Boxing


News: Fres Oquendo vs Bruce Seldon; Gabor Veto; The Hinkey Brothers

CHICAGO, IL (July 6, 2009) Fresh off a devastating third round knockout win on Friday, June 26th, two time world title challenger “FAST” Fres Oquendo will now face former heavyweight world champion, Bruce “THE ATLANTIC CITY EXPRESS” Seldon for the NABA Heavyweight Title in the ten round main event at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” on Friday, July 24th at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. Oquendo was originally scheduled to face Argentinean Gonzalo Omar Basile last month at the upcoming “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4”..

Oquendo, now 30-5-0 with nineteen knockouts, was dominant from the opening bell in his long awaited Chicago return against the rugged New Jersey native Mark Brown last month at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 3” Dropping Brown twice hard in the third round, the bout was waived off by referee Geno Rodriguez at the 2:58 mark with a badly hurt Brown unable to defend himself.

Seldon, 40-7-0 (36KO’s), won WBA World Heavyweight Title against Tony Tucker in 1995 and defended it once before losing to the Mike Tyson in September 1996. He has knocked out five of his last six opponents. Most recently he stopped Gabe Brown in the fifth round on May 15, 2009 in Atlantic City .

Said Oquendo about Seldon, “Bruce was always a very smart, technical fighter. I expect more of the same from him, he’s got a lot of pop and he knows all of the tricks of the game, so I’m going to have to be at my very best to beat him.”

About his quick return to fighting in Chicago , Oquendo said, “It was such a terrific night for my family and friends to be there, along with the support of the Chicago fight crowd. I really fed off their enthusiasm and look forward to fighting in front of them again on July 24th.”

The knockout win over Brown was Oquendo’s first bout in the Chicagoland area in nine years and his first as part of the Simmons Entertainment Marketing LLC management group, headed by NBA Star Bobby Simmons.

Said Pesoli, “There’s just too many complications bringing Basile in from Argentina , I’ve seen Seldon’s last two fights and he was in very good shape and looked sharp. With his power, experience and intelligence, this is going to make for a terrific heavyweight fight on July 24th.

The undercard at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” is headlined by a terrific lightweight bout between Chicagoans Gadiel Andaluz and Oscar De La Cruz.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, the 26 year old Andaluz won his first three professional bouts in Chicago last year before suffering a setback against Dannie Williams in Tacoma , Washington late last year which moved his record to 3-1-0 (2KO’s).

A native of Mexico City , De La Cruz brings a competitive record of 5-6-0 (2KO’s) into the bout with Andaluz. His eleven pro bouts include battles against outstanding young prospects Matt Remillard, Mike Oliver and Argenis Mendez..

Other newcomers at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” include super featherweight Noe Perez, 2-0-0 (2KO’s), super middleweight Mike Kurzeja, 1-0-0 (1KO) and the pro debuts of heavyweight David Latoria and junior middleweight Nate Mohr in separate bouts.

Additional information on “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” will be announced shortly.

“WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” is presented by Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions, now in its twelfth year as the HOME OF THE BEST IN CHICAGO BOXING.

Advance tickets for “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4”, starting at $31, can be purchased through the 8 Count Productions office at 312-226-5800 and through Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or www.ticketmaster.com.

Doors on the evening of the event will open at 7pm with the first bell at 8pm. The UIC Pavilion is located at 525 S. Racine , just one block south of the Eisenhower Expressway. For further information, please visit their website at www.uicpavilion..com

8 Count Productions, HOME OF THE BEST IN CHICAGO BOXING, was started by Dominic Pesoli in 1998 and has consistently presented the highest quality professional boxing events in Chicagoland. In 2003, Pesoli along with former featherweight contender Mike Garcia, opened JABB Boxing Gym, a 6,000 square foot venue dedicated to the finest Chicagoland boxers of all talent levels.

For more information on 8 Count Productions and JABB Boxing Gym, please visit www.8countproductions.com and www.jabbboxing.com


Gabor Veto Wins Again

The 8 round Bout with Lauricella presented Veto with a new test. The 20-year-old Veto boxed smartly against an opponent who often switched from orthodox to southpaw. The Optimum Sports Agency’s Hungarian prospect constantly connected to the head and body of the Italian. Lauricella had little luck getting to the head of the faster Veto and instead concentrated on countering him. Veto boxed intelligently and frequently connected with his right hand in the first few rounds, instead of going for the early stoppage Veto was patient and followed the game plan.

After a combination in the fourth round which bloodied Lauricella’s nose, Veto appeared inspired and began to apply more pressure forcing Lauricella onto the ropes and pounding the game Italian. After the fifth round ended, Lauricella’s trainer Ralf Hasenohr made a decision to stop fight. It was the correct decision.

“I am happy to be the winner here. I love my sport, like I’ve never loved it. This was my best professional-fight. I gave my all, but although I didn’t show everything. There’s no doubt that there are higher challenges against stronger opponents which lies yet ahead of me”, said Veto. And Enrico Lauricella : “I simply just couldn’t find the key to victory against Gabor today. I’m sorry for my many fans and the great public here in Elzach.”

After the fight the Mayor of Veto’s hometown Varpalota, Arpad Nemeth, congratulated Veto, All Varpalotans are very proud of you. We wait for your homecoming!“ Veto now looks towards a match with German-Iranian Mohesen Moradian (3-1, 1 KO) for the WBC Youth Lightweight Title Eliminator in front of a big crowd at the Castle of Varpalota in Hungary on July 25th, 2009.


Hinkey Brothers Set For Summer Showdown July 10th In Reno

Sensational young prospects Derek and Tyler Hinkey will return to action in their hometown of Reno, Nevada on Friday, July 10th on the terrific undercard of “SUMMER SHOWDOWN” at the Reno Events Center.

“SUMMER SHOWDOWN”, an evening of world class boxing, is headlined by a ten round light heavyweight battle between The Fighting Pride of Northern Nevada, Jesse Brinkley and Baltimore’s Mike “THE PERSECUTOR” Paschall” and is presented by Reno’s “Let’s Get It On” Promotions and Las Vegas based TKO BOXING Promotions.

Middleweight Derek Hinkey, 7-1-0, has thrilled crowds in Northern Nevada since turning professional two years ago, all seven of his wins coming by knockout. This past February 14th he stunned the packed house at the Reno Events Center with a brutal first round knockout of Ariel Espinal on the undercard of the “CIVIL WAR” card headlined by Jesse Brinkley’s win over longtime rival Joey Gilbert.

Younger brother Tyler, 5-0-1, competing at heavyweight, has been just as destructive as his brother, winning four of his fights by first round knockout. On January 23rd of this year he scored a crushing stoppage of Benjamin Lee in Las Vegas .

Tyler will face Los Angeles native, Andrae Carthron, 2-2-2 (1KO), in a scheduled six round bout.

Said Terry Lane of “Let’s Get It On” Promotions, “Both Derek and Tyler are very popular in the Northern Nevada area and we’re thrilled to have them on this card. The fans here in Reno have been very supportive of them since they each turned professional.”

“It’s going to be a terrific night of boxing with Jesse’s return against Paschall, Rustam Nugaev’s taking on Miguel Huerta in the co-main, the Hinkey Brothers, the pro debut of the outstanding Russian amateurs, the Chudinov brothers, along with Matt Remillard and Bayan Jargal in separate bouts.”

“We’re truly giving the fans in Reno a great opportunity to see some outstanding young prospects and future world champions on this card.”

Further details on Derek Hinkey’s bout and the undercard will be announced shortly..

Priced at $128.25, $78.25, $53.25 and $33.25, tickets for “SUMMER SHOWDOWN” can be purchased through Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com , phone 775-787-8497) and The Reno Events Center Box Office. (A five dollar discount is available for students, military and police and fire personnel with ID for general admission tickets ($30.00).

Article posted on 06.07.2009



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Will Yonnhy Pérez Be Colombia’s Next Champion? -“I’m ready for either Darchinyan or Agbeko”

next article: Carl Froch Dismisses Allan Green's Challenge, Says Green Isn't A Big Enough Draw




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact