Boxing


Froch tales

Los Angeles (Tue., Aug. 30) This past weekend, I read where Carl Froch again spouted incorrect, inaccurate and misleading information about our WBA Super Middleweight World Champion and Olympic Gold medalist Andre Ward and their upcoming bout.

Throughout the press tour, Andre kept the proceedings classy and gentlemanly, despite knowing Froch was rambling on to the media only when he was out of Andre's presence. Froch is just learning about the big time, and what he doesn't understand is Andre is way ahead of the curve and he won't be drawn-in to respond to every foible comment Froch throws out there.

That being said, I want to make sure the blatantly irresponsible, damaging verbal assaults do not go unanswered by us.

Froch False Claim 1:

Froch comment on Sunday, August 28, 2011, "There have been stories about American boxers taking steroids, so you do wonder if people are taking things to give them the edge. I will be raising the question with my promoter Eddie Hearn and he will probably do something about it, whether it's a pre-fight drug test or blood test."


Super Six Contractual Fact:

All the participants of the Super Six Tournament, including Froch, contractually agreed upon the World Anti-Doping Agency ("WADA") mandated drug testing for each bout.

The World Anti-Doping Code was implemented in 2004 by sports organizations prior to the Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, blending the rules and regulations governing anti-doping across all sports and all countries. More than 600 sports organizations have adopted the Code to date, including this Super Six Tournament Final bout.

Ward Fact:

Ward has been aggressively pursuing all information and costs as it relates to the most stringent drug-testing program in America for boxers. He was on the record months ago in his pursuit of a clean sport and as recently as June 28, 2011, Andre was interviewed and quoted as follows about drug testing:

"I think Floyd [Mayweather] is on to something." "That's kind of the reoccurring theme right now, the fact that everybody is saying that all fighters should take the tests. It's not only great for the fans and people to know, but you're talking about people's lives. I wanted to take things a step-further and implement it, not just talk about it, and be one of the first to actually do it outside of Floyd Mayweather. I believe Carl [Froch] is a clean fighter, but I just think that with a fight of this magnitude, it would be great for the sport to implement something like Olympic-style drug testing. The goal is to go through with it even if Carl doesn't want to."

Froch Fact:

From the date of this article to this past weekend, there had been no word from Froch regarding Ward's stated desire to undergo the most demanding drug testing for this bout, despite it already being a WADA mandated test within the framework of the Tournament; and now Froch wants to state, "I'm not happy about Ward and Conte."


Sounds to me as if Froch is already making excuses in advance and undoubtedly barking up the wrong tree with Andre.


Froch False Claim 2:

Froch is on record claiming: "I've got dynamite in both hands."


Froch Fact:

In his last 6 bouts Froch has only landed one KO against Jermain Taylor, and that one in the 12th round of a fight where Froch himself was knocked down in the third round. The other 5 bouts went the distance.

The facts don't lie, and his self-proclaimed "dynamite in both hands" is a dud!

Froch False Claim 3:

"Sounds like [Ward]'s worried to me. Sounds like he's already trying to make excuses. I'm coming away from England to fight an American in America. He's got the advantages."

Ward Fact:

In explaining the misconception that having the fight anywhere in America would be an advantage to Ward, Ward stated that Froch had already fought in Atlantic City, while he had not.

This elicited Ward being worried or making excuses? It was just a fact.

Froch False Claim 4:

Froch said, "This is a guy who is an Olympic champion, he's very fast, very skillful, but to be honest I did a better job on (Arthur) Abraham than he did."

Abraham Fact:

"I think that the winner of the tournament will be Andre Ward. I have faced both Ward and Froch and know their abilities, and I give my preference to the American sportsman." -Arthur Abraham

The above 'false claims' are just a few of the many tales Carl Froch has indiscriminately and incorrectly thrown-out to provide hope for himself, with the caveat, Froch was sure to not make these comments in front of Andre Ward.

On the other hand, throughout the press tour, Andre Ward remained the professional, while keeping control of the day-to-day confrontations with Froch.

However, this last and most damaging innuendo to Froch's credibility is his comment from this past weekend alluding to 'the stories of American boxers taking steroids.' It is just a nasty, unprofessional statement and another failed attempt to reign supreme, verbally.

On October 29 at Boardwalk Hall Atlantic City, Andre Ward will show his supremacy over Froch with his fists doing the talking!

WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 19, FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 23RD AT UIC PAVILION

CHICAGO, IL (August 29, 2011) Chicago’s 8 Count Productions, has announced details of WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 19, a sensational evening of world class professional boxing on Friday, September 23rd at the UIC Pavilion.

Advance tickets, priced at $36 for reserved floor seats and $31 for general admission can be purchased in advance through Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com, the UIC Pavilion Box Office, (phone 312-413-5740) and the 8 Count Productions Office (312-226-5800.)

In the main event, Andrzej “The Polish Prince” Fonfara, will return to the UIC Pavilion battling in front of his huge legion of supporters from Chicago’s Polish Community.

The 23-year-old Fonfara, 18-2-1 (9KO’s), is riding a six bout winning streak, most recently stopping Anthony Russell in the seventh round on May 20th. His scheduled ten round bout against an opponent to be announced will see Fonfara defend his WBO NABO and WBC Youth light heavyweight titles.

In the co-main event, popular Chicago welterweight prospect Jaime “The Truth” Herrera will challenge battle-tested veteran Robert “The Wolf” Jones of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Herrera, 6-1-0 (4KO’s) comes off an outstanding third round knockout of Eric Draper on May 20th at the UIC Pavilion. Just 22 years old, Herrera is looking to stay busy in the second half of 2011 as he cements his position as among Chicago’s finest young prospects.

The upset minded Jones bring a record of 8-9-1 (3KO’s) into the scheduled six rounder. Last October brought the 33 year old his finest victory, a third round knockout of Pete Cantu at The Palace in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

In a six round special feature attraction, hard-hitting Ukrainian middleweight prospect, Viktor Polyakov will return to the Chicago fight scene. A native of Yevpatoriaa, Ukraine, now living in Chicago, the undefeated Polyakov brings a record of 8-0-0 with six stoppages into battle against an opponent to be announced.

Returning to the ring for the first time since 2008, all but one of Polyakov’s victories have come in the Chicagoland area.

WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 19 will also see four of Chicago’s finest newcomers in separate four round bouts, super bantamweight Sergio Montes De Oca, 4-1-0 (1KO), super bantamweight Juan Carlos Fernandez, 1-0-1, super featherweight Jeremias Correa, 2-0-0 (1KO) and pro debuting cruiserweight Dimur Ortuz.

Rounding out the card, Tacoma, Washington prospect Mike Gavronski, 2-0-1 (2KO’s), will see action in a four round super middleweight bout.

8 Count Productions, HOME OF THE BEST IN CHICAGO BOXING, was started by Dominic Pesoli in 1998 and has consistently presented the highest quality professional boxing events in Chicagoland.

Fighters currently under the 8 Count Productions banner include; super middleweight contender Donovan George, light heavyweight Andrzej Fonfara, junior welterweight prospects Ivan Popoca, Adrian Granados and Ramiro Carrillo along with welterweights Achour Esho and Jaime Herrera.

For more information on 8 Count Productions please visit their new website, www.8countproductions.com. Follow them on Twitter at 8_Count and Facebook at “8 Count Productions”.

Doors open at the UIC Pavilion at 7pm with the first bell at 8pm. The UIC Pavilion is located at 525 S. Racine, just one block south of the Eisenhower Expressway. For further information, please visit their website at www.uicpavilion.com. The UIC Pavilion is now serving alcohol at all boxing events.

Sanchez vs. Arroyo Named as ShoBox Main Event September 9

Team Puerto Rico's Hector "El Flaco" Sanchez (19-1, 9 KOs), is confident his extensive preparation will lead to victory when he faces fellow Puerto Rican Vincent Arroyo (11-1, 7 KOs) on a Gary Shaw Productions night of boxing on September 9 at the Grand Casino in Hinckley, Minnesota.

The 10-round showdown between Sanchez and Arroyo will serve as the night's main event and will be televised live on ShoBox: The New Generation on SHOWTIME® (11 PM ET/PT). A world-class cruiserweight showdown between red-hot punching powerhouse Lateef Kayode and respectable long-time contender Felix Cora Jr., will lead off the telecast.

"This is a great opportunity to get a little closer to my goal to fight for a world title and I will take advantage of it," said the 6' 1" Sanchez, who as an amateur won a bronze medal in the Junior Olympics in New Orleans.

Sanchez and Arroyo were originally scheduled to face each other on the Boricua Boxing II event held on June 11 at Roseland Ballroom in New York, but Arroyo was injured in training.

"Without a doubt I feel that this is indeed the best preparation I've ever had for a fight, because I know it will be a tough battle against Arroyo, who is a strong and very experienced fighter," said Sanchez, promotionally represented by Universal Promotions, Gary Shaw Productions and DiBella Entertainment.

For more information about Hector "El Flaco" Sanchez and Puerto Rico Boxing Team visit www.teampuertoricoboxing.com

Article posted on 31.08.2011



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Afolabi Opponent Injured; Pitalua-Rivera on September 9

next article: Sylvester - Proksa press conference




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact