Khan Doubts Guerrero’s Injury, Maidana Tears Into Khan - “El Chino” Hopes For An Aug. 27th Replacement
By James Slater - Where would we be without Twitter? In a better place, perhaps. Amir Khan, the WBA “super” champion at 140-pounds (as well as the IBF title holder) has read about the withdrawal Robert Guerrero was forced to make through injury, from his scheduled August 27th bout with “regular” WBA 140-pound champ Marcos Maidana - and Khan, via his Twitter page, has doubted the legitimacy of Guerrero’s shoulder injury.
Article posted on 19.08.2011
“No injury, I reckon Maidana paid off Guerrero step aside money, so he can become the WBA champ because I have moved up as WBA super champ,” Khan is reported to have written on his Twitter page..
Strange indeed if Khan has had these thoughts, because, A: Maidana is already the “regular” WBA champ and will remain as such even with the Guerrero fight off. And, B: why would a true pro like Khan question the legitimacy of a fellow pro’s injury? It makes me wonder, did Khan really write this, or not?
In any case, “El Chino,” as Maidana is known, has bitten; responding with strong words via his own Twitter account.
“Amir Con says I paid Guerrero money to step aside. What a liar Amir Con is! You’re the one paying around to avoid fight[ing] me again. You know it, you put it in writing to the WBA. I’d fight you tomorrow at your backyard. Stop running.”
Maidana maintains that Khan asked the WBA, via letter, for an 18-month “extension” regarding a return fight of the battle the two put on in December of last year. Maidana suggests Khan wants nothing further to do with him, and that he was lucky to have gotten through the first fight (maybe someone should remind Marcos he did actually lose the fight!).
This war of words appears to be heading nowhere, however, as Khan is in line to face the winner of the Sept. 17th, Erik Morales-Lucas Mattyhsse clash; probably in the U.S in December. Then, with a planned move up to 147 on Khan’s agenda, Maidana will likely be left to simmer down at 140. No doubt, the fans would love to see a Khan-Maidana II, as great as the first fight was - but it’s not likely to happen.
Regarding what he will do next, Maidana told Fightnews.com he is hopeful he will still fight on August 27th, with Golden Boy finding him a late replacement.
“My team and I made a huge effort by having a 12-week training camp and we don’t wanna throw that away,” he said. “Luckily, GBP is trying to get me an opponent and save the show. Let’s see if anyone dares to face me on August 27th.”
Let’s see indeed. But it doesn’t look too likely, seeing as how Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has told ESPN.com that the entire card has been postponed and will “hopefully be rescheduled for a later date.”
“Marcos Maidana obviously wants to fight. But on a weeks notice it is impossible to find a suitable opponent on such short notice,” Schaefer added.
We all know who Maidana would love to fight next, but it seems the Argentine will unfortunately have to bide his time as his promoters find another opponent for him later this year.
previous article: Tyson Fury fights on September 17th; Lundy vs. Diaz on Friday
next article: Guerrero pulls out of Maidana fight due to injury; Mike Oliver training for Juan Manuel Lopez bout