Countdown to Dunne – Poonsawat almost complete
- Bernard Dunne (121.5 lbs) V Poonsawt Kratingdaenggym (122 lbs)
Article posted on 24.09.2009
12 Rounds for the WBA World Super Bantamweight Title
- Tyson Fury (261 pounds) V Tomas Mrazek (222.5 pounds) – 6 Rounds
- Jamie Power (177.5 lbs) V Michael Sweeney (178.8 lbs) – 8 Rounds
- Patrick Hyland (126 lbs) V Manuel Sequera (130 lbs) – 8 Rounds ..
- The waiting is almost over for Bernard Dunne with the first defence of his World title just over 24 hours away. Dunne faces the challenge of mandatory challenger Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym on the Hunky Dorys World Title Fight Night at The O2 tomorrow (Saturday, September 26th) with the Dubliner’s WBA Super Bantamweight title on the line. Dunne has been content to let Poonsawat do most of the talking since his arrival in Dublin last weekend. The Thai challenger is predicting a KO win inside 7 rounds but the Champion has his own ideas.
“He’s been the mandatory challenger for this title for 18 months now,” said Dunne. “He says he’s been made to wait but as soon as I won the belt I was happy to give him his chance, so lets see what he’s made of now. I know what I’m up against, we’ve studied him and come up with a game plan. He’s an excellent fighter but at this level you’re always going to come up against top level operators.”
Dunne hopes to be even better then he was back in March when he ripped the title away from then Champion Ricardo Cordoba in 11 breathtaking rounds on an incredible night at The O2. “The Cordoba fight is history now,” stressed Dunne. “There’s no point me dwelling on that fight, it’s all about Poonsawat now and holding on to this title. I fought very hard to get to this level and I’m going to fight even harder to stay here.”
Dunne V Poonsawat headlines the Hunky Dorys World Title Fight Night with 6 foot 9 inch unbeaten heavyweight Tyson Fury featuring on the undercard in a special attraction against Tomas Mrazek of the Czech Republic.
An intriguing All-Irish affair will see undefeated duo Jamie Power (Limerick) and Michael Sweeney (Mayo) put their unbeaten records on the line against each other over 8 rounds at Light Heavyweight.
Reigning Irish Welterweight champion, Stephen Haughian will also feature as he takes on Estonia’s Albert Starikov while three Dublin favourites also take to the ring with current Irish and IBF International Featherweight champ Patrick Hyland, former Irish Lightweight champ Oisin Fagan and exciting Middleweight Anthony Fitzgerald featuring in separate bouts.
Tickets for the Hunky Dorys World Title Fight Night are priced from €50 and are available from Ticketmaster (phone 0818 719 300 or visit ticketmaster.ie). Tickets are also available from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.
Doors open at The 02 at 6:30pm with the first bout at 7pm. The event is live on RTÉ TWO from 9:30 tomorrow night.
previous article: 'Call Em Out Fridays': Arreola/Klitschko - No Light Action For These Heavyweights
next article: Vitali Klitschko - Chris Arreola Undercard Weigh-In Photos
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top