KOTAI HEADING TO PUERTO RICO
23.11.03 - Having gotten back to winning ways rather easily with an opening-round dismissal of overmatched Austrian Josef Brayer, after getting his unbeaten record snatched last September, WBF superwelterweight champion Mihaly Kotai went straight back into training and set camp in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, the 27-year-old’s promoter Krzysztof Zbarski of Polish Boxing Promotion took the opportunity to include the Hungarian into Top Rank’s December 6 promotion on Puerto Rico.“Eric Morel defends his WBA flyweight title plus Ivan Calderon puts his WBO strawweight belt on the line – that’s great company for Mihaly to show off his stuff,” said a delighted manager Olaf Schroeder, whose company Fight Production manages the 25-1 (12 KO’s) World Boxing Foundation boss. Although no opponent has been confirmed yet, it is determined that Kotai will appear in the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon in an 8-rounder, because Schroeder is said to be in negotiations for a title defence next January.
Article posted on 23.11.2003
HEINICHEN DEFEATED IN WBB CHALLENGE
German cruiserweight Marco Heinichen, who debuted for new management Fight Production last month with a KO win over heavyweight Dimitrios Alexoudis, last Thursday (Nov. 20) received the biggest purse of his career, but was predictably outclassed by Mohammed Benguesmia in a fight for the vacant World Boxing Board (WBB) cruiserweight championship. Referee Sketen Jabucanin of Yugoslavia intervened in round three much to the delight of the Algiers, Algeria hometown crowd. However, ringside reports describe the stoppage as a bit premature, because Heinichen never was down or counted over, although well put in his place. It was an ambitous match anyway for the 30-year-old from Berlin, who saw his overall record dip to 6-8 (5 KO’s).
previous article: Larios knocks out Kiatlisakchicchoi in the 10th
next article: EBU VICE PRESIDENT: “GO BACK TO ALGERIA!”