his fellow Welshman.

"This boy can really fight," said Maccarinelli. "I think punching hard runs in the family because he's even more of a knockout artist than I am.

"He's worth keeping an eye on because he's going to be something special.

"He did well as an amateur, and if hadn't been for politics, would have got more recognition than he did.

"Tobias went to the amateur world championships in 2007 but it was more as a banger than a slick boxer, and he didn't get too far.

"But now he's turned into a boxer as well.

"He's always had the punch, but in the last year or so he's really developed the skills to go with it. He's the complete package."

Webb, who like Enzo comes from Swansea, may move to Birmingham or London to further his ring education, but is currently basing himself in South Wales.

"I can't wait for my professional debut," he said. "I've just been waiting on my medicals these last few days, and now they've finally come through.

"Watching my uncle Enzo fight as I've been growing up has been a real inspiration, and I've been lucky enough to work with him in the gym and some of the other lads down here who have done really well.

"We've had great success with super-middleweights in Wales - and hopefully I can continue that.

"I loved being an amateur and boxing around the world, but my heart has always been set on the pro game because it suits my style perfectly."

Tickets, priced at £40, £50, £75, £100, £150, £200 and £300, are available from the following outlets: See Tickets 0871 220 0260 www.seetickets.com


KHAN IN GREAT SHAPE

Amir Khan showed all the benefits of a lengthy training camp in California today as he wowed the press during a media work out in Bolton.

Looking in the shape of his life, Khan vowed to set up a world title opportunity when he faces Marco Antonio Barrera at the weekend.



The 22-year-old will meet the legendary Mexican at the M.E.N Arena in a fight that will effectively double as a WBO lightweight world title eliminator.

Khan has spent the last six weeks in LA working with acclaimed trainer Freddie Roach.

It follows an initial two-month spell on the west coast of America following his loss to Breidis Prescott.

That training camp resulted in Khan beating Oisin Fagan at the ExCeL Arena in December, and he's hoping for another victory under Roach on March 14.

The American will join Khan over the weekend.

"I can't wait for the fight on Saturday," said Khan. "I've still got to prove a few people wrong and hopefully I can do that against Barrera.

"He's a great fighter but I think his style is made for mine.

"This is the right fight at the right time for me.

"I've had a fantastic training camp in the States, and everything has gone brilliantly.

"Freddie is such a knowledgeable trainer and so is everyone around him.

"We've worked out a good game plan for Barrera, and now it's a case of putting it into action."

As he was ahead of the Fagan fight, Khan hasn't bulked up in the States, suggesting, unsurprisingly, that he will be relying on his speed against Barrrea.

"We've worked on my body shape and I'm happy with the way things have gone," said Khan. "I felt so good against Fagan, we've done the same kind of things in camp fitness wise this time around."


Erin Go Brawl II cancelled

NEW YORK (March 6, 2009) – Irish Ropes Promotions announced today that its scheduled March 16th “Erin Go Brawl II” pro boxing show at WaMu Theater in Madison Square Garden had been cancelled due to the poor economy in the United States and Ireland that adversely effected advance ticket sales.

2004 Irish Olympian Andy Lee (16-1, 13 KOs) was slated to fight 3-time world title challenger Antwun “Kid Dynamite” Echols (31-9-4, 27 KOs) in the main event, while 1992 Olympic silver medalist Wayne “Pocket Rocket” McCullough (27-7, 18 KOs), former WBC bantamweight champion, had been matched against Alex “El Diablo” Becerra (19-7, 9 KOs) in the 10 round co-feature.

“This was a very difficult decision to make but ticket sales were way off compared to two years ago when the economy was much better here and back in Ireland,” Irish Ropes Promotions president Eddie McLoughlin explained. “We apologize for any inconveniences, especially to all of the boxers who worked so hard to prepare for their fights.”

Tickets will be reimbursed in full at points of purchase.

Article posted on 08.03.2009



Bookmark and Share


previous article: OnTheGrind Boxing Radio Ep 46 feat. Jason Estrada

next article: Sharkie’s Machine: Kirkland Batters Julio, Ortiz TKOs Arnaoutis


Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top




Boxing Forum







If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact