Johnny Nelson: "I am prepared to wait to face Cantatore"
09.03.05 - After being notified by his promoters Sports Network last week that the his World Title defence against Italy’s Vincenzo Cantatore in Rome this Saturday had been postponed, Johnny Nelson is adamant the fight will take place. “I am led to believe that the Italian Promoters can stage the fight in six weeks time, and that the problem lies with the Italian television schedule,” said Nelson..
Article posted on 09.03.2005
In the unlikely event that Dale Brown (WBO-2) who is set to contend the vacant IBF 200lb Title and Pietro Aurino (WBO-3) previously beaten by Nelson and now campaigning at 175lbs taking up the challenge. Nelson believes Frank Warren will lobby the WBO to remove Cantatore from the No 1 ranking.
But former WBC International and undefeated European Champion Cantatore is certainly a qualified contender having lost only 3 times in 33 fights, 27 of those wins by KO. One of those loses came against current WBC Champion Wayne Braithwaite for the vacant WBC title back in 2002.He was stopped controversially in 10 rounds.
“Life would be a whole lot easier for Frank Warren if Enzo Maccarinelli (WBO-4) was installed as my mandatory challenger; it would be the obvious choice, it would make a fantastic fight in Maccarinelli’s back garden. Unfortunately I can’t see the fight taking place before the summer, I don’t believe Enzo is ready for it yet and I can’t wait around until he is,” said Nelson
It has been 6 months since Johnny was last in the ring, beating Rudiger May in 7 rounds, at 38 years old, time isn’t on his side.
“I have been in training since my last fight; I would rather wait 6 weeks than 6 months for the next one.”
After watching Nelson dance around an invisible opponent, pound the heavy bags and reel of lightening combinations during a pad work session, you would be forgiven for assuming he was still fighting at the end of the week.
“Its just another day in the office for me, I will be speaking to Sports Network this week informing them of my position. I don’t have a problem waiting, if the Italians can reschedule then so be it, after all they are the ones paying the money,” commented Johnny.
previous article: Amir Khan - What Price Glory?
next article: Valdez vs Paredes Top “Guilty Fight Night” on March 11
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top