Boxing


Frampton thrilled to fight on Belfast’s biggest boxing night

Carl Frampton says his fight with Kiko Martinez is the biggest night of boxing that Ireland has seen “for many, many years” and vows to keep the European belt in Belfast.

Frampton fights for the Spaniard’s Super Bantamweight title on the undercard of Paul McCloskey’s bout with Breidis Prescott live on Sky Sports on Saturday September 10 at the Odyssey Arena in Northern Ireland’s capital..
The 24 year-old was named as one of Sky Sports’ 11 to watch in 2011 and has the chance to claim a major title in just his 11th professional bout. Martinez is in his third reign as European champion after defeating Jason Booth in April for the vacant strap but Frampton is adamant that ‘La Sensación’ will go home empty-handed.

“It's the biggest night of boxing that Belfast has seen in many, many years and the European title is a big belt to win,” said Frampton. “I'm looking to win this, defend it for 18 months and then move onto a World Title shot. I feel that I'm just shy of World Class level but I want to get there so winning this title and defending it will get me there.

“It's going to be a tough fight and I have a great deal of respect for Kiko – it's going to be the toughest fight of my career, both professional and amateur. I have trained well, camp has been great and I'm ready for 12 rounds now if you wanted to put me out there tomorrow.”

One man who knows plenty about big fight nights in Belfast is Frampton’s manager Barry McGuigan. The Clones Cyclone was quick to concede that Martinez represents the strongest test of his protégé’s talent so far, but is confident he will see him off.

“There is a risk attached, of course there is,” said McGuigan. “Some will say that we've taken it too early, that's an accusation that has been levelled at us and its fair comment. But the game has changed in the last 20 or 30 years. A lot of fighters do their learning in the big fights and take greater risks these days because shows don't make money so you have to take the fights on the television shows like those Matchroom Sport have provided us with.

“I don't want to diminish Kiko as a fighter in any way, we see this as a massive test, but I know that Carl has the tools to beat him. That's all you need to know – he has too much in his armoury.

“Yes, it's only Carl's 11th fight – but Paul Weir won the World title in just his sixth fight, George Groves won the Commonwealth title in his ninth fight, James DeGale won the British title in his ninth fight – Carl has had 150 amateur fights, Martinez just 44 so Carl has three times the experience as an amateur. Now, nobody knows more than me that the pro game is different, with time and quality sparring Carl is making those little adjustments that are necessary. He has flair, he's got his own style, he's fantastically exciting to watch and I don't believe we've even seen 40 per cent of what he is capable of, and he's getting better all the time.

“Kiko hasn't fought someone like Carl. Has he fought someone as powerful? Possibly, but not someone with Carl's technique, skill and variety.”

McGuigan was also quick to praise Matchroom Sport and promoter Eddie Hearn for staging such a marquee event in Belfast.

“I'm thrilled to be associated with Matchroom,” said McGuigan. “They have been my preferred partner since I started as a professional, starting with Barry and now with Eddie, who has been a breath of fresh air since he came into the game, he knows his stuff inside and out, so we're thrilled to have this opportunity through them to fight Kiko Martinez.”

Tickets for Paul McCloskey vs. Breidis Prescott plus a full championship undercard led by Carl Frampton vs. Kiko Martinez are on sale now priced at £30-£200 (tickets may be subject to service charge) and available from the Odyssey Arena Box Office on 02890 73 9074, Ticketmaster 0844 277 4455 (24 hour). Tickets are also available in person from the Odyssey Arena Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, and online from www.ticketmaster.ie.

Tom Scott makes pro debut on Friday against Bobby Wood


TOM SCOTT is out to be a model pro when he makes his professional debut on Friday night (19th Aug).

Middleweight Scott boxes a six rounder in hometown Blackpool when he faces Bobby Wood at the famous Tower Circus.

The fighting pretty boy has been in demand as a model and was auditioned to be the new face of Gillette.

Scott who has sold 180 tickets for his professional bow said: “I am not a shy person, but I am not used to being in front of a camera.

“When I went to the Gillette shoot in Manchester it was the first modelling I had done and although I never got the role it was a great experience.

“Since then I have had a lot of photographers asking if they can picture me for their portfolio and I would do some modelling if it came my way.”

Scott admits he was an ordinary amateur, but did have a few EBF fights where he proved himself.

He added: “I boxed a few professionals on EBF shows and did well so I decided to turn professional.

“I was never suited to the amateur game and I have come on so much training and sparring with boxers like Prince Arron.”

In the Blackpool bill topper Matthew Hatton challenges unbeaten Belarussian Andrei Abramenka for the vacant IBF intercontinental welterweight championship

Local Central area cruiserweight champion Matty Askin has a tough nut to crack when he clashes with rugged Argentinian Juan Manuel Garay.

Askin’s occasional sparring partner, Rik Turba is up against Dutchman Mitchell Balker over eight rounds

Other prospects on the bill include welterweight hopeful Adam Little who tackles Liam Griffiths.

In a six round bantamweight attraction Kazakhstan’s Zhanat Zhakyanov faces Anwar Alfadi.

The show promoted by Robert Waterman will be televised live by Eurosport and ticket are available prices £35, £55 and £75 VIP from 01925 755222 and www.ticketline.co.uk

Inside The Ropes With Bare-Knuckle Boxing Champion Bobby "The Celtic Warrior" Gunn

It’s been nearly two weeks since seven-time cruiserweight boxing champion Bobby Gunn defeated Rich Stewart via a third round KO in the first bare-knuckle boxing match since 1889.

With the victory Gunn claimed the vacant heavyweight bare-knuckle boxing title, last held by John L. Sullivan. Gunn sat down with us this week to talk about the fight, all of the buzz surrounding it, and what he has planned going forward.


Cella: What does it mean to you to have won the vacant heavyweight bare-knuckle boxing championship of the world?

Gunn: It means the world to me, to be connected to an all-time great like that. It was an extraordinary night and an extraordinary event.

Cella: Leading up to the fight, there were mixed reactions by fans and critics. Many claimed it was too barbaric and unsafe. What were your thoughts about that going into the fight?

Gunn: I ask the critics to watch the fight and see for themselves. Nobody was sent to the hospital, nobody got injured; there was nothing barbaric about it. You see people getting injured in boxing and MMA every year. All of the proper precautions were taken prior to the fight. There were two referees and medical personnel ringside. People don’t realize is that it wasn’t a street fight between two people who didn’t know what they were doing. It was a strategic and thought-out fight between two professionals, and it showed.

Cella: Following the fight there has been a lot of buzz circulating around the fight sport world. After the knockout do you think you won boxing and MMA fans over?

Gunn: If fans watch the fight, they will see how clean and respectful it was. If they look at it in that point of view, I think they will be intrigued to see more of it in the future. Fans like to watch boxing and MMA because they want to see two warriors stand there and throw hands. Bare-knuckle boxing is the ultimate test of one’s skill, and I know I will put on a show for fans every time out.

Cella: There has been some talk about the fight not being legal or sanctioned. What are your thoughts on this?

Gunn: There is always going to be someone looking to bring down an organization or a fighter. It’s the nature of the beast. The tribal council and promoters did everything they needed to ensure this was sanctioned. If this was such an issue prior to the fight it would’ve never happened. People like to stir up conversations after the fact just to hear themselves speak. At the end of the day it was a great event; families came out and had a great time, and I did what I was supposed to do—fight and win. I just hope people want to see more of it in the future.

Cella: After this first fight, do you think bare-knuckle boxing is going to take off?

Gunn: It all comes down to how it is received by the fans. People are going to pass their opinion. There will always be critics, no matter what you do. Regardless of what people say, I don’t pay much attention to that. In the end, the fans will always overwhelm the critics.

Cella: Going forward, are boxing fans going to see you back in the square circle?

Gunn: I am always looking for an opportunity. The problem is that after the Tomasz Adamek fight, I never got a decent offer. That has kept me from the square circle, but my first love has always been boxing.

Cella: What is next for Bobby Gunn?

Gunn: I am currently working on a big fight, possibly in Ireland or Dubai. It will be for the heavyweight bare-knuckle championship; I’ll be defending my title. It will probably be in October, though we haven’t finalized anything yet.

Cella: Lastly champ, any shot outs?

Gunn: I want to thank all my fans and everyone who supported me. And my attorney George Kokkalenios and team for pushing me into this fight. They were with me the whole way, and because of them I am really glad I did take it.

Many thanks to Bobby “The Celtic Warrior”, a true champion inside and out of the ring. Stay tuned with everything that happens with Team Gunn by visiting https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bobby-The-Celtic-Warrior-Gunn/229151550460878?ref=ts.

Article posted on 18.08.2011



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Ghana's Ishmael Tetteh vs Marco Schulze for WBU title in Germany October 15; Napari vs Petkovic on Oct 14

next article: Breaking News: Robert Guerrero Out Of Marcos Maidana Fight With Shoulder Injury




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact