Boxing


News Roundup - Jones-Santiago Postponed, Chavez Jnr-Gomez Official, Johnson Officially In “Super Six”

By James Slater - There are a number of interesting news bits circulating on the boxing web sites today. Here are the three stories I found most interesting.

The Roy Jones Junior Vs. Danny Santiago fight, originally set for October 7th in the former pound-for-pound king’s home town, has been postponed due to a hand in jury that was suffered by the legendary 41-year-old..

“Roy’s manager informed me that Roy injured his left hand while sparring on Saturday and that on Monday, he went to the doctors and x-rays were taken,” John Wirt of Square Ring told ESPN.com. “At this point, we are planning on rescheduling the fight and will make an announcement regarding the new date as soon as possible.”

In truth, there was not too much interest in the fight that was set to take place at an agreed weight of 185-pounds, and most fans simply wish the once-awesome Jones would retire. To give you an idea of the lack of interest in Jones: Dan Rafael writes how Square Ring had been unable to secure a TV deal for the fight against Santiago. How the mighty have fallen.

The talked-of clash between Mexican rivals Julio Cesar Chavez Junior and Alfonso Gomez is now official. Bob Arum informed ESPN.com that the fight will go ahead December 4th in Anaheim, CA, and that the bout will be fought at an agreed weight of 157-pounds. Also set for the card are the following fights: WBC 135-pound champ Humberto Soto-Urbano Antillon, 135-pound contender Brandon Rios against a TBA and Nonito Donaire against Wladimir Sidorenko, at bantamweight, for “a vacant interim belt.”

With regards to the headliner, Gomez, who has been most effective down at 147-pounds, really will be up against it in facing Chavez Junior at just below middleweight. Initially, I felt the fight was close to a 50-50 match-up, but at 157? I have to go with the younger, bigger, very likely stronger man. Gomez must really want the fight to have agreed to come in at that weight.

Finally, former light-heavyweight champ Glen Johnson is officially in as Mikkel Kessler’s “Super Six” replacement. The 41-year-old “Road Warrior” will face Allan Green (the man who replaced Jermain Taylor) on November 6th in Las Vegas, on the under-card of the eagerly anticipated Juan Manuel Lopez-Rafael Marquez clash. Both Johnson and Green currently have no points in the tourney.

“I want to thank Showtime for including me in their Super Six tournament,” Johnson said. “It is gratifying to still be considered worthy of competing with some of the top fighters in the world and on such a prestigious platform.”

Johnson also said he will have no trouble making the 168-pound limit, even if he has not done so sine 2000. As for Green, he looked bad against tournament leader Andre Ward back in June, dropping a wide 12-round UD. “Ghost Dog” was roundly criticised for running in that fight, and he now has to put up a better showing against the tough Johnson. But can he? Could Glen even become the first man to stop Green?

Article posted on 30.09.2010



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Zab Judah Vs. Lucas Matthysse & Robert Guerrero Vs. Vicente Escobedo Headline Nov 6 Event

next article: Exclusive Interview With “Fast” Eddie Chambers - “I Would Love Another Opportunity To Fight Klitschko”




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact