Statement from Wilfried Sauerland on Ward-Abraham officials; John Ruiz not interested in coming out of retirement; Fres Oquendo OUT of Prizefighter Tourny!
Hall-of-Fame Promoter Wilfried Sauerland has postponed King Arthur´s departure to the USA since Dan Goossen and the Californian Boxing Commission have failed to take action in the row over the officials. In the Super Six World Boxing Classic semi-finals, Arthur Abraham was scheduled to take on WBA Super-Middleweight Champion Andre Ward at the Home Depot Center in Carson on May 14. As stated previously, Sauerland will not let Abraham travel to the USA before the Californian Commission honours the existing agreement over neutral officials.
Article posted on 29.04.2011
“Contrary to what Dan Goossen said and contrary to what has been agreed upon by all parties, the Californian Commission still insists on appointing a Californian referee and a Californian judge,” Sauerland said. “It is a shame that the completion of a high-profile global sporting event such as the Super Six tournament is being jeopardized by a promoter and his ridiculous attempts to protect his fighter. Goossen is using exactly the same tactics he did before the Kessler-Ward fight. He is playing dumb and he pretends to be in the dark about the Commission´s nominations. We have protested their decision to appoint a Californian referee because the contracts, which have been signed by Goossen and Ward, clearly state that he should be neither from the USA nor Europe. Most certainly the third man in the ring should not be one of Goossen´s neighbours from California!”
Sauerland underlined that unless the Californian Commission honours the existing agreement, Arthur Abraham will not leave Germany. “This issue needs to be sorted, that’s the bottom line. It´s ridiculous. We are not sure why Goossen and his friends are playing these tricks on us. Ward is the favourite and he is fighting at home. But maybe it has occurred to them that Arthur has the power to knock Ward out with one single punch. Maybe Goossen has realized that this time he can only protect Ward by blocking this fight to get a free trip to the final.”
John Ruiz comfortable in retirement, staying involved in boxing
LAS VEGAS (April 29, 2011) – Two-time World Boxing Association (“WBA”) heavyweight champion John “The Quietman” Ruiz is enjoying retirement by spending time with his family in Las Vegas, but he is also staying involved in boxing in terms of the opening of his boxing gym in the Boston area, as well as starting a consulting agency, “Quietman Sports,” along with his longtime attorney and advisor, Boston Attorney Anthony M. Cardinale.
The 39-year-old Ruiz, who retired from the ring a year ago, had a 44-9-1 (30 KOs) career record and fought in 12 world title fights. In late May, Ruiz is opening a multi-fight gym – boxing, MMA and wrestling – named “Quietman Sports Gym,,” inside of Gold’s Gym in Medford (4000 Mystic Valley Parkway), which is a suburb of Boston only a few miles from where Ruiz grew-up in Chelsea.
“I’m enjoying life with my family in Las Vegas but it was time for the next chapter of my life,” Ruiz explained. “Boxing has been a big part of my life since I was a teenager. I want to pass along what I’ve learned through my experiences to young boxers. I’ll be spending a lot more time in Boston. I’m opening my gym to give kids a place to go, just like I had at the Somerville Boxing Club, where they can learn how box and stay off the streets. There are so many bad temptations for kids today and many of them really need a place to go. When I’m not in town my brother, Eddie, will be in charge of my gym.
“I’m also going to be an advisor so young fighters don’t go through a lot of what I had to go through coming up. Whether they need advice about who they should have as a promoter, manager or trainer, or what to look out for in the bad side of boxing, I’ll be available to them as a consultant. Our services will range from preparing a boxer to fight to negotiating contracts. If they have questions about contracts or other legal issues, Tony is one of the best in the business. During our 14 years and 12 world title fights together, we have seen and dealt with every good and bad aspect of the business.”
For more information about the “Quietman Sports Gym” or “Quietman Sports” consulting, go online to www.JohnTheQuietmanRuiz.com and click on JQR.com.
Oquendo OUT of Prizefighter Tourny!
Friday, April 29, 2011. Due to the death of 47 year old Wendall Granville long time friend and partner in his non-profit charity: Fres Oquendo Boxing Academy, Fres Oquendo, has decided to remove himself from the World Class International Competition. Oquendo, who was considered by many as a strong favorite to win the tournament, just received the news about his friends passing. "My first phone call was to WBA heavyweight champion David Haye to inform him of the news, He was extremely supportive and said the decision was up to Fres" said Oquendo's manager Tom Tsatas, Oquendo also has the full support and understanding of his promoters John Wirt of Square Ring Promotions and Bobby Hitz of Hitz Boxing.
"The sudden loss of a friend is devastating and I am in deep shock, Wendell, helped get me off the streets when I was a knucklehead and stuck with me through all the malaise of boxing for nearly 20 years all the way to helping me make the FOBA come to fruition. I feel I should to be here with his family and partake in any arrangements the family will make this upcoming week. I'd thank my friend, David Haye, and my team for their support" stated Oquendo.
previous article: Pacquiao Wows Kimmel Audience ...Again! - Coleman vs. Rivera tonight; McKart willing to face Fitzgerald in Dublin
next article: Erik Morales Looking For A Big Fight July 30th - Could Face Barrera, Maidana, Khan!
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top