Cleverly Getting Impatient With Brähmer
Nathan Cleverly is hoping Jurgen Braehmer's unification clash with Beibut Shumenov is rescheduled quickly - so he can take on the winner. WBO World Light-Heavyweight champion Braehmer pulled out of this weekend's clash with WBA king Shumenov after being hit with a stomach bug. It's a nightmare scenario for WBO Interim title holder Cleverly, who is desperate to get his hands on the full title. He was hoping to meet the winner of Saturday's fight within months. Instead he may have to wait until later in 2011 for his opportunity - much to his frustration..
Article posted on 05.01.2011
"Having the interim title is a great, but I won't be happy until I've beaten Braehmer or Shumenov to hold the full belt," said the unbeaten Welshman.
"I've been chasing for a fight with Braehmer for months and I'm getting fed up waiting for him, I hope he doesn't run around the ring this much if we get it on.
"First we were waiting to hear about his prison sentance and now he's pulled out with a stomach bug, all this is putting me behind my schedule.
"It looked like it might happen late last year, but instead he went for the unification fight with Shumenov.
"Mind you, I'd have probably done the same in his shoes because he's got more chance against Shumenov than he has against me.
"Fingers crossed that their fight gets rescheduled quickly, because I don't want to be waiting months to become a full world champion.
"I want to meet the winner by June and pick up the two world titles."
Nathan Cleverly Hopes For Homecoming In 2011
Nathan Cleverly has revealed his New Year's resolution - to fight in Wales for the first time in more than three years. The Interim WBO World Light-Heavyweight champion has won his title, as well as the British, Commonwealth and European crowns, on the road.
He has thrilled fans in London, Swindon, Las Vegas, Birmingham and Liverpool since he fought on the undercard of Joe Calzaghe's super-middleweight title clash with Mikkel Kessler in Cardiff as long ago as November 2007.
And while the proud Welshman is contemplating setting up his next training camp in London or Manchester, he won't turn his back on his homeland.
"It's been a long time since I've had the chance to show everyone in Wales how much I have improved," said Cleverly.
"Some people have paid a lot of money to follow me up and down the country, and I owe them a big thank you because their support has been amazing.
"There have been Welsh flags flying all over England, and even in Las Vegas, and it has made me incredibly proud.
"But the one thing I want to do in 2011 is fight in Wales again.
"Since Joe retired, they have not had a fighter who can fill big arenas, and I'm hoping I can step into his shoes.
"I've been lucky enough to fight on undercards at the CIA and the Millennium Stadium.
"To go back to venues like that and be topping a card would be a dream come true.
"I've been speaking to Frank Warren about a big homecoming, and it is something that he definitely wants to do.
"Having my first proper world title fight in Wales has to be top of my wish list for 2011."
previous article: James Toney To Box Again Feb 24th In California - Wants A Summer Showdown With Antonio Tarver
next article: Klitschko vs Chisora Back On - April 30