Boxing


Shumenov looking for big fights; Biosse looking forward to fighting again; Markussen and Nielsen in action on September

LAS VEGAS (August 10, 2011) – Unification remains the goal for World Boxing Association (“WBA”) and International Boxing Association (“IBA”) light heavyweight king, Beibut Shumenov. If, however, none of the other 175-pound world champions – Bernard Hopkins, Tavoris Cloud and Nathan Cleverly – are willing or available to put their title belts on the line against Shumenov, the 2004 Kazakhstan Olympian is interested in taking on former world titlists and leading contenders Jean Pascal and Zsolt Erdei.

Moments after Shumenov stopped three-time world title challenger Danny “The Bronx Bomber” Santiagoin the ninth round, unloading 23 unanswered punches before the fight was halted, Beibut was being interviewed on TeleFutura’s “Sólo Boxeo Tecate” live from South Point Hotel Casino in Las Vegas.

Standing in the ring next to Shumenov during post-fight interviews was Pascal, who said he wanted to take Shumenov’s title belts back to Canada. Beibut quickly accepted the challenge with a qualifier, directly saying to Pascal, “You’re from Canada, I’m from Kazakhstan; so, let’s do it where all champions dream of fighting…Las Vegas.”

Shumenov’s first option, naturally, would be to fight Pascal in Kazakhstan, where it would be a huge draw. But In 29 pro fights, Pascal (26-2-1, 16 KOs) has fought only twice outside of his adopted home in Canada, the last time in 2008 when he lost a 12-round decision in the United Kingdom to Carl Froch for the vacant WBC super middleweight championship. “Pascal is a top-level fighter,” Shumenov said about his potential challenger.

If Pascal won’t leave his adopted Canadian home to challenge world champion Shumenov, two-time, two-divisional world champion Erdei (33-0, 18 KOs) is another potential challenger.

“Erdei’s people have already shown interest in fighting me if Pascal isn’t,” Beibut noted. “Erdei is unbeaten and a two-time world champion, first at light heavyweight and then as a cruiserweight. He’s moved back down to light heavyweight and is a top challenger, more of a boxer than puncher, and now he trains (Philadelphia) in the U.S.”

Erdei and Pascal are rated No. 4 and No. 5, respectively, in the current WBA ratings. Shumenov, who says he’ll fight one more time in 2011, concluded, “I’m ready to fight any of the top light heavyweights in the world.”

Shumenov (12-1, 8 KOs) set a light heavyweight record for capturing a world title in the fewest career fights, 10, when (Jan. 10, 2010) he won a 12-round decision against Gabriel Campillo in Las Vegas. In three successful world title defenses, Shumenov won a unanimous 12-round decision versus No. 1 mandatory challenger and previously undefeated Viacheslav Uzelkov (UDEC12), followed by a six-round knockout of three-time world champion William Joppy (KO6), and then his recent victory by ninth-round TKO versus WBA No. 15-rated Santiago.

In only 13 pro fights, Beibut has defeated four world champions (Campillo, Joppy, Byron Mitchell and Montell Griffin), as well as three world title challengers (Uzelkov, Santiago and Epifanio Mendoza

For additional information about Shumenov visit www.KZEventProductions.com.

Biosse eagerly awaits return to the ring

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Aug. 10, 2011) – Whoever happens to be standing across from Vladine Biosse when “Mr. Providence” makes his long-awaited return to the ring later this year might be forced to bear the brunt of Biosse’s pent-up frustration.

“We’re in the gym ready to kill somebody,” Biosse said. “I hope the next guy is training hard.”

The formerly-unbeaten super middleweight from Providence, R.I., is eagerly anticipating his next fight after suffering his first loss on May 6th at Foxwoods Resort Casino’s Fox Theater against Russian challenger Denis Grachev, who dropped Biosse three times in the fourth round en route to a knockout victory.

The loss, which occurred one month after Biosse knocked out Tim Connors in the co-feature of ESPN’s “Friday Night Fights,” turned out to be a humbling experience for the former University of Rhode Island football star, who now has a better sense of how to prepare accordingly for an upcoming fight.

“Even though I work hard – and I know I always say it, but I don’t see anyone who works harder than me in this sport, period – I learned it’s not just about working hard, but being smart with all the hard work,” Biosse said.

“That’s what got me in trouble in the last fight. Props to my opponent; he was very sharp and he capitalized on the opportunity, but I was definitely burned out. Seeing as though I had fought a month earlier and then went right back into the gym that following Monday, it’s clear I just over-trained myself.

“After three or four rounds, I’m usually just warming up. This time, after three rounds I was done and he was hitting me with everything he wanted to hit me with.”

A lot has changed for Biosse since the loss to Grachev. After reevaluating his future with trainer Orlondo Valles and manager Quint Dow Sr., Biosse decided to leave Manfredo’s Gym in Pawtucket, R.I., and will soon have a new home upstairs from Dow’s Quintco Trucking, Inc., headquarters in nearby Rumford.

Until the new facility opens, Biosse (11-1, 6 KOs) will continue to work out at various gyms, including Balletto’s Gym in Providence, 401 Boxing in Cranston and Grundy’s Gym in Central Falls.

“Just being able to have my own place will be a very exciting situation for me,” Biosse said. “This is my house. I don’t have to be underneath anyone or feel pressured by anyone. I’m calling most of the shots. I’ll be comfortable, which is important, especially in this sport because you need to be in your own comfort zone.”

Though there are no scheduled fights on the horizon, Biosse has continued to train as if he’s preparing for his next opponent. After taking two weeks to heal his wounds, Biosse jumped right back into sparring, strength and conditioning, and the mobility drills he’s grown accustomed to under Valles’ tutelage.

“I’ve got big shoes to fill,” Biosse said, “and a lot of wrongs to right. I want to get back in there as soon as possible. I actually wanted to get back in there on [July 29th at Mohegan Sun]. A lot of people asked me, ‘Do you feel derailed?’ No, I feel good. I feel eager to get back in there, get back to work and get back to the pace I had going.

“When you have an arena full of people screaming your name and you’re the main event, it’s your job to put on a good show for them and keep them excited. If I fail them like I did in the last fight, I feel responsible to go back in there. To the people who support me, I thank you. I feel like I owe you one.”

Biosse has already accomplished more in two years than most fighters accomplish in a lifetime, including two appearances on national television in front of 42 million homes, though some of his critics suggest he’s moving too fast, especially since he fought his first eight-round bout against Joey McCreedy on ESPN only two months after beating Joe Gardner in a four-rounder.

“A lot of people say that, but I disagree,” Biosse said. “I’m 29; I had a late start, so I think we’re moving at the right pace. People have their own opinions, but what makes the difference is the people around me – my promoter [Jimmy Burchfield Sr.], my manager, my coach – are capable of making those decisions. Whatever the team decides as a whole is what we’re going to do.

“People on Facebook and Twitter are asking me if I’m packing it up. I haven’t even gotten started yet! I just got in this game. I’m as motivated now as I’ve ever been.”

Strangely enough, this loss might’ve been just what Biosse needed to avoid the pitfalls that often derail a young up-and-comer who achieves immediate success. The good news, as Biosse puts it, is “it happened early in my career.”

“This loss humbled me and gave me even more hunger to go get it. I understand there’s so much to accomplish and that I haven’t even gotten there yet. Of course, it was devastating. No one wants to lose, but it was a learning experience. I’m way smarter because of that situation, and I’m definitely preparing myself in better and smarter ways. To my fans, stay tuned. There’s plenty more to come.”

Markussen and Nielsen in action on September 3

Rudy Markussen and Patrick Nielsen will be headlining the fifth TV2 Fight Night in Herning on September 3. The “Hardhitter” will make his first fight in ten months after a neck injury has kept him on the sidelines. He will face an opponent to be announced shortly. “The TV2 Fight Night is delighted to welcome Rudy back,” promoter Nisse Sauerland said. “His last two fights have been very promising and I´m confident he will continue where he left it.”

Markussen (35-2, 22 KOs) last defeated Dejan Ribic in November 2010 (KO round 1) in his second fight after a lay-off of three-and-a-half years. His victories have not gone unnoticed in the boxing world, with the World Boxing Council (WBC) currently ranking him as the number seven in their ratings. “I´m thrilled to be back,” Markussen said. “This is like my second comeback. It was a tough time for me. I was on such a good way and ready for big fights when the neck injury slowed me down. Everything is fine now and I´m ready to rumble again. I will put on a great show on September 3 which will put me in line for greater things.”

Also in action will be middleweight sensation Patrick Nielsen (10-0, 6 KOs), who locks horns with tough veteran Italian Gaetano Nespro (18-8, 2 KOs). “He is a very strong and very experienced opponent,” Nielsen said. “It will be another good experience for me. The fans in Herning have been fantastic and I will please them once again with a spectacular fight.”

Kasper Bruun and Kim Poulsen will also step into the ring in Herning. Their opponents will be announced shortly.

Article posted on 10.08.2011



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Pacquiao's song a big hit; Gonzalez-Soto on 9/2

next article: Rafael Marquez-Toshiaka Nishioka - Can The Modern Day Mexican Legend Win Another World Title?


Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top




Boxing Forum







If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact