Boxing


Thompson-Harris, Lopez -Chambers on 5/27, Lawrence-Gavern on 5/27, Three good fights: Ortiz-Berto, Khan-McCloskey & John-Yordan

Los Angeles, CA (April 19, 2011) - Reno, Nevada may be known as 'The Biggest Little City in the World," but on Friday night, May 27, that mini-metropolis will receive national exposure and then some when Goossen Tutor Promotions presents a televised doubleheader of championship boxing billed as "Blame It On Reno, ESPN Style." The world-class event will be at the classic 6,000-seat Reno Events Center operated by the Reno-Sparks Convention Visitors Authority and televised on ESPN2 at 9 p.m. ET.

Reno has a long and illustrious boxing history dating back to July 4, 1910 with the Jeffries-Johnson World Championship bout and many great champions such as Sugar Ray Leonard, Hector Camacho, Alexis Arguello and James Toney all having displayed their talents in front of the knowledgeable and exuberant Reno fight fans.

It's this rich history that ESPN and Goossen Tutor wanted to capture for their upcoming May 27 championship event, "Blame it on Reno, ESPN Style," spearheaded and sponsored by the Silver Legacy Resort Casino, Circus Circus Reno, Harrah's Hotel Casino and the world-famous Eldorado Hotel Casino, long the fighting home of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini.

"We are happy to be back in Reno with the FNF series, it is a city that consistently draws energetic and enthusiastic fans," said Doug Loughrey, Programming Director for ESPN.

The main event of the ESPN2 "Friday Night Fights" telecast - presented in association with Thompson Boxing Promotions - hard-hitting Josesito Lopez (29-3, 17 KOs) will make the first championship defense of his NABF Light Welterweight Title against highly-skilled boxer-puncher "Showtime" Steve Upsher Chambers (23-1-1, 6 KOs) in a scheduled 10-round bout where the winner will look to follow in the footsteps of the greats that made or continued their reputation in Reno.

The co-feature - in association with Boxing 360 - is a scheduled 12-round IBF Heavyweight Championship Elimination bout matching former Heavyweight World Title challenger Tony "The Tiger" Thompson (35-2, 23 KOs) against newly crowned USBA Heavyweight Champion Maurice "Sugar Mo" Harris (24-14-2, 10 KOs).

The 26-year old Lopez will be making his second straight ESPN2 appearance as the Riverside, CA native displayed his talents in the January 28, 2011 co-feature on ESPN. In that bout, Lopez stopped then undefeated, and favored, Michael Dallas, Jr. in the seventh round to capture the NABF 140-pound belt.

"Becoming the champion is one thing, but staying the champion is another story," Lopez said. "Chambers has an opportunity to come and make a name for himself but it's up to me to beat him. I'm going to fight my heart out and, if the knockout presents itself; I'm going to take it."

Coming off the biggest win of his career to date - a hard-fought split-decision win over highly regarded and previously unbeaten Bayan Jargal last November in Atlantic City, NJ - Chambers openly acknowledges the significance of his fight with Lopez.

"This is a dream come true for me; I have never had a belt in my life," the Philadelphia southpaw revealed. And to win this one on national TV with ESPN will give me exposure and put me closer to becoming a world champion."

Being a principal in his first televised main event and fighting west of Philadelphia for just the second time in his career doesn't faze Chambers a bit.

"Really, it doesn't matter where I fight," insists the confident Chambers. "I like to perform for the fans, so being in Reno I'm going to make them proud to cheer for me. They can't fight for us but they can cheer for us. We're the ones in the ring and the only ones who can determine the winner - which will be me!"

Chambers got his nickname from a former NFL great and 2011 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalist. "Curtis Martin is my cousin and he got me my first boxing outfit when I was 15 years old and he put 'Showtime' on it. This fight against Josesito Lopez on ESPN2 is my shot, and I won't blow it. You best believe that!"

Glenn Carano, former Dallas Cowboy quarterback and an executive at the Silver Legacy, succinctly said, "We wanted this event in Reno and made sure we got it for our great fans. If the other cities are disappointed, I say 'Blame it on Reno, ESPN style!'"

As for the co-feature, which catapults the winner into the IBF Heavyweight Title picture against #1 World contender Eddie Chambers, brother of Steve, it is a clash of veteran combatants who have a history - albeit from their early days as professionals.

"I actually fought Maurice Harris some years ago in the "Thunderbox Heavyweight Tournament," Thompson, who hails from Washington, DC, recalls. "He beat me in a three-rounder that did not go against our record. Now it's an opportunity for me to get revenge. And I can guarantee he won't beat me this time. I'll stop him in six rounds or under."

Thompson has four straight TKO wins since his 11-round loss to IBF/WBO Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko in his world title challenge nearly three years ago in Germany. Included among those were stoppages of hot 26-1 prospect Chazz Witherspoon and former world title challenger Owen Beck. Thompson - now 39 - seems to get better with age.

Harris, a 35-year old native out of East Orange, NJ, who turned pro as a 16-year old back in 1992, has a four-fight winning streak of his own - most recently capturing the USBA Heavyweight crown last August. He also owns a significant win over Siarhei Liakhovich, who was 16-0 at the time. Liakhovich rebounded from that setback and eventually became WBO World Heavyweight Champion.

"I've believed all of the years that I would someday be fighting for the world heavyweight title," Harris said. "It feels good to finally have my chance. It's been a long road and I plan on reaching my dream with a victory. I'm more focused today. Age brings wisdom."

"May 27 will be a night of competitive championship bouts with no clear cut winner in any of the bouts. This is sure to be a night of exciting and entertaining fights for our sport and the fans in Reno," stated promoter Dan Goossen of Goossen Tutor Promotions.

Doors open at 4 pm. First Bout at 5 pm. First ESPN televised bout at 6:00 pm PT/9 pm ET.

Tickets for the May 27, 2011 boxing card at the Reno Events Center are priced at $100, $59.50 and $29.50 (General Admission). Tickets may be purchased at Reno Events Center, Eldorado and Silver Legacy's Ticket Offices, or by phone at 1-800-745-3000 and on line at www.ticketmaster.com.

Dual heavyweight IBF titles highlight Friday Night Fights on May 27 at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino

DOVER, Del. — Dover Downs Hotel & Casino will present two heavyweight championship bouts on Friday, May 27 in the Rollins Center arena. For the IBF Intercontinental World Heavyweight Title Franklin “Yah-Yah” Lawrence, 14(9)-2-2, of Indianapolis, Ind. vs. Jason “The Sensation” Gavern, 20(9)-7-4 of Kissimmee, Fla.

The star of the evening is Amir “Hardcore” Mansour with 13 wins (ten KOs) and zero losses, of Wilmington, Del., for the IBF North American Heavyweight Title. This will be Mansour’s first title shot.

The undercard features super middleweight “Mighty” Mike Tiberi, 16(7)-1 of Smyrna, Del., and featherweight “Queen” Ronica Jeffrey, 5(1)-0 of Brooklyn, N.Y. More bouts will be announced soon. Nick Tiberi is the matchmaker.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow at noon, ranging from $40 to $200 and may be purchased at 800-711-5882 or www.doverdowns.com. The first bout will begin at 7:30 p.m. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. Will call will be open from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Three good fights: Ortiz-Berto, Khan-McCloskey & John-Yordan

LOS ANGELES, April 19 - This past weekend was an unforgettable one for the Golden Boy Promotions team, as three of its world-class athletes competed in three world championship bouts on three continents, with Amir Khan, Victor Ortiz and Chris John all emerging victorious with world championship belts strapped around their waists.

"What a great weekend," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "When the pressure was on, Amir, Victor and Chris stepped up and showed why they're World Champions today. I'm proud of them and I can't wait to see what's next for each one."

"On behalf of the company and myself, we would like to congratulate this trio of World Champions for their spectacular performances this past weekend," said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "This was a night to remember on all counts, and there will be more great nights from each of these fighters in the months and years to come."

It was a successful homecoming on Saturday night at the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester, as England's own Amir "King" Khan (25-1, 17 KO's) fought on home soil for the first time since 2009, winning a six-round technical decision over previously unbeaten Irishman Paul "Dudey" McCloskey. There were over 17,000 fans packed inside the building chanting and supporting Khan as he successful defended his WBA Super Lightweight World Title when the fight went to the scorecards following the referee stopping the fight because of a cut suffered by McCloskey from an accidental head butt.

"It was great getting to fight back at home in the U.K. and I'd like to thank all my fans for their support," said Khan. "McCloskey was unbeaten for a reason and he fought hard to stay that way, but I showed I was the better fighter on Saturday night. Now I'm ready for the big names and mega fights, the question is; are they ready for me?"

When the fight ended in Manchester on Saturday afternoon here in the States, this unforgettable weekend wasn't over yet, as "Vicious" Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KO's) put on a career-defining performance against unbeaten WBC Welterweight World Champion Andre Berto at the MGM Grand Theatre at Foxwoods in Mashantucket, Connecticut. The young star rose from two knockdowns and scored two knockdowns of his own en route to a 12-round unanimous decision win over Berto. The stirring victory, which is being heralded by many as an early Fight of the Year candidate, earned Ortiz the WBC title (the first of his career) and proved to the world that he belongs in any conversation about the sport's toughest and most exciting young stars.

"I've been waiting for this moment for a long time and just when everyone counted me out, I proved them wrong," said Ortiz. "I knew I was going to be a World Champion and Saturday night my dream came true. Now I'm going to be even more hungry, so bring on the big fights, because I'm ready for them."

Finally, rounding out the world championship weekend, on Sunday at the Jakarta International Expo in Jakarta, Indonesia, local hero Chris "Dragon" John retained his WBA Featherweight World Title for the 14th time, pounding out a unanimous 12-round decision over ultra-tough countryman Daud Yordan. The toe-to-toe battle was exciting from start to finish, but John as he has been doing since 2003, John successfully defend his title and left with his hands raised in victory maintaining his staus as boxing's longest reigning World Champion.

"Daud Yordan is a great fighter and I'm proud to have shared the ring with him," said John, who remained unbeaten at an amazing 45-0-2 (22 KO's). "It was a tough fight, but my experience at this level made the difference and I'm looking forward to more big fights in 2011."

Article posted on 19.04.2011



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Redemption for Victor Ortiz

next article: Ricky Hatton Offered Comeback Fight Vs. Erik Morales - Chances “Hitman” Will Take It Look Slim




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact