Brook-Jackiewicz on Saturday; Bogere vs. Contreras on Friday
Kell Brook faces Rafal Jackiewicz in a World title eliminator at the Ponds Forge International Sports Centre in Saturday night in Sheffield – and promoter Eddie Hearn says it could be Brook’s last fight in the UK before he hits America.
Article posted on 04.10.2011
Brook puts his WBA Inter-Continental title on the line against the rugged former European Champion as he continues to knock on the door of the title holders in boxing’s toughest division.
The unbeaten 25 year-old has been linked with a number of blockbuster fights in the new year as a World title shot draws ever closer and Hearn, who was Stateside last week for Darren Barker’s big night with Sergio Martinez, believes he could be ready to make his American debut early in 2012.
“Every time I'm in America I'm bombarded with questions about Kell,” said Hearn. “We have already had some interesting offers and it's inevitable that Kell will make his mark there soon. Kell has that crossover appeal, superstar potential that will in time make him a global star. First thing first he has to deal with Rafal and do it convincingly – then we are going after that World title.”
Kell Brook and Rafal Jackiewicz will come face-to-face for the first time on Thursday when members of the media are invited to a press conference at the Mercure Hotel in Sheffield at noon for a 12.30pm start. Interviews with both fighters after the press conference will be available.
Friday’s weigh-in for the their clash and the full undercard fight on will take place at The Winter Garden at 1pm – with fight fans welcome to attend.
Six Questions With Friday's ShoBox Headliner Sharif Bogere
Jermell Charlo Takes On Francisco Santana In Co-Feature
Friday, Oct. 7, LIVE on SHOWTIME® at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast)
NEW YORK (Oct. 4, 2011) – Already a star in his native land of Uganda, current NABO lightweight champion
Sharif “The Lion” Bogere is ready to make a name for himself in his adopted hometown of Las Vegas.
The 22-year-old Bogere (20-0, 12 KOs), who beat Ray Beltran on ShoBox last May 13, takes on young prospect Francisco Contreras (16-0, 13 KOs) of the Dominican Republic in defense of his belt in a 10-round affair at the Dallas Events Center at Texas Station Casino in Las Vegas on ShoBox: The New Generation, Friday, Oct. 7, LIVE on SHOWTIME (11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast).
“This is my hometown fight,” Bogere said. “I don’t have to travel and I get to sleep in my own bed. My friends and family with be there watching. I’m going to welcome (Contreras) to Las Vegas and then I’m going to send him packing with a knockout.”
Question: You were on your country’s national boxing team. What is the biggest difference between the amateur and professional games?
BOGERE: “I think in the pros it’s mostly about concentration and you can’t take anyone lightly in the pros like in the amateurs. Every one is going after the same goal in the pros. It’s all about getting that world title belt.”
Question: Why did you decide to leave your home country to live and train in the United States three years ago?
BOGERE: “I knew I had to make the move in order to reach my ultimate goal. I wasn’t getting the proper training in Uganda that I needed to become a world champion. Here in Vegas there are so many pro fighters. I don’t have to go far to get the work in that I need to be the best.”
Question: What was it like growing up in Uganda?
BOGERE: “I really grew up in a tough part of the country. Boxing was my way out. It literally saved my life. There were kidnappings on the streets when I was a kid, but they stayed away from me because they saw potential in me.”
Question: How did you learn to box?
BOGERE: “I was really self-taught and now that I’m working with a world-class trainer like Kenny (Adams), I see things differently in the ring. It has been a little difficult just listening to my trainers and trying to do what they tell me, but I know I have to listen and do what they say. It’s the only way I’m going to keep getting better and keep my perfect record.”
Question: What will the SHOWTIME boxing fans see from you come Friday night?
BOGERE: “I think they’ll be most impressed with my power and my speed. I can hurt you in so many ways. And then there’s the ring entrance.”
Question: You came in the ring in a cage last time you fought. What is your plan this time out?
BOGERE: “I’ve put a lot of thought into the ring entrance. I will be carried into the ring in a cage by actual African tribesman. I know that boxing is about entertaining and that people who pay to watch boxing want to be entertained. They want to have fun. I’ll have the lion’s head and skin brought in again. It’s all part of the show.”
Curt Menefee will call the ShoBox action from ringside with Steve Farhood and Antonio Tarver serving as the expert analysts. Gordon Hall is the executive producer of ShoBox with Richard Gaughan producing and Rick Phillips directing.
Bogere vs. Contreras, a 10-round bout for the NABO lightweight championship and Charlo vs. Santana, an eight round junior middleweight bout, are presented by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Cerveza Tecate and AT&T. The doubleheader will be televised LIVE on ShoBox: The New Generation at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) on SHOWTIME.
Tickets, priced at $25 and $50, are on sale now and available for purchase at all Station Casinos and Fiesta Rewards Centers or through Ticketmaster by calling (800) 745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com.
Mayhem Boxing Babes - 2011 Results
Friday was fight night for sixteen beauties attempting to battle their way into the Mayhem Boxing Babes camp for 2011.
After two exhausting rounds of modeling, only five girls would progress. In between there was an excellent dance performance from the Scottish Rockettes and a very successful raffle. After the modeling was complete it was all down to a special panel of judges.
The decision makers were former British welterweight champion Kevin McIntyre, former Commonwealth super featherweight champion Ian McLeod (World Celebrity Boxing), Rockettes manager Carol Anne Deeney and Mayhem Babe Ellie “Left Hook” Eddington.
The judges named Natalie Gallagher, Dee Lincoln, Lauren Crainie, Lori Bain as the runners up, while the overall winner was Megan Currie. All girls are now part of the Mayhem Babes brand, as it continues to get bigger and better.
This was a great social event for Scottish boxing, which gave fans a chance to mingle with fighters and raise profiles accordingly. Due to the huge success, and positive feedback, Team Mayhem promised to make the show an annual occurrence.
Team Mayhem would like to thank everyone who took part, including the audience, who created a simply wonderful atmosphere. Mayhem Promotions would also like to acknowledge their staff, without whom, events of this caliber would not be possible.
’Let the MAYHEM begin!’ and the may this exciting journey continue...
previous article: ARENA inks fast rising Cuban light heavyweight star Sullivan Barrera; GB Boxing secures 4 places at London 2012
next article: Andre Dirrell: “When no one is blaming Abraham for what he did, or they blame me for not getting up—you know that’s a big problem there!”
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top