Felix Sturm quits contract with Universum; European Boxing Roundup
According to German BILD-Zeitung WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm quits his contract. “I will never fight for Universum again”, states Sturm. “I’d rather retire.” Apparently, the contract of the 30-year-old is running out on November 16th. Universum claims to have an option to extend the contract for another three years. Sturm’s manager Roland Bebak said he had three different law firms checking the clause independently and all agreed it was immoral and therefore invalid. “Both sides benefited from our partnership” said Sturm. “Now I reached a point where I want to stand on my own feet..”
Article posted on 11.08.2009
Euro Boxing Roundup by Per Ake Persson
WBA middle champ Felix Sturm is telling media in Germany he will no longer fight for Universum even if it means he has to quit boxing. The contract with Universum expires in November this year with a one-sided option for the promoter for a continuation of the contract for another three years. Sturm´s manager Roland Bebak claims he´s had three lawfirms looking into this and all say this clause is "immoral" - if that is enough to get out remains very much to be seen though. No details are known as to why Sturm has made his drastic decision. It´s however not the first time that Felix has locked horns with his promoter. Universum claims a valid contract with Sturm.
A Spanish court has ordered WBA lightheavy champ Gabriel Campillo not to go through with the August 15 defence against Beibut Shumenov in Kazachstan. Campillo beat Hugo Hernan Garay, signed to a promotional deal with Universum, to win the title in a huge upset. Campillo had - as is the standard in Europe - in the contract for the fight agreed on options for Universum in case of a win. The Campillo vs Shumenov fight was made outside of the existing contract. We may now see Campillo fighting in Budapest August 22 instead taking on German Jurgen Brahmer, the WBA # 1 challenger. Brahmer is as it is now lined up to fight Aleksyi Kuziemski for the interim WBO title. As for Shumenov and KZ Event there are no official comments yet. Campillo is in Kazachstan and somehow I find it hard for a Spanish court order to reach him there.
It appears that IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko is looking to fight WBO mandatory challenger Eddie Chambers before taking on IBF mandatory challenger Aleksander Povetkin. Povetkin will try and stay busy while waiting and have a fight lined up for the end of September.
Jr middle Phil Lo Greco have been signed up by OPI 2000 and will make his debut for his new promoters August 22 in Budapest against Frenchman Sebastian Spengler. Lo Greco is 17-0 and have previously fought out of Montreal with the Group Yvon Michel. As an amateur he won the Italian title in 2003 but failed to reach the Olympic Games in 04.
Turkish heavy Sinan Samil Sam is sidelined due to illness until December. Arena, who promote Sam, have an agreement with OPI 2000 about Sinan fighting Italian Paolo Vidoz during the fall for the vacant EBU title. Paolo may now get another opponent and there are undoubtedly a few possible challengers such as Aleksandre Dimitrenko or Alexander Povetkin.
previous article: Jason Estrada-Zuri Lawrence On September 2nd?
next article: Vitali Klitschko vs Chris Arreola
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top