Boxing


Euro Boxing Roundup: Super Middleweight Tourney; Sebastian Sylvester, More

07.07.09 - By Per Ake Persson: Mike Tyson to go to Belgrade in December? Well, yes, from what I understand itīs being discussed, but if I understand correctly itīs to be ringside guest for a show headlined by cruiserweight Nenad Stankovic and not for a comeback..

We are now all waiting for the official announcement of Sauerland Eventīs version of Ryder Cup - but I am one whoīs not holding my breath waiting for it. There are too many question marks left. One is Mikkel Kesslerīs participation. Not only is he involved in a managerial dispute, the date for the mandatory defence of the WBA title is overdue too. A participation in this tournament and the title is gone.

Sebastian Sylvester relinquished his position as mandatory challenger for the EBU middleweight title. -We are considering other options for Sebastian, says Sauerland Eventīs CEO Chris Meyer. Other options most likely mean moving in Sebastian on the IBF title currently held by Arthur Abraham, whoīs had big problems making the weight for the last year or two and is likely to move up to supermiddle in the near future.

Should the supermiddle Ryder Cup come off one of the consequenses will be that with Andre Dirrell, Andre Ward and Jermain Taylor occupied elsewhere the WBC # 4 Karo Murat, a Sauerland promoted fighter and currently EBU champ, moves into the WBC # 1 spot for a title that current ruler Carl Froch probably will be forced to vacate as he too is occupied elsewhere.

Itīs not by accident that Abraham in this tournament plans to get Jermain Taylor, a former middleweight and a loser in three of his last four bouts, as his first opponent at supermiddle with hometown advantage.

Amin Asikainen, co-challenger for the vacant EBU middleweight title, will now fight the highest available challenger which could be German Mahir Oral, fresh off a brave but losing performance against Arthur Abraham.

P 3 Boxing in Finland begins the new season August 20 or 22 with a show in Helsinki. As for headliner itīs not decided yet.

WBA bantam champ Anselmo Moreno could be heading back to France for another defence of his title, this time against EBU ruler Malik Bouziane. Moreno told press in Panama after returning home he would take two weeks off then resume training again. As for a showdown with compatriot Nehomar Cermeno, the interim titleholder, Moreno ruled that out for financial reasons. -The paydays are much better in Europe, stated Moreno to a Panamanian paper.

The winner of the clash between welters Jackson Osei Bonsu and Selcuk Aydin July 11 in Istanbul will have a mandatory challenger for the EBU title in Italian veteran Gianluca Branco. Branco thus have a spot on the undercard and face Hungarian Janos Petrovic. Jackson vs Aydin is also a final WBC eliminator and Selcukīs WBC Intīl belt is also at stake.

The cruiserweight fight between Goran Delic and Michele Di Meo postponed from June 28 when a bad storm broke out just the before the first bell was to ring went ahead last night in Banja Luka (B & H). Delic won a wide unanimous decision over twelve. At stake was the UBO and WBF I/C titles.

Article posted on 06.07.2009



Bookmark and Share


previous article: 'Left-Hook Lounge': Vivek Wallace's mailbag feat. Chambers, Haye, Darchinyan, and Pavlik

next article: Rigondeaux, Prescott Back In Action on July 17 in Las Vegas


Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top




Boxing Forum







If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact