Boxing


DeGale sees Groves as chinny, Sprott to fly British flag in Prizefighter tourney on 5/7, Prince Badi Ajamu reaches agreement with agent Yanofsky

British Super-Middleweight Champion James DeGale has labelled rival George Groves "chinny" ahead of their big May 21 grudge fight at The O2, London, live on Sky Box Office. Groves was floored in the third round of his Commonwealth super-middleweight title defence against Kenny Anderson, and DeGale believes that it belied a weakness in his armoury.

"I spoke to Carl Froch, and he knocked George out in sparring," said DeGale.

"There's no shame in that because Froch is a world class fighter.

"But he was on the floor against Anderson, all over the place really, and he got knocked out as an amateur as well.

"There is something wrong with his chin, there has to be if he keeps going over all the time, and I will exploit that.

"People keep saying that I haven't been tested yet, but that's only because I keep on winning.

"Paul Smith was supposed to be a test for me and I won that fight easily.

"I hope that George is a test for me, but to be honest he's just going to make me look good."

Ticket for This Is It are priced at:

£500 - Ringside
£300 - Floor
£200 - Floor
£150 - Floor/Tier
£100 - Tier
£80 - Tier
£50 - Tier

To purchase tickets go to:

THE O2
+44 (0) 844 856 0202 or www.theO2.co.uk
Disabled booking line: +44 (0) 208 463 3359

SEE TICKETS
+44 (0) 871 620 7054 or www.seetickets.com

Sprott will fly the flag for Britain in the Prizefighter International heavyweights on 5/7

Michael Sprott will fly the flag for Britain in the Prizefighter International Heavyweights on May 7 at London’s Alexandra Palace, aiming for back-to-back titles in the series.

The 36 year-old is the current UK Prizefighter Heavyweight Champion after lifting the trophy in October but has found opportunities to kick on in his career limited, with just one four-rounder since that night at York Hall.

Now Sprott is ready to take on the 18th edition of Matchroom Sport’s eight-man, one-night tournaments in an attempt to get back into major title contention – returning to the venue where his European title dreams were dashed by Audley Harrison’s final round knockout last April.

Sprott and trainer Jim Evans decided that another crack at Prizefighter was the best way for him to get back into the mix, even though the sole Brit in the line-up so far is less than impressed with the Heavyweights in the UK at the moment.

“It's kind of dry out there at the moment, there's very little happening in the UK Heavyweight scene,” said Sprott. “It's a bit frustrating but I do fight a lot over in Germany so I don't really worry about my place here, I just get on with winning across Europe.

“I was talking to Jim about what will happen next and then the International Prizefighter came around and we decided that I've got nothing to lose so why not go for it. There'll be no surprises for me on the night, it's a good line up so far but I've been here before and claimed the title so I know what is needed.

“I'm definitely ready to fly the flag for Britain, it's going to be great mixing it with all the other countries, it adds a different twist to the night and I want to come out on top.”

Sprott’s last outing was in Germany on the undercard of Vitali Klitschko’s first round win over Odlanier Solis, with the Englishman claiming a unanimous decision over Turkish southpaw Serdar Uysal.

“I hadn't boxed since winning Prizefighter so I just had to get rid of a bit of ring rust,” said Sprott. “Some of my timing was a bit off but I did what I had to do to win and he was there just to survive, tucking up, holding on and running around the ring. I had sparred with Vitali for three weeks beforehand and also with Luan Krasniqi so I've got some good work under my belt already.

“I was hoping to get a big shot after winning the last Prizefighter I was in, but people avoided me. I know that if I win this Prizefighter with these big names in the line up then surely I won’t be denied.”

Joining Sprott in the International Heavyweights are New Jersey’s Kevin ‘Kingpin’ Johnson who boasts 24 victories and just one defeat, a points loss to Vitali Klitschko in a WBC title challenge in December 2009, unbeaten Irish-based Cuban Mike ‘The Rebel’ Perez, who holds ten knockout victories from 13 fights, all inside three rounds, and big-hitting German Konstantin Airich, who holds 13 knockouts from 16 wins and is remembered for a crazy fight with Danny Williams in May 2008. Further names are expected to be added soon as promoters Matchroom Sport promise an explosive night of action with a multi-national flavour.

Tickets for Prizefighter International Heavyweights at London’s Alexandra Palace on Saturday 7 May are available from Matchroom Sport priced £35 unreserved, £50 and £60 ringside and £120 VIP – to buy call Matchroom Sport on 01277 359900.

Prince Badi Ajamu Reaches Agreement with Agent Matt Yanofsky

(Fair Lawn, NJ)- Veteran light heavyweight Prince Badi Ajamu opened the next chapter of his career by signing with agent Matt Yanofsky of New Jersey. Yanofsky has a broad boxing background, working as a writer for various media outlets before specializing in public relations for various fighters and promotional firms. Yanofsky serves in an advisory role to middleweight contender Tarvis Simms.

“We got around to talking and I like the way he does things. His youth definitely serves as an advantage, he’s a young guy who is driven and that’s hard to find these days.” The Camden, NJ native commented in regards to his new agent.

Ajamu has compiled an impressive record 27-3-1, with losses only to impressive company in Rico Hoye, Otis Grant, and the legendary Roy Jones Jr. Ajamu plans to continue to campaign at light heavyweight, and bring his brand of world class boxing to New Jersey fans.

“The main thing is that we want to fight, and we want to bring the kind of fights fans want to see. I’d love to bring the best possible fights to the shores of Atlantic City.”

The former WBC Continental Americas champ notes that he is open to adjusting his plans should the right opportunity arise.

“We’d definitely be willing to go somewhere else if it were the right move, and move up in weight if it were to make sense. There are a lot of different fights out there right now. “

No official date has been announced for the “Boxing Prince’s” next ring venture, but Yanofsky is actively pursuing Ajamu’s next move.

Article posted on 05.04.2011



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Nelson-Arroyo on Friday, Aquino in action on Saturday, Galarza signed by Universal, Shaw and Dibella

next article: Unbeaten Robert Helenius Now A Top-Ten Heavyweight According To Ring Magazine




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact