News: Brian Minto; Giovanni Lorenzo; Demetrius Andrade
Former heavyweight contender and WBO cruiserweight title challenger Brian "The Beast" Minto (34-4) returns to the ring on Friday October 29th at Ghost Riders' Entertainment Complex in Minto's hometown of Butler, Pennsylvania. Minto will face Corey "The Cobra" Phelps (13-6-1) in the ten round main event for the vacant WBC Continental-Americas cruiserweight title. After losing consecutively to heavyweight contender Chris Arreola (29-2) and WBO cruiser champ Marco Huck (30-1), Minto aims to rebound against the upset minded 6'3 Phelps.. Phelps is coming off losing an 8 round decision against Dewey Cooper (18-3-3) in Las Vegas; prior to that bout, Phelps had been credited with a draw versus eventual IBF title challenger Bobby Gunn (21-4-1). The undercard will showcase local lightweight Chris Hazimihalis (3-0) in a six rounder, while local junior middle, Joe Luketic, makes his debut in a four rounder. Tickets are priced at $20 & $50 and available by calling (724) 287-6923.
Article posted on 12.09.2010
LORENZO STILL STEAMED OVER LOSS TO STURM, LOOKING FOR QUICK RETURN
NEW YORK, NEW YORK (September 14, 2010) Still upset over his recent loss to WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm on September 4th in Cologne, Germany, Giovanni Lorenzo is making plans to return to the ring before the end of the year and is targeting the biggest names in the middleweight division.
“I felt like the judging in the Sturm fight was terrible. It was a close fight, but I felt that I won at least half of the rounds. I still can’t understand how the judges only scored two for me. There were ringside media who spoke to my managers after the fight and they thought the fight was a draw” said Lorenzo.
“I believe I am the uncrowned middleweight champion of both the IBF and the WBA. I’m anxious to get back in the ring and continue my quest for a world title. Sturm said at the press conference that he would give me a rematch. I’d love to get him back in the ring again.”
“He never hurt me once during the fight. I think the judges gave him too much credit for his jab because he wasn’t hurting me at all. I see that the fight is on YouTube already. I invite everyone to watch the fight and you’ll see that I won and deserve to have the belt. It’s very frustrating.”
Other middleweights on Lorenzo’s hit list include Sergio Martinez, Kelly Pavlik, Danny Jacobs, Peter Manfredo Jr., David Lemieux, Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin and Sebastian Zbik.
“Both of my world title fights have come overseas. I’d like to fight a big fight here in America, preferably at Madison Square Garden. It would be a great scene with thousands of Dominicans supporting me in a big fight. I’d prefer a rematch with Sturm - but I’ll fight any of the big names in my division.”
The 29 year old Lorenzo’s record stands at 29-3-0 (21KO’s). He is promoted by TKO Boxing Promotions and managed by Kurt Emhoff and Rich Ryan.
OLYMPIAN ANDRADE HIGHLIGHTS "FIGHT TO EDUCATE" THIS WEDNESDAY
This Wednesday, highly touted undefeated jr. middleweight prospect, Demetrius Andrade (10-0, 7KO's) will look to keep his unbeaten streak alive when he takes on veteran Dave Saunders as part of the annual "The Fight to Educate" card at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. The fight, scheduled for eight rounds, is the main event bout of the evening and is presented by Star Boxing and Banner Promotions on the Gotham Boxing promoted card.
The 2007 Amateur World Champion, and 2008 U.S. Olympian Andrade, who hails from Providence, RI, works with a number of different charities and charitable organizations in his hometown, and is excited to be part of the "The Fight to Educate" card, an annual boxing event held in Manchester, New Hampshire to benefit The Bobby Stephen Fund for Education, and other local non-profit organizations.
Through ten fights as a pro, Andrade has showed tremendous ability inside the ring. Possessing blazing speed, and power in both hands, Andrade has easily tore through the competition. Since turning pro, Andrade has further enhanced his national image, being featured on ESPN's popular "Friday Night Fights" series on five separate occasions, including his last fight in April, where he pitched a six-round shut-out over Geoffrey Spruiell.
Following the Spruiell fight, Andrade has had three separate fights fall out, and says he is anxious and looking forward to getting back in the ring, and staying busy for the rest of 2010, as he looks to continue his climb towards a jr. middleweight title shot.
previous article: Irish Amateur Boxing Update
next article: Klitschko TKOs Peter in 10th!
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top