WBA Super Champ Felix Sturm returns on September 4
Last week WBA middleweight super champion Felix Sturm has reached an agreement with his former promoter Klaus-Peter Kohl (Universum) regarding the end of their promotional contract. Now Sturm is free to organize and promote his fight all by himself. His comeback after more than a year of ring absence is scheduled for September 4th in his home town Cologne (Germany). The three-time world champion will announce his opponent and further details on the show at a press conference next week..
"There is one thing I can already tell you", Sturm said today. "We are working on a huge show and we will present a great opponent with international experience."
Though Sturm admitted that it was hard to find a suitable opponent. "We have negotiated with different fighters from overseas but for some reason most of them asked for crazy money. I donít know what theyíre thinking. Here in Germany I got calls from fighters with decent records who wanted to fight me for free Ė just for the shot at the title."
Word is that Ricardo Mayorga and Kermit Cintron have been in Sturmís focus for his comeback fight. Cintron obviously declined the offer made by Sturmís handlers because it was too little money and not enough time to get ready for the title shot.
"I will not comment on any names" said Sturm. "All I can say is that next week we will announce a world class opponent for September 4th."
Asked if he fears any problems of ring rust after his long lay-off, Sturm said "I feel great at the moment. I chose to take a break to spend some time with my wife and my new-born son. It was good not to think about boxing all the time and not to count the calories on every meal. Now I am all fired up to get back into the ring. I cannot wait for my comeback. I am even looking forward to the hard weeks of preparation and training camp and I will prove that I got no ring rust whatsoever."