Tyson Fury-John McDermott II - The Saga Of The Long Awaited Rematch
by James Slater - Unbeaten heavyweight hope Tyson Fury, who picked up a controversial points win over John McDermott last September, should have faced "Big Bad John" in a second fight by now. However, due to postponements caused by various things, the anticipated return has still to take place. The most recent date for the rematch of one of Britain's most controversial fights of 2009 was this coming Saturday, with the bout to be held in Manchester. Instead, yet another postponement occurred and the fight was scratched again..
Article posted on 17.05.2010
According to a news piece on Boxrec.com, promoter Frank Maloney (who promotes McDermott) will stage the return by the end of June - as per the BBB of C's orders. Apparently, for whatever reason, Mick Hennessey (Fury's promoter) requested "yet another" extension to postpone the rematch from the May 22nd date, which angered The British Board into ordering that the return takes place by the end of next month at the latest.
The new date being suggested for the bout that will be a final eliminator for the British heavyweight title currently held by the unbeaten Derek Chisora is June 11th (venue to be determined). Both fighters want to get the rematch on, and Fury especially has been annoyed at his recent, enforced inactivity.
At one point in his career, the 6'7" 21-year-old was boxing once a month, yet since the win over McDermott he has fought on just two occasions. Injuries have been partly to blame, but Fury has been dismayed by the postponements the McDermott rematch has had due to other reasons. Actually, rumours even surfaced suggesting Fury may leave Hennessey due to his inactivity. However, in an interview with Morning Star, Fury, 10-0(8) said this will not be the case.
"You have to take the good with the bad and Mick has been good to me, so I'm not thinking about looking for another promoter," Fury said. "What I do need though is to fight more often. One fight in eight months is not enough. I've not even had much sparring.
"This fight [with McDermott] has been called off about five times and I don't know what's going on. I have to get my career moving."
Fury has fought just twice since the ten-round points win over McDermott (a win many felt he didn't deserve) - beating Tomas Mrazek a mere two weeks after the win over McDermott, and then seeing off Hans Blasko in March of this year. McDermott, 25-6(16) and the older man by nine years, has not boxed at all since losing the decision last September.
It seems, though, that the needed return will at last go ahead in June. What kind of a fight it will be, however, is anyone's guess. While the first fight was full of good action, both men had been active before entering the ring to face one another - will the pair be ring-rusty in the return fight, and if so will this make for a less than thrilling encounter?
At least Fury has been seen in public and at least he has been talking about the return match. McDermott, on the other hand, all but vanished after the first fight, and we have read none of his thoughts about the return fight. It is to be hoped that McDermott has been training hard in anticipation of fight-two, and that this is the reason for his low profile. If he is in shape, and if he is as up for the rematch as he was for the first encounter, a serious chance must be given towards "Big Bad John" repeating his performance of last year. But if this is the case, will he get his hand raised this time?
Hopefully, we WILL soon see.
previous article: Can Kevin Mitchell Still Become A World Champ? The 25-year-old Says He Can, With Better Preparation
next article: The Magic Might Be Gone (Amir Khan TKO's Paulie Malignaggi)
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top